PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 12-01-2023, 07:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 451.36 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetraodontoxin View Post
...the format is RAR, which isnt even opening for me.
I forgot to mention, different issues could be at play here:
  1. the file does not open because you don't have an appropriate software (like PeaZip or 7-zip) which recognizes RAR, or
  2. the file might be corrupted in the forum's server, or might have been damaged at transmission, or both
If the file got corrupted but you have the appropriate software there's a silver lining, since all good compression formats include checksums which at least allow software to reliably detect corruption and alert the user (that's why I always prefer downloading compressed content, even if the compression rate is marginal; otherwise it could be difficult making sure the file was downloaded ok, unless a separate checksum is provided).
Old 12-02-2023, 07:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 59.45 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfuruti View Post
I forgot to mention, different issues could be at play here:
  1. the file does not open because you don't have an appropriate software (like PeaZip or 7-zip) which recognizes RAR, or
  2. the file might be corrupted in the forum's server, or might have been damaged at transmission, or both
If the file got corrupted but you have the appropriate software there's a silver lining, since all good compression formats include checksums which at least allow software to reliably detect corruption and alert the user (that's why I always prefer downloading compressed content, even if the compression rate is marginal; otherwise it could be difficult making sure the file was downloaded ok, unless a separate checksum is provided).
I was basically getting the error you’re stating. I tried three different devices on two separate networks and still had issues. But since others have had no issue with it, I’m thinking I lack the software.
Old 12-04-2023, 01:21 PM

I was able to get the RAR converted to PDF, I had to use my phone, for some reason the converting site I found worked on my phone but not a laptop or desktop.
Old 12-06-2023, 04:59 PM

Update, I was messing around and I figured out my desktop/laptop issue, I wasn’t decompressing the files before attempting to convert from RAR to PDF, I got my issues resolved so thanks a ton!
Old 12-06-2023, 06:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 451.36 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetraodontoxin View Post
...I wasn’t decompressing the files before attempting to convert from RAR to PDF...
Good for you, but for the last time: you can
  • decompress a RAR and get a PDF which (perhaps together with many other files) is stored inside it (in other words, extract a PDF from a RAR)
  • the same, but a file format which also represents a document (like .docx)/text (.html, .txt)/image (.jpg, .svg) and therefore can be converted to PDF
But saying "convert a RAR to PDF" is as meaningful as "convert a folder into a file".
Google Adsense
Old 12-08-2023, 07:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
I use PeaZip. Some time ago I started having problems with opening some compressed files including old ones turned out Peazip opens everything (so far) with ease.