PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 03-01-2010, 09:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.67 MB
Paint and detail your paper models :D

Hello All,

I've been working on putting color to a White test build I did of Janx's VF-2SS a while back. It was too much work to let alone as a white model so I pulled it out to give it sum color :D

I started with priming it with Mr/ Surfacer 500 which is bsically a spray thin puttly :P Stinky stuff but did good. I then laid on a coat of Citadel Space Wolves Gray which to my mismay has been discontinued :( I thought it was a tad light anyway for the scheme I was going for and settled for Model Masters Intermediate Blue. A little dark for the scheme but works well.

Note, don't ask me to mix colors as I'm color blind :P

After the spray job I started to lay on the other colors by hand paint. I do have an airbrush but the set up is not done yet and I need to learn how to use it anyway :P

Don't worry I'm getting to the real point of this thread next :P

G1
Attached Thumbnails
Paint and detail your paper models :D-02140002.jpg   Paint and detail your paper models :D-02180015.jpg   Paint and detail your paper models :D-02280015.jpg   Paint and detail your paper models :D-02270013.jpg   Paint and detail your paper models :D-02280016.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 03-01-2010, 10:07 PM

Here we go :D

I painted on a lot of the basic marking areas but for some of the detailed textrues I cut them out and used em like decals.

Janx had sent me a basic early textured model which I did a crude un-fold on to lift these textures from. Bah! you see how off I was on the color :P I'm color blind so the other pix I had seemed closer than I actually was. A sky blue would have been more on the mark. The darker color does work better since it's a Lo-Vis. space unit :P

Now on to the panel lines. I used print outs to place the panel lines and other small details. Using a sharpened mechanical pencil and a metal ruller I drew ont he detail lines. Now some of the parts had been altered by Janx since the proto I built so some adjustments were needed. On some small details I just used the cut outs as templates but most of the detail was done with the ruller.

Hope this opens up some ideas for other builders.

If you want to see more of this in prog. you can find it in the Figures and Anime section under VF-2SS.

G1
Attached Thumbnails
Paint and detail your paper models :D-02280019.jpg   Paint and detail your paper models :D-02280020.jpg   Paint and detail your paper models :D-02280021.jpg   Paint and detail your paper models :D-02280022.jpg   Paint and detail your paper models :D-02280023.jpg  

Old 03-02-2010, 07:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Impressive! I wouldn't think one would be able to get such a fine finish on paper using materials intended for plastic, but your results speak for themselves. It's equal to or better than some of the best offset printing on card models I've seen.

Get to know that airbrush of yours. I have a feeling you'll put it to good use.

Mike
Old 03-02-2010, 10:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via AIM to SEBRET
I agree. That finish is wonderful. looks like light plastic at a glance.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Getter:
How'd the Mr. Surfacer work on card? I use it on plastic models but haven't tried it on card. Any soak-through problems?

Wyvern
Google Adsense
Old 03-02-2010, 06:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 205.11 MB
Getter:
That looks fabulous. The paint doesn't seem to affect the paper at all. I have never tried Mr. Surfacer, but it looks to provide a very smooth surface for the painting. I'm looking forward to see how this turns out.
Thanks for sharing.
David
Old 03-02-2010, 07:16 PM

Thanks guys :D

The Mr. Surfacer did a fantastic job of prepping the surface :D I ran out and just used primer paint on a few parts and they didn't turn out quite as nice but those parts are not seen well. There was no soak through or sagging caused at all. I have another model that will need to be painted and will be getting it preped this week hopefully.

The Mr. Surfacer was a little expensive but well worth it. I think there's some kind of automotive light spray putty I read bout on the 1/1 Terminator thread, I'll have to look that one up again. I wonder if that stuff works well and is cheaper?

G1
Old 03-06-2010, 10:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Haven't tried Mr. Surfacer but have heard many good reports on it for plastic, resin and vinyl. Might have to give it a try in case my old standby gray automotive sandable primer doesn't work out on something.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 125.24 MB
Looks great. I'm getting an airbrush for my birthday. Can't wait to play with it.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:09 PM

Whulsey, It's great but a tad pricey. Very smelly to :P but the finish was to die for :D I only had 1 little can and nee dot get more. I found an online supply for that and Tamyia primer.

BARX2, funny that :P I got mine for last B-Day I got a Paasche. I still need to get it hooked up to the compressor. I had bought a Testors Mighty Mini a while back but never used. I figured the compressor would work but had to get an adaptor to get the to mate up. I haven't tested it to see if the compressor is up to the job but what I've read says it should work ok. I'll probably need to get a different one later on though :P

Here's another worthy pic for this thread. In it shows the tools I've been using to detial up the VF-2SS. Micron pens are great :D

G1
Attached Thumbnails
Paint and detail your paper models :D-03060017.jpg  
Google Adsense