PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 11-30-2007, 07:46 PM
Aviation Moderator

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Thumbs up Laminating tip

Ok - so when I've laminated formers before, I've always separated the pages with saran wrap to keep pages from getting glued to other pages that they shouldn't, or the book I use to weight it down (Organic Chemistry, if it matters). It doesn't work the greatest, because it sticks to the edges or gaps between the top pages (since typically formers aren't exactly a full page) - and then tears apart when separating everything.
Well, I was thinking of trying wax paper - but I didn't have any. When asking the wife, she wondered about using parchment paper. I wasn't sure about it - but I gave it a whirl. The results - stupendous! Neither the 3M type 77 or the elmer's spray adhesive (ran out of the 3M mid-job) stick to it at all! Now I've got reusable paper liners I can keep in my book in my spray area and use to separate pages for any future laminating jobs - Woot! :D
Old 12-01-2007, 07:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Please, a few words of explanation - is parchment paper a common house-hold product, or what? I would have guessed non-stick paper for use in the oven when baking, or something similar.

L.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Yes, parchment paper is the stuff that cooks use sometimes to prevent food, usually breads or pastries, from sticking to the baking sheet. You can buy it in rolls in the USA like you can buy plastic wrap, wax paper, and aluminum foil.

I never would have thought about using it like described in the first post. Great idea, thanks.:D
Old 12-01-2007, 08:25 AM
Aviation Moderator

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Exactly Leif - it actually makes good sense, but it's just something I didn't think about even trying until my wife mentioned it.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 12.31 MB
Great tip Dan! I may have some of this stuff. If not, easy to get here.

Google Adsense
Old 12-01-2007, 09:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 125.24 MB
Great idea! I'll bet it has some wax in it, like wax paper.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:33 PM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
A Kwik Wiki...,

Plant-based parchment

Vegetable (paper) parchment is made by silicone treatment of high density paper. This produces a cross-linked material with high density, stability and heat resistance. Applications include cooking and baking (cooking parchment, baking parchment). To avoid sticking to foods, silicone and other coatings can be applied to parchment.
A common use is to eliminate the need to grease baking sheets and the like, allowing very rapid turn-around of batches of cookies in a commercial bakery. It can also be folded to make moisture-proof packages in which food items are cooked or steamed.
Standard grease-proof or wax paper does not have the properties of parchment and will burn in most cooking applications.

+Gil