PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 06-18-2010, 12:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Of course leclerc, you can use my illustrations. Good luck to Indonesian paper modelers!
Old 06-18-2010, 12:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Want More!

Dear Peter:
We want more:p I like what you have done sofar please keep going.
Thanks
Miles
Does any one use a chisel knife blade 9only beveled on one side) to cut with? I've seen them mentined in old 1700's woodworking texts
Old 06-18-2010, 02:22 PM

Thanks for the education on edge cutting.

Excellent information that will help me build better. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Treating the edges-002_00a.jpg   Treating the edges-002_0a.jpg  
Old 06-19-2010, 03:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.74 GB
Well we learn someting new evey day
great tip
Old 06-19-2010, 04:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 41.26 MB
rutek63;

Thank you for taking the time and effort to make those excellent illustrations. They are very helpful, and you should get some sort of award for the illustrations alone, not to mention your clear explanations.

Visualizing at the same scale as your diagrams, what is your opinion of hard vs. soft cutting surface?

Do you have any thoughts regarding the use of scissors? I have heard that they compress the edge of the paper rather than mushing it up as knives can do. My own experiments are as yet incomplete.

Again: Thank you for the great tips.
Google Adsense
Old 06-20-2010, 10:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 55.12 MB
Thomas, what I have noticed is that the knife gives a slightly raised edge along the cut, similar to what happens with plastic sheet. Not so with scissors, the cut seems cleaner if not necessarily straighter I think it is due to a "plowing" effect vs. the shearing action of scissors.

Now I'm wondering if I shouldn't allows try and slightly undercut the printed side of the part - this would lessen the lateral force on the 'part' side of the cut, thereby lessening the raised edge. Tricky to maintain a correct angle, but with practice...?

Now we're really talking 'micro-modeling'!
Nobi Junkers SRF BETA build - BETA Build: Nobi's Junkers SRF 1:48 scale
Old 06-20-2010, 06:40 PM

Thanks guys! I'm working on the next post.

Miles,
I don't use chisel knifes, but a few years back I read about this German paper modeler who uses those with great success. Unfortunately, I don't remember his name and I can't find the thread.

Thomas,
I use a cutting mat, so I don't have experience with hard surfaces. If it comes to a comparison of the knife to the scissors, Robert provided the perfect explanation. Since the shape of the knife's edge is more like the plower shape, the side effect of cutting the card-stock with the knife is pushing the fibers of the card to the sides, which creates raised edges. this is exactly what the plower does to soil. To minimize that effect don't push your knife too hard. Don't be tempted to cut the card with one slash. I usually go three or four times before I cut through. Also if you push your knife too hard you'll create the lip on the other side of the card. You will also create that lip if you use stabbing motion cuts . Remember to shave that lip off before you glue the parts.

You're right about compressing effect of cutting with scissors. So, If I use them, or if I use knife to cut freehand, I always stay on the outside edge of the outline, and then I work the edge of the part with sandpaper.

Robert,
Undercutting the printed side of the card at an angle of 90 degree or less will definitely help.

We're talking precision that suppose to be a domain of all scale modelers not only in the region of the micro-modeling.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 41.26 MB
Some times when the parts are very small and intricate, it helps to flatten them on a board or sheet of glass between two sheets of paper by passing an old spoon or a burnishing tool over them while pressing down against the surface. This will help to consolidate the edges where they are disturbed by the knife.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 55.12 MB
Good one!

Thomas, another good tip... wish I had used it last night on that 1:144 NF-104A model...
Nobi Junkers SRF BETA build - BETA Build: Nobi's Junkers SRF 1:48 scale
Old 06-24-2010, 10:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 6.26 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Meek View Post
Some times when the parts are very small and intricate, it helps to flatten them on a board or sheet of glass between two sheets of paper by passing an old spoon or a burnishing tool over them while pressing down against the surface. This will help to consolidate the edges where they are disturbed by the knife.
Nice one Thomas. If I can add to your comment Sir, this is what I use on the edges. Its a wallpaper seam roller. Dirt cheap too. :D. Also works on small parts - even if they stick to the roller still presses the edges nice and clean.

Cheers
Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Treating the edges-dsc00111.jpg  
Google Adsense