PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Tips and Tricks

Old 01-20-2008, 12:02 AM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
Super Phatic Glue

I was wondering if anyone has tried Deluxe MaterialsSuper Phatic Aliphaticglue yet. The description is here:

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/adhesive.htm

+Gil
Google Adsense
Old 01-20-2008, 12:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
Don't know much about the super phatic, but the ZAP! is pretty good stuff.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:58 AM
Aviation Moderator

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Knowing aliphatic compounds from my organic chem and combining that with their description, I'd be worried that that this would be very liquidy and solvent based and may attack the paper rather than gluing it. Might be worth a try - but be careful.
Also, from the description I doubt it'd work well on coated surfaces, seems to really be meant for wood - and work on wood similar to the liquid plastic glues in that it almost 'welds' the pieces together at the joint.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hi,
I don't know if you can get it in your builders supply stores or supermarkets, but try PVA glue: http://www.thistothat.com/glue/pva.shtml
You only need as much wet glue on both surfaces to be joined, as you would find on the back of a wet postage stamp. Dry time is quick, just hold parts together until the glue binds.
If you want to strengthen a thin card model, it is best to buy 1/8" strawboard from a local picture framing service locally to you, then use the cut out parts as templates and draw around them with a black biro and cut out the strawboard parts and after you have glued the thin card parts together, use the 1/8" strawboard parts to trim then glue internally - painting both surfaces, using a brush, with PVA glue, as before, as wet as you would find on the back of a postage stamp, and carefully press join the parts together. If you have complex curves, then lightly wet the strawboard with water from under a tap, bend the strawboard to shape and set aside to dry. When dry, assemble as above.
You will be amazed how easily you will make a thin card model into a robust strong card model and how easily the parts hold their shape.
Also you can practice not using sandpaper and filler (shudder).
Richard
Old 01-29-2008, 11:50 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
Gil

The thinner glue permeates the paper much better and hitting it with the accellerant makes it very easy to set the shape of a part............... I use the thicker glue to "tack" parts together that are impossible to hold for a long time................I guess you could say it like tack welding..............once it's there I go back and use PVA to help afix the part permanetly and fill the gap between the parts.............

Booker...........Gil is a "Master Experimenter" he has developed may "new" techniques using different papers and pulp.......... he also works with then metals to creat seamless model parts................ Look closely at his avatar................that is a paper prop.........and paper engine

john

My Drawings
Google Adsense