PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Tirick's Projects

Old 08-10-2012, 10:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 53.52 MB
You can of course, do as you wish with the textures, as I will be including the UV map and a sample texture with the sets.

While I still have to finish the beta build of the rails and write instructions, I've since started a city road design. As roads tend toward 90 degree angles, there will be oddly shaped elements:

Tentatively I'll be designing around a 5-Hex 'block', or 150 meters, which is a little larger than a 'standard' New York block (130 meters or so). Of course all elements will be modular.

At the moment I'm planning 1,2,3 hex sections (center-to-center measurements, and cross-hex as shown below). A bridging section with ramps, a level rail crossing and maybe curved sections, depending on how I feel.

Generic city buildings may be next, although I'm frankly not certain. Lets get past this first.

Enjoy,
Tirick
Old 08-10-2012, 11:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Very nice project
Old 08-17-2012, 03:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Tirick, I don't want to hijack your thread, I did want to say that I've been working on a modular/stackable/linkable hexagonal terrain system. It might be of benefit to you and the things you're working on. Let me know if you'd like me to post the pics, I don't want to take away or detract from what you're doing here.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:08 PM

I would interested certainly. The more terrain the merrier! I've tossed a few full-board 3d hex terrain ideas around in my head, and rough modeled one, but realization of it will be a while; I've 3 dozen 'Mechs to texture and roads/buildings to make.

I'm always keen to see other designs, that is how ideas spread and grow.

Thank you,
Tirick
Old 08-17-2012, 04:17 PM

Cool Tirick, I'm glad to hear it. I'm not sure entirely, but given what I've seen you doing I'm fairly certain the terrain pieces I've designed would work with your figurines (though I don't have any clever ideas for slanted pieces I'm afraid). They hexagons are circumscribed in a 1.5 in. diameter circle (I designed them based off of Heroscape tiles/figurines).

I think the pics are self-explanatory but if you have any questions feel free, and I'll answer as best I can.
Attached Thumbnails
Modular 3d Hex Terrain (Hills)-01.png   Modular 3d Hex Terrain (Hills)-02.png   Modular 3d Hex Terrain (Hills)-03.png   Modular 3d Hex Terrain (Hills)-04.png   Modular 3d Hex Terrain (Hills)-05.jpg  

Old 08-17-2012, 05:16 PM

The joining mechanism looks quite neat. Do the hexes join/fit well at the faces as well as on the partial-hex?

In principle it would work with my terrain pieces (or in replace of), although yours are a little larger. Battletech hex standard is 32mm (1.25") I think; at least that is the standard I went with. I used 1/3 of a hex as my riser as it works nicely with even measurements at that scale(1/3 of a hex = 10m to 'map scale' in Battletech). It comes out to around 11 mm when printed as designed.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:55 PM

I think what I'm understanding from your question is how do the gaps look between whole tiles? The fifth photo shows the largest gaps that occur in adjacent tiles. If you removed the connectors (which aren't visible in the photos) you could bunch them together to close the gap. However, if someone strikes them (as they would be free-floating tiles) you might destroy/marr the game area. I could correct for the gap by making the lids a bit larger, but I think due to inaccuracies in cutting and folding the gap would be difficult to close perfectly.

I didn't mention it in my prior post but everything in the photos has been constructed without glue. It's pure cutting, folding, and assembly. Obviously using glue and a base would make everything more sturdy, but I figure it would make travel/transport a real hassle. Therefore, I designed everything with the idea that it can be flattened down into its original sheet form should the need arise. It also allows people who play together to generate fields on the spot (using scenario maps and such) as opposed to having to bring them pre-built.

As far as the dimensions, I think that Heroscape's interior portion (the decorative portion of the tile) is 1.25", but the outlying border is 1.5", and when it comes to cutting at such a small scale, I find every little mm added is much in your favor. The pieces are 1/2" tall so also 1/3 the width in terms of rise, but when stacked they allow you to produce 1/4" which look more like regular steps as compared to the figurines.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:34 PM

All free-folded? That is really clever. Storage of scenery is always a problem, especially when transporting.

For my own (and for terrain bits) I was considering using tiny dabs of tacky putty to keep parts in position. For the most part is should not mar the surface of the play area, or the pieces.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:26 PM

This was long delayed (Guild Wars 2 swallowed all of my free time in the last 3 months), but at last the train set is up and in the store. As noted in the original post, they are (and will remain) free. I'm having issues with my Joomla install and so there is no announcement post on the main page.

Thank you,
Tirick
Old 12-10-2012, 06:31 PM

Well, sometimes an idea takes hold and you just have to run with it (or model, as the case may be).

I have a design and mesh for a new set: Modular City Walls. This is designed again at 'map' scale, or 1:1000 (thereabouts). I have a few more fit-up pieces to make, as well as a few more weapon emplacements. I also clearly need to texture these, but I don't expect that to take too long.
The intent would be a fortified town, or even a field base.

It will come complete with modular towers designed to fit over the wall segments where desired, and turrets for defensive missions. The walls will be designed to tile with the hexagon standard for Battletech. The main door will be made of sections so it can be built open or closed (cunning use of putty might allow reposing). I will be making a second fitted door to section over the rail set.

The Cat in the picture is there for scale, and was my first attempt at 1:1000 scale mechs (my actual 1:1000 Mechs are in a different .blend file and I don't feel like merging them at the moment). The roads are there for demonstration as well, they will be actually included in a different set.

Anyway, enjoy. I hope to get this one completed/textured in the coming week. Instructions will take a little longer, so this might be ready in time for Christmas (free, as with the rest of this set).

Tirick