PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Tutorials

Old 10-04-2008, 09:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via AIM to APA-168 Send a message via Yahoo to APA-168 Send a message via Skype™ to APA-168
Designing in Sketchup-From beginning to end-designing a simple boat-Part 1

Ok, I know a lot of people are put off of designing by the high cost of many CAD programs. You need not be. Sketchup is a fantastic 3d program from Google that is available for free. Coupled with some free plugins and an SVG image editor like Inkscape and off you go.

Sketchup is, however incapable of doing hulls effectively. I know there are some other free programs available that are used with fantastic results (Metaseq comes to mind) for ship hulls, but I have yet to investigate them fully. So for this tutorial, we will be doing a simple landing craft using free drawings found online through internet search engines.

What you will need:

Google Sketchup, http://sketchup.google.com

Flights of Design SVG export plugin, http://code.google.com/p/sketchup-svg-outline-plugin/

There are a number of unfold tools, however my favorite is one that plugs directly into Sketchup. http://sketchuptips.blogspot.com/200...-unfoldrb.html
This is the one we will be using in this tutorial.

Finally, you need a program like Inkscape or Paint.net for editing your models. All of these programs can be dowloaded for Mac and PC or are cross-platform. Let me know if you have any problems with install/downloads.

Most of the same principles will apply to aircraft and armor, so if you don't do ships, don't go away. I have you in mind and we will also be building a simple tank for your landing craft to carry.

Feel free to ask any question along the way. This is my first tutorial and this will be a learning experience for me too. No question is dumb, feel free to PM me also for help if you need it. Next update tomorrow.

[email protected]
Google Adsense
Old 10-04-2008, 09:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.75 GB
Re: Designing in Sketchup-From beginning to end-designing a simple boat-Part 1

I'll be watching this thread and will chime in if I can help...

Ryan
Old 10-04-2008, 09:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to APA-168 Send a message via Yahoo to APA-168 Send a message via Skype™ to APA-168

Feel free to Ryan, like I said this is my first tutorial.

-Avery

[email protected]
Old 10-04-2008, 09:43 PM

FYI, I suspect that it's more capable of hulls than you think! It's mostly a matter of searching for the right plugins.

Ryan
Old 10-04-2008, 09:47 PM

That could very well be true, I have not fully investigated all the plug-ins yet, I only just now thought to find an SVG exporter for instance, so it is certainly possible. 8)

[email protected]
Google Adsense
Old 10-04-2008, 09:52 PM

One other thing that we might should do is compile a list of the best video tutorials already available for instance on YouTube. This would save some time with folks getting started. I've been working on something for www.Papermodelers.com (Maybe a Waybe Thread) but have decided to wait until I have some more stuff compiled before posting any more updates.

Ryan
Old 10-04-2008, 09:57 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB

awesome - love tutorials! I know lots of people are hoping for more ships
Chris
Old 10-04-2008, 10:01 PM

Ohhh boy! I just found a website with photos of a Culver Cadet restoration - which is going to REALLY help me with the correct profiles! So, full steam ahead soon.

Ryan
Old 10-05-2008, 05:44 AM

I will also be watching this very closely.

My design skills are way behind my design wants. One of those wants is to design and build a range of ships based on an historical event.

I would like the design and build style to be simple in principle and a common approach so to produce ships in a timely duration which can be classed as an "easy" build.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Cheers JTF
Old 10-05-2008, 09:06 PM

Well, for starters - anyone wanting to begin with SU REALLY SHOULD start here: http://sketchup.google.com/training/videos.html. For sure watch all of the "New to Google Sketchup" videos - although some of the videos towards the end you could probably skip - for instance cameras and animation stuff.
Next, watch the "Familiar with Sketchup" section - especially Mirror, Inferencing, Accuracy, and Autofold.
Another good resources is: http://www.aidanchopra.com/. I think he does pretty decent tutorials.
Oh, and for your ship - for starters you might want to try a technique here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk5I_tNw7TU (there are some easier ways to do what he's done but it's a start ) Or, you could do things like I've been doing them, and creating contours and using a combination of the terrain mapping feature and a plugin called "curve stitcher."

Ryan
Google Adsense