PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Tutorials

Old 10-14-2008, 12:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.44 MB
Designing in Metasequoia [A7V]

I know, none of you guys here lack any knowledge of the arts, and you don't have to read all of this. I did this for another forum, and I'll copy and paste the posts here. Don't mind the colors, if you need it all in one color, go ahead and say so.

Lesson 1: Programs and Uses

-Alright so this is a learning tutorial for anyone using Metasequoia, or Meta, as the more experienced modelers call it. Let's start off with links, and explanations.

Here is Metasequoia.

An overview of Meta- Metasequoia is a modeling program that can be used to create a readable format for pepakura. Meta, due to experience, is a really easy program to use, and once you know the basics, you'll grasp everything else. Most of it is really common sense. Depending on if you get the shareware or freeware, this tutorial will vary. This tutorial is focused on the freeware.

Next, you will need Pepakura. Which can be found...Here- Pepakura.

An overview of Pepakura- Most of you should know Pepakura, I believe, means folded paper. And since most of us are making models to be used as kits, an unfolding program is necessary. However, if you're using AutoCAD, I believe you're able to come up with templates by mapping. But that's another story. Anyways, pepakura is a perfect program for unfolding, and editing your templates. I deeply suggest you download Pepakura designer and Viewer Version 2, right after you install Pepakura Designer/Viewer 3.Depending on what you use, pepakura provides a variety of editing options, and other things. I advise you buy the password in order to save and export your work. It is definitely worth it. -Remember that formats are always read through the new versions, so keep checking the pepakura website for updates. Otherwise, you'll just get something from Wordpad, codes.

Then, you'll need Paint.Net, or GIMP. Both would be nice. You can find both here-
GIMP
Paint.Net

Whether or not you‘ve purchased a password, it‘s always a great idea to have a way to texture, save, and edit. Paint vectored programs are the answer! You can draw up your own textures, or modify some other ones!

An overview of Paint.Net- Now, if you don‘t purchase the Pepakura password, then if you want to save it, a Paint vector program is your next best answer. You can choose from either Paint.net or Gimp, whichever one you feel more comfortable using. Plus, if a blueprint or image you need for modeling is in a different format than JPEG, then you‘ll need a Paint program to save as a JPEG.

An overview of GIMP- Another extremely cool Paint vectorized program. I‘d use this to render, add weathering, decals and more to a model‘s templates. You can also do what you do in Paint, and apply it to GIMP. The only problem with GIMP is the number of tabs that pop up when you use the program. They are organized though.

The most important thing you need, is imagination, creativity, and most of all, PATIENCE. Most people think that models can be done in a three days. Other people may think that a model is done correctly if it was done in a week,, give a few. However, if you really want a fantastic model, it may take 2-3 weeks, sometimes months. Why?
-Modeling: Modeling won‘t be too difficult, but if you go to fast, you‘ll end up doing way too many unnecessary test builds. Trial and error shouldn’t be your goal. Modeling will probably take…3 days to a week depending on the material.

-Unfolding: Unfolding is easier, so probably a day or two. This is upon average.

-Testbuilding and Revision: This is what really takes the cake. Once you unfold, you MUST Testbuild to see if it came out fitting correctly. Now this goes back to modeling, if you didn‘t check your faces, you‘ll have to go back and re-fix one piece to make everything all right. This will take about 1 week to several months, depending on the material, and the time the builder has in each day.

Now, tomorrow I’ll post some actual beginnings for modeling. For today, here’s some vocabulary that I think you should need to know if you’re a beginner. This will ensure that you know what I’m talking about later.

Patience - It’s definitely hard to obtain patience, but in order to model, and come out with it looking great, you have to practice this. You must give your work time to be critiqued, and revised.

Modeling- A way the paper artist can recreate or create ideas through 3D CAD. The finished product can later be used in pepakura to go under the process of unfolding.

Kits - Kits, not Crafts! Kits are what you call crafts, but in this thread, they are called KITS. Because like a model kit, you wouldn’t call it plastic crafts! After all, you do want paper to stand up against them plastics!

JPEG - A type of file image used in Meta for Background Images.

Flat Texture - Texture that is created through a Paint vectored program, then projected into a modeling program through UV Mapping.

Real Texture - Texture that is actually there, which you can feel. For example, if you have a wheel, you can give it 3 strips of narrow paper that make up a tire’s texture. This gives the kit a more realistic projection.

Blueprints - Fancy term for Background Reference images. You can basically get any image, save it as a JPEG, and use it as your base of reference.

Meta - Also known as Metasequoia, a modeling program that when a model is completed pepakura can read, and unfold it.

UV Mapping - A function in which you can map out a texture, planning where it will be projected, and which parts of that texture will be shown.

Google Adsense
Old 10-14-2008, 05:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Re: Designing in Metasequoia [A7V]

Thanks for this thread Soaring.

I'm aways learing something new about Meta every time I turn it on.

Cheers JTF
Old 10-14-2008, 07:37 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB

Great stuff! I am gonna have to read again later to digest too
Chris
Old 10-14-2008, 08:13 AM

Makes me happy that you guys like this tutorial so far. I'll have more once I return from School and Cross Country practice.

By the way, I'll be using the A7V for modeling.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.84 MB

always on the lookout for tutorials. hopefully you wont do any more in the blue. hurts my old eyes tryin to read it.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:28 PM

I'm sorry Nothng, I was actually writing this on a different forum, and it was late...So I just copied and pasted it here :D
Old 10-16-2008, 11:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.84 MB

lol ;Djust pikin