PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Tutorials

Old 07-20-2009, 09:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
I think that theoretically there should be a pair of oars for each thwart. For modeling, it is sort of like seasoning your food - put on as many as you like. Usually 2-6, depending on size, gives a nice appearance. Remember to color the edges.

As for a book of tutorials, I don't know. You may notice that most people have their own ways of doing things and I just sort of put things out depending on requests and interest of people, with the thought that they can at least start people with less experience to go down the path.

Carl
Old 07-20-2009, 12:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
The number of oars is determined not by the number of thwarts but by the number of rowers. The number of rowers then determines the rowing method. A good way to tell how many rowers you need is the check the number of oar locks or crutch plates. This picture shows the number for typical boat types (Source ~ Admiralty Manual of Seamnship Vol 1, 1979, BR 67(1)).
Attached Thumbnails
Ships Boats-oars-1.jpg  
Old 07-20-2009, 12:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
Good to know if I ever make a large scale ships launch (and I would like to!) but my little 1:250 launches have neither the oarlocks or crutch plates visible, so I will have to guess. I would assume that the larger launches would be double banked.

I would love to do a large scale 1860s landing party with a large launch, boat howitzer tube bow mounted, 12 rowers-riflemen, 12 gunners, the steel howitzer carriage aft, and two officers. Each gunner also had the usual pistol and cutlass as well as one howitzer round in a brass and leather shoulder pouch. Each rower had his rifle, accouterments, and sometimes cutlass style bayonet. For a while I was with a group that did a Confederate Navy landing party with everything but the launch. A great little unit for reenacting, you had a light weight gun with infantry support built in! Any how, that kind of launch with 3-D figures would be cool in 1:12 scale or so. Then the Clutch plates and oarlocks, along with all other details would be visible! I gues it would be a bit big though, something like 35 inches.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.93 MB
Hello to you all,

I like to detail the boats on a ship; I think it depends on what you set the point of view. For example a pic of the betabuild of the SANTA INES. Lifelines and the oars are from our etching frame. For the first it looks nice; the second view shows all the things, I've forgotten ... the gunwale is not printed or cutted out; the row-locks are forgotten... and a lot of details ....

A lot of details you have thinking over .. nobody is perfect ... but we are all work on it ...

With lovely greetings
the Wilfried
Attached Thumbnails
Ships Boats-detail-i.jpg  
Old 07-20-2009, 03:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
Wow, Wilfried. I compliment you on your interest and your patience! I am only gradually beginning to regard boats as anything more than unavoidable nuisances. You are inspiring me to do better.

Carl
Google Adsense
Old 07-20-2009, 10:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
CT, here's a .jpg of some oars. Each oar should be a little over 0.5" long. Let me know if it works for you.

Carl
Thanks very much!!