PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Tutorials

Old 07-19-2009, 11:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
Ships Boats

Since at least one person asked me about this, I've photographed steps that I use to make ships boats.

Please note that I sort of rushed through and did not take the time to do the usual edge coloring and touch up that would make the finished piece look nicer.

I'm using one of my own designs (from Victoria) for this tutorial and others will differ in details but the process adapts.

One of the things that spoils the look of a finished boat is "bowing" where the deck bulges up. Although my process attempts to take most of the load off of the deck I still like it to be a little stiffer so I will double it. With tiny thwarts on this 1:250 model I don't like to try to cut through two layers at once so I use my standard technique for detailed cutting out of laminated parts. The first photos shows how I have cut out the interior bits very carefully. I do the crosswise cuts first without removing any paper so that the eventual waste parts help old the fragile little webs straight. I also cut away from all the corners so as not to risk chopping them off. I like do this before cutting out the part because it is easier to hold while doing accurate work.

That first picture also shows the hull cut out and a prototype of a new design for the main guns of Victoria - much easier to make neatly and straight.

Then, I glue the deck down onto my doubling piece, taking care to get a little glue on each little bit without mushing the adhesive around too much past the edges.

While I let this dry, I'll start on the hull...
Attached Thumbnails
Ships Boats-p7190022.jpg   Ships Boats-p7190023.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 07-19-2009, 11:50 AM

I find that the Roly Stik that Shrike sells to be just the perfect tool for this part.

First I roll the hull piece the long direction.

Then I take the blunt and rounded end of the tool and round the bows of the hull. I rushed it here so there are crinkles around he edges but it is possible to do it slowly without a lot of pressure and get the same result with smooth edges.

The third picture shows the bow end on as I check to see if the edges line up perfectly before gluing. The idea is to have everything fit nicely before gluing. Even Don can do this I am certain!

The fourth phot shows the glued hull along with the doubled deck cut out. Note that when the deck is cut out along the outsides, these cuts should angle in to match the taper of the hull when the deck is installed.

Also, for larger boats and almost all 1:200 boats I will triple laminate the deck following the same procedure.
Attached Thumbnails
Ships Boats-p7190024.jpg   Ships Boats-p7190025.jpg   Ships Boats-p7190026.jpg   Ships Boats-p7190027.jpg  
Old 07-19-2009, 11:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 53.69 MB
Either that is a VERY big hand.....................

or a VERY small boat!
Old 07-19-2009, 11:57 AM

I test fit the bow of the deck into the hull piece, holding it from aft with long, flat tweezers. I usually have to pinch the bow a little bit as I glue to get it to conform. My decks are designed to fit inside the hulls.

I will glue just the bow it, making certain that it is not tilted and is in line with the axis of the hull. After the bow sets I do a second gluing, extending the glued portion back about another third of the length of the deck, keeping everything square, plumb and just inside the edges of the hull.

Eventually the entire deck is glued in as shown in the second picture. Note that the hull is designed deliberately long and I will trim that off before finishing. To finish I apply a small counter piece over the stern and stick a couple little oars on. I haven't been able to find that there is any definitive pattern to how the oars lie so you can make up your own. Most of the detail photos I have actually show oars piled in a bundle at one side of the thwarts or the other.

And now your little boat is done!

Carl
Attached Thumbnails
Ships Boats-p7190030.jpg   Ships Boats-p7190031.jpg   Ships Boats-p7190032.jpg  
Old 07-19-2009, 12:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Thanks Carl, that will help greatly in the future. And I'm also quite impressed that you got both hands in some of the photos!
Old 07-19-2009, 01:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
Wow, great timing Carl! I am working on an old Russian Battle ship...well I haven't started the ship yet but I have been tinkering around with the ships boats. I have two down, after much silent cussing, and they look OK. However, I am going to try your methed on the others, as It seams to make things line up much nicer. I guess I was doing things exactly backwards! I am glad that you posted this before I got to far along! Thanks,
CT
Old 07-19-2009, 01:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.93 MB
Thank you Carl,

sometimes it's fine to see the other did it the same way I do...

With loveley greetings
the Wilfried
Old 07-19-2009, 01:34 PM

Thanks you guys.

I also wanted to comment on edge coloring. The edges of the deck, all of them, need to be colored. With a black edged hull I usually color a strip on the inside of the hull also.

I am finding that I am happer to do my edges coloring (except black) with acrylic paints rather than pens for inkjet printed models.

Padre, it is a 28 ft. whaler, so about 1.3 in. at 1:250. Not small compared to the canoes and "you-yous" that also garnish the ships of the era.

[edit] Wilfried, if you do it like this then I must be doing something correctly!
Old 07-19-2009, 04:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Excellent! Many thanks for another very useful tutorial. I have captured it and printed it out to add to my loose-leaf volume of the Collected Wit and Wisdom of a Golden Bear (which already includes one earlier account I filed as "Boats by Carl" as well as "Rigging by Carl," etc.).

These beautifully-illustrated tutorials are one of the great pleasures and, along with the camaraderie and chance to see exemplary work, provide another reason why this Forum is so valuable.

Someday, I hope to use all this material when I try to build my Lavoisier and the Peder Skram.

Don
Old 07-19-2009, 05:25 PM

OK, Don, I've gotcha. I have proof that you've read the thread and seen the photo of matching edges BEFORE gluing! Now I want to see you do it yourself!! This is a one of a kind personalized GB modeling contest for which you will receive a GOLD STAR! upon completion.

Carl
Google Adsense