PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Tutorials

Old 08-05-2009, 01:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Wilfred, thank you for your contribution to the subject matter of this tutorial. It is amazing what we can all accomplish working together! Yesterday, I was thinking about the possible differences in watercolor pencils, such as acidity, solubility and hardness to name a few. The pencils used in the tutorial are General's KIMBERLY. I will definitely get the Faber-Castell "Albrecht Duerer" range of pencils and try them. Recommendations from an experienced professional are always most helpful.

It's nice to meet you and I thank you very much!

It's my hope that everyone that tries the method shown in the tutorial, will post a message to let us know how the procedure worked for you. Please do not forget to try this first on a an old model or purpose built sub-assembly until acceptable and repeatable results have been achieved. Let's have some fun and meaningful interactions within this great hobby of ours.

- Denny

Last edited by Denny; 08-05-2009 at 01:28 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
The tutorial is now converted to a pdf booklet and printed out for easy reference.
I have not tried the technique out yet, though.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
An excellent and useful tutorial, well illustrated. Many thanks.

Don
Old 02-27-2010, 05:54 PM

This is the kind of thing that make this site so AWESOME! absolutely supurb
Old 02-27-2010, 06:05 PM

I would also be very interested in the PDF that SCEtoAUX mentioned
Thanks

Dennie
Google Adsense
Old 03-01-2010, 01:45 PM

PDF File

Dennie, I'm glad that you enjoyed the tutorial. The PDF file for the template can be found in the fourth post of this thread. Just click on the highlighted attachment. The PDF of the article that SCEtoAUX is refering to is his own I believe and is not on this website, but I could be wrong.

I've been away from the forum while developing my own personal work flow for designing in 3D using TurboCad, Hexagon and Pepakura Designer in that order. Learning each piece of software and the design process sure has been taking a long time. My only design prior to now is a flying RC paper model designed in 2D that is nearly finished. My current design is a Colonial Viper that is more of a learning exercise so that I can develop more complex designs in the future. I will be contributing to the forum again soon.

Thanks, Denny
Old 03-01-2010, 08:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 9.68 MB
Vellum finish card stock

Denny,

Wonderful tutorial and this ole dog learned lots of new tricks. Thanks for your effort in posting it.

I found the General Set of water color pencils, a 24 color set, and the color wheel at Hobby Lobby
Already have the Manual pencil sharpener, the Elmer's Glue- All, the toothpicks and the model.

I have looked at Staples, Office Max, Hobby lobby, & Michael's for the 110 lb. Card stock (vellum finish) . No problem with the Card stock, just no one knows what "vellum finish" is. Could you tell me where you found yours and is there a special name or brand?

At Sally's I found a glass "emery". Is this the same as a glass file?

TIA for any info you can give me in locating these items.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:41 PM

Color Mixing Supplies

Great to hear from you Bill! The weight of the paper is not that important so you can use 67 lb. as well. In this case 'Vellum' is a type of finish and not a type of paper. There is translucent Vellum which is a type of paper and I use it as a bearing surface for moving parts that contact each other.

Lately I have been using XEROX 67# Vellum Cover. It can be purchased at Office-Depot and can be found online for sure. The Vellum surface has valleys and crevices that will hold larger amounts of colored pencil for a given area which is just what we want. Just noticed that the paper listed online is Ivory colored and not white, which is not good. Hopefully the store will have the white, I'm sure I purchased it there. Otherwise you will have to search elsewhere.

The fun thing about mixing and coloring like this is that it brings out the artist in us and it is challenging and fun too!

The glass file that you have appears to be fine. I'll get one like yours and try it. We cannot have too many tools!

The following links have information on paper surfaces including the Vellum finish that we have been referring to.

Paper Finishes Demystified for Specialty Paper from The Paper Mill Store

eBay Guides - Paper Weights and Finishes

Here is a link with vellum finish papers.

The Paper Mill Store .com

When you get the color mix right but it is not dark or light enough, just add white or black in very small amounts rather than adding any other color.

This does take some practice but is worth it.

Good luck and enjoy!

Denny
Attached Thumbnails
Mixing and Color Matching Watercolor Pencils-vellum-cover-67-lb.jpg   Mixing and Color Matching Watercolor Pencils-vellum-finish.jpg  

Last edited by Denny; 03-02-2010 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Added link for source of Vellum finish papers.
Old 07-05-2019, 04:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 304.26 MB
Seems like an excellent tutorial - if only Photobuckeet hadn't stamped their watermaark on every photo obscuring the content! WTF? A forum member makes a great effort to help all of us , and a service he used sabotages his work! I for one will not use photobucket!!
Old 07-05-2019, 06:45 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
Seems like an excellent tutorial - if only Photobuckeet hadn't stamped their watermaark on every photo obscuring the content! WTF? A forum member makes a great effort to help all of us , and a service he used sabotages his work! I for one will not use photobucket!!
Ok. In a ten year old thread, guess you dont have to use it.

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Google Adsense