PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Tutorials

Old 05-16-2021, 12:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 127.22 MB
Maurice,
What you say about Micael is true, I fully agree.
About your comment on my existence and terrible behaviour. This morning I burned my models and cut off my right hand. After that I smashed my son’s computer. I promise never to bother you again.
Thanks anyway. It’s just paper...
Old 05-16-2021, 02:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 219.9 KB
No No !!!
Please - I was trying to pay you a compliment.
Old 05-16-2021, 04:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 79.93 MB
Thank you for effort

Hello Abhovi,

i just wanted to say thank you very much for your effort,

Scratchbuilding a model is one thing, but also making a tutorial is another thing. Now one has a plan to build such a model.

Thank you very much!!! Especially since sailing ships are the king respectively the Queens of the sea!!!
Many thanks from germany

Thomas

Last edited by Oldenburger67; 05-16-2021 at 04:51 AM.
Old 05-16-2021, 03:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.62 GB
Thank you very much for writing up and posting the ship building tutorial.
You made a very intimidating subject a lot more approachable.

Here are some hints about making your own scale size ropes and hawsers
Rigging: Making rope without ropewalk
A three or four strand hair twister can be used as the basis of a miniature rope walk.
How to scratch-build a simple period ship-battery-hair-braider.jpg
You can simplify construction of your model ship by printing gratings, rather than building them from paper strips.
Old 05-16-2021, 04:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.62 GB
You can simplify construction of your model ship by printing gratings, rather than building them from paper strips.
There are many internet sites with wood pics: wood identification libraries, sites for woodworkers, wood texture collections , from which you can download pictures of wood surfaces that you can use to make paper planks.
Enter "wood textures" into your favorite search engine
or go to one of these sites for wood images
HobbitHouse Wood ID site (wow!!!!!!)

Wood Identification Guide | The Wood Database
Identification Of Common North American Woods
and many others, too numerous to list them all.
Attached Thumbnails
How to scratch-build a simple period ship-ships-grating-texture.jpg  

Last edited by John Wagenseil; 05-16-2021 at 04:15 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 05-17-2021, 12:10 AM

You are right John, I only scratched the surface. For carved decorations for instance I use two component stuff called Magic Sculpt. See my other threads. There are lots of other suggestions to make the job easier. Finding solutions is one of the creative ways to build a scratch-build model. And it never costs you a week's pay. If you don't like the result, discard it and start anew. :-)
Old 07-08-2021, 10:08 AM

building a fluit

Since this tutorial was about simple period ships, why not extend it to another simple ship of that time, the fluit. It's a ship type that keeps intriguing me for some unclear reason. I can understand why many people prefer men-of-war with a lot of guns, nice carvings and impressively high masts. Still, this simple work horse, of which so little is left is something that keeps me puzzling. So let's build a fluit!

How to scratch-build a simple period ship-fluit-kopie.jpg
1 Painting by Ludolf Backhuyzen

The ship I will show here is a typical example of a Dutch 17th century merchantman, used for transporting grain, wood, iron, copper, leather, fur, wax, pitch, tallow, hemp and alum from the Baltics. In turn other products were brought from Holland to Scandinavia like: butter and cheese, herring, paper, linseed and hempseed, rye, wheat, woolen goods, yarns, linen, wine, brandy, guns and many more products, even spices, fetched from the Asian trade. For transporting goods to the south of Holland other fluits, bigger ones, mostly armed, were used, distributing Scandinavian goods all over Southern-Europe and bringing back many popular southern products like wine, luxurious goods, fruit and.... silver and gold.

How to scratch-build a simple period ship-fluit_3.jpg
2 An earlier effort to build the Ghostship in paper.

For who didn't know: The fluit was a characteristic ship: wide lines enlarged its loading capacity as much as possible, and on top of that a very recognizable stern with a narrow top, causing the bulbous 'hips' aft. Perhaps the peculiar shape of the ship is one of the reasons why many of the fluits shown on forums like this never reached the finished stage. This post might bring some light for who is interested in this iconical ship type.

How to scratch-build a simple period ship-bak7.jpg
3 Picture of the Ghostship, taken at 120 meters deep in the Baltic Sea.

The model described here is loosely based on a small ship, which almost untouched rests on the bottom of the Baltic Sea, 120 meters below the surface. It is known as the 'ghost-ship', due to the carved heads of the knights and bitts, which seem to stare upwards in a sort of spooky way. It's a small ship, maybe 90 feet long and the fact that all the woodwork seems to be intact is due to the brackish water of the Baltic Sea, which does not host the teredo navalis, the greatest threat to wooden shipwrecks in salt water. On the other hand, iron does rust in water and many parts of the ship that were nailed in place (like for instance the carvings of the stern) have fallen off. Nevertheless the vessel looks miraculously intact. Good drawings, based on many hours of footage shot by a submarine robot, were made by Niklas Erikson, a Swedish archaeologist. Apart from his pictures I used the knowledge from the Dutch shipbuilding literature, mainly Witsen and Van Yk and many prints, drawings and paintings, done by the marvelous Dutch artists of the era. As always, my good Belgium friend Rene Hendrickx with his remarkable skill to work with the free downloadable shipbuilding program Delftship helped me to work out the shape and construction of my small model on 1/77 scale. I did this ship before, but with different lines. (A 17th century Dutch fluit) This time I wanted to improve the underwater lines.

How to scratch-build a simple period ship-schermafbeelding-2021-07-08-om-17.04.03.jpg
4 Drawing made by Niklas Erikson.

How to scratch-build a simple period ship-persp.-2.jpg
5 Delftship rendering of the new lines plan by Rene Hendrickx.

How to scratch-build a simple period ship-zijaanzicht.jpg How to scratch-build a simple period ship-doorsnede.jpg How to scratch-build a simple period ship-vooraanzicht.jpg How to scratch-build a simple period ship-achteraanzicht.jpg
6 t/m 9 Draughts.

To be continued.
Attached Thumbnails
How to scratch-build a simple period ship-fluit_2.jpg  
Old 07-08-2021, 10:37 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
To be continued . . . absolutely!
I am on board to learn more, and for another inspiring voyage.
Mike
Old 07-08-2021, 12:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Looking forward to the journey, sir
Old 07-08-2021, 12:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 75.37 MB
Another great follow up and learning experience not to be missed!

Fred
Google Adsense