PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Tutorials

Old 03-25-2010, 02:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 51.85 MB
Send a message via AIM to ThunderChild Send a message via Skype™ to ThunderChild
You're doing very well so far! Nice model. Never underestimate the power of tutorials! :D
Your biggest asset is the fact that you didn't give up. Don't worry, you'll develop, improve and refine your own style in no time. Congrats!
Old 03-25-2010, 07:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 70.75 MB
Send a message via MSN to Lex
Just to add that cutting is not limited to one edge at a time, there is a neat function to cut along the shortest distance between two points, which will help divide a model into parts in Pep quite quickly.

I also second with Lancer's point that Pep is not the best in the world, but I found when dealing with especially fully textured models I couldn't come up with a name better than Pepakura, or am I missing out?
Old 03-25-2010, 09:56 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
A quick method of scaling is to use "maurice's rectangle" if you create a rectangle which touches the extreme ends of the model in Meta. Unfold the whole model in Pepa scale up the drawings until the rectangle is big enough for a reasonable measurement, print, actually measure the length from the prinout. Then use (required model/measured length)*scale factor in Pepakura to get the scale factor you can use it on any odd bits you modify.

I would suggest you use something like PDF995 (free) for output Pepa's output leaves a lot to be desired if you output it as a bmp file.

Old 03-25-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry View Post
A quick method of scaling is to use "maurice's rectangle" if you create a rectangle which touches the extreme ends of the model in Meta. Unfold the whole model in Pepa scale up the drawings until the rectangle is big enough for a reasonable measurement, print, actually measure the length from the prinout. Then use (required model/measured length)*scale factor in Pepakura to get the scale factor you can use it on any odd bits you modify.

I would suggest you use something like PDF995 (free) for output Pepa's output leaves a lot to be desired if you output it as a bmp file.
Sorry let Me see if I'm following You.
Create a rectangel face as big as the model or close. When unfolded this piece would be the measuring guide for scaling the final print. Is this roughly the idea?
Old 03-25-2010, 05:26 PM
Eternal Member

Scaling pepa

I write things badly these days so I've added a drawing which is probably better, as you can see I use the length.

When you do the full unfold if you look under "2d pattern" window click on "Scale Up down.....by specifying value" this a box showing the scale used by Pepa and if you multiply that by the ratio of your 2 measurements you get the correct size out of pepa. If you save that number you can unfold any individual part to the same scale.

I hope this makes things clearer
Attached Thumbnails
Unfolding?-pic_00273.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 03-25-2010, 09:09 PM

Holly cow! Barry, thank You! Actually, it was Your writing that brought it home. I kind of got the rectangle in meta. It was the scaling in Pepa that was eluding Me. I believe I understand. I'll have to put it to work. Still cleaning all the little things. Then, I go to war with Pepa.

Thank You again Barry. And thanks to all for great advise and kind words of encouragement.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:11 AM

Update

Good news, this is progressing faster than I imagined. Thanks to some new found motivation and no doubt tons of help from You all.
I have successfully unfolded the fuselage. At this point I have simplified the wings, tail and spinner. I still need to reduce the number of faces for the canopy but I think it'll be a redo. Should be fairly easy.

Alpine is excited.

I have been working on a map for this model and that will eat up some time. Here is a preview. This is Paul Bonhomme's '94 Red Bull Air Race Extra 300s. Still needs work but I love the scheme.

Thanks again Guys. I'll post more screens of actual progress tomorrow.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 9.68 MB
Pepakura

A most interesting thread. I have downloaded Pepakura_Viewer 3 and am just starting to learn what it will do. As a total new comer to papermodeling and know little about 3D computer design (:pretired in 1992 as a pension consultant) could someone please refer me to a source of information on Pepakura thats not in Japanese and a possible Tutorial on same. Thanks in Advance for and information and will continue to study this thread.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:33 PM

Well, I have been caught up in this model pretty deep the last few days. As I said before I am learning fairly rapidly at this point. Not all great for this model in particular. The more I play with it, the more issues I find. I still beleive I will eventually complete this model. However I may do two versions. One small and simple (wings, fuse, landing equipt with opeque canopy .then, a larger and more detailed model with cockpit, ailerons, rudder, elivader and such.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
I read this earlier and it stuck in my head for some reason. I don't use the software you are using... however, I will say that if I did and got stuck, Barry is the man that could get me right. I would mine that particular lode.

On the idea of unrolling pretty models. I use Rhino, which has some built in lay out functions - I won't talk about their problems - and really superior interface and modeling features. I discovered early on that I can make very nice models but that this doesn't help me when it comes time to lay out the pieces. At this point I have a sit down with myself before starting on a CAD model and think about how I want the pieces to be when I make a model. I now design the pieces for the model rather than starting with the model. Does it sound subtle? I do know that it is a key for successful designing.

And yes, I have actually discarded an entire pretty CAD model and started from scratch once I realized that the model was not going to take me to a paper model. Just my rambling brain running loose while I'm trying to do some CADding myself.

Carl
Google Adsense