PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Tutorials

Old 04-03-2010, 11:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Thanks guys, I have hit the wall again. Not so much with the software but more with My head. I have been learning allot and much credit to You folks for many useful tips and ideas. Fact is I need to put this one down for a bit and just build! I will be printing the extra and doing some test building. But, the fact is I could use some more experience building as I believe it will lend to designing.

I originally put this aircraft together for scale and now I am struggling to keep it simple. I need to get some glue on My fingers!

Thanks again I am sure I'll be here again pleading for advise soon.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:13 AM

Mike:

That wall is there for a reason.

When you're taking on a complex project, there is always an issue, a difficulty, an error, or some other fault that needs to be addressed. Since so much of our minds are taken up with trying to learn new procedures in software, the other parts of our minds that are taken up with design aspects don't always have time to catch up.

Case in point: Last summer, I started designing a model I've wanted for decades. It is the single most complex thing I have ever undertaken in either modeling or my profession (museum curator). The Montana-class Battleships. I finally got to the point where I had some confidence with the project by the fall, and could finally announce it to the community. That was 5 or 6 months ago. I'm still finding problems, issues, design flaws, and all sorts of things, but I discovered that when I laid it aside and worked on more mundane things, that a solution or workaround would present itself. I have chalked it up to the other parts of my mind catching up with the project in terms of how I am learning the softwares I am using to design the thing.

Take a step back, breathe, don't actively think about what you're trying to accomplish, but rather look at what you've accomplished already. That's what's kept me sane. That and the couple of guys who have been alpha-testing the fit of certain components.

You'll get there. You're motivated enough, and what you've learned already will be a stepping stone to where you're going. Relax, and don't force it! Your brain is well up to the task. Trust me on that one...
Old 04-06-2010, 04:58 AM

I switch between designs as a way of taking a break.

Cheers JTF