PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Tutorials

Old 04-20-2010, 06:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
LED lighting in paper models - How To?

I'm interested in adding some LEDs to models I'm building. I've done one LED project in the past, but for it I had nice chunks of wood to screw down battery packs and wire harnesses and a board for the resistors.

I'm a bit flummoxed how to do these things in paper. Tips, tricks, tutorials?

Ideally I need a way to change batteries, turn on switches, etc, etc. What do you guys do to build access that doesn't detract from the model?

I have some ideas, but I know other people have invented this wheel already.

Thanks!
Google Adsense
Old 04-20-2010, 07:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
I believe the answers to your questions depend on what you are building, at what scale, and whether a stand or mount is included. In other words the same questions you would ask if working with wood. Paper is quite strong when laminated - think plywood. Wherever you can or have to build up the model should be your mounting points.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:50 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
one nice thing about paper is you can build in your own hatches for batteries and switches (if its a big enough model) so that it can be all internal - there is no reason for it to be screwed down or have an external switch unless you plan on playing with it
Chris
Old 04-20-2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgutzmer View Post
one nice thing about paper is you can build in your own hatches for batteries and switches (if its a big enough model) so that it can be all internal - there is no reason for it to be screwed down or have an external switch unless you plan on playing with it
Chris
That's what I'm having trouble visualizing. Much of it is going to depend on what components I can get that are smaller than the typical AA battery pack with leads and a switch.

Another that concerns me is how to get light into places such as corners and keep it there.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:42 AM

using LEDs you can use hearing-aid batteries for power and strands of wire from inside an extension cord for wiring (careful here, you may have to multi-strand to keep from melting the wire). Being careful with your harness they won't require any insulation. I would need to see the specific model and know what you want to do to help further
Old 04-20-2010, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
Another that concerns me is how to get light into places such as corners and keep it there.
One LED, a manifold (maybe fashioned from clay or silicone) and careful use of fiber optics will get light into all manner of tight spaces as long as you don't kink the fiber. Push it through a hole for pinpoint light, or affix it behind some velum or light card for a diffused look.

Check out mouser.com for 10's of thousands of LED, battery mounting, and switching options.

<edit>Oh, and your manifold and single LED would support many fiber leads, so you could mount the battery, switch and LED on a single board and make it very self contained...that's where I was going with that idea :-) </edit>
Old 04-20-2010, 09:29 AM
cModerator

Total Downloaded: 37.66 MB
Send a message via AIM to cMags
You can use a 9v battery and power 2 or 3 LEDs in series, or even more in parallel. Use a calculator such as this one to calculate your voltages, current, and limiting resistor values: LED Resistor Calculator

For components, I usually purchase from Futurlec, The Electronic Components and Semiconductor Superstore. The shipping is a little on the slow side (~3 weeks) but the shipping prices are excellent and you don't have to order large numbers of components. This is the only place I know where you could buy a single LED or resistor if you wanted to, where as other companies such as Mouser are looking to sell small components by the 100- or 1000-pack minimum. And, they have a very complete catalog - you could get your battery pack connections, wire, solder, switches, LEDs and resistors all in one order.
Put on hold build (someday I'll finish): F-35A Lightning II 1:72
Previous builds: cMags' Card Model Builds
Old 04-20-2010, 10:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 20.98 MB
scarmig, there is a model of Tintin's rocket where there is an option to have LED's built into it
there you have some good tips on how to incorporate LED's into a model
Old 04-20-2010, 10:38 AM

Good sites... and better selection and prices than the Radio Shack

I'm working on a paper Star Destroyer and was thinking of adding some the lights in the windows at each level.

What I'm considering is making the entire rear engine panel hinged, and building a slot for a battery pack. I like the idea of a manifold for fiber optics, though I'm not sure yet how I would run them through the model. I'm thinking the layered structure of the model may be conducive to layering the lighting system as well. Battery pack to LED array to fiber optic manifold.

This is what I needed to get the ideas going.... thanks guys!
Old 04-20-2010, 01:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Hi Scarmig,

Easy to do mounts. Just do several laminations and then screw to it as normal.

Here is a photo of a motor mount on my wind turbine model. Notice how thick it is and that it uses the regular screws supplied with the motor. 9-layers of 90# index. Another option to mount the lights to this type of mount is you can super glue them onto it.

Once the light is mounted it is real simple to make a glue tab to mount the mount to the model.

Look forward to seeing some photos of your project!!!

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
LED lighting in paper models - How To?-wt-mount.jpg  
Google Adsense

Tags
battery, led, lighting