PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Tutorials

Old 06-03-2010, 06:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.26 MB
Tutorial Request - How To Use a Burnisher

Hi team.
I have had a little play with a burnisher to some success on the outside of a skin flattening the edges. Wondered if there were any tutorials on using a burnisher, in particular, using it to push the skin out from the inside to round it off.

Indeed if anyone has any hints and tips that would be a great start. I know that Yogi mentioned making sure you have something to press against but other than that I am a little lost. Maybe I am over analyzing this and it is more of a practice makes perfect skill rather than a here is 20 steps to burnishing skill.

Thanks for reading and sorry if this is in the wrong thread.

Cheers
Jim
Google Adsense
Old 06-03-2010, 08:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 164.38 MB
I'll second the request for this.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Wrong thread my eye!

I too would like to see such a tut! That's a skill that differentiates between artists and builders!
Old 06-04-2010, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spgifford View Post
I'll second the request for this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer525 View Post
Wrong thread my eye!

I too would like to see such a tut! That's a skill that differentiates between artists and builders!
Thanks guys. I was not sure if this should be in the First Cuts forum or this one. I hope that someone can throw some hints and tips our way.

Cheers

Jim
Old 06-04-2010, 06:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Jim, I did a little bit of what I think you're asking about starting with this post:

http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/aviation/4604-orlik-pbj-1h-mitchell-5.html#post66755

Don't know if that's helpful or not.

Mike
Old 06-04-2010, 10:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Hi Jim,

Don't know if I understand what you are trying to do.

Big Models have lots of folding and to crease/score the fold line I found an ideal embosser. It is called the Empressor and has 4-different sized tips.
One end is spring loaded, it is a nice, comfortable tool to use.

When I found it, there was a product called "Paper Glide". It claims to have uses for "Dry Embossing, Punching, Cutting, Folding" Paper products.

It mentions on the bottle,"Forget Wax Paper". So, after checking what this meant, looks like there is a way to rub, or maybe just trace over the wax paper to get a smooth glide with the embosser.

The paper Glide works great, except as the bottle gets older the spray isn't a fine mist anymore, and it leaves "puddles" that can stain the ink.

It does make a major difference on how easy the tip glides insteads of digs into the cardstock.

The empressor is sold at Target Stores, is comfortable and is the best I've used so far!

Mike
Old 06-04-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer View Post
Hi Jim,

Don't know if I understand what you are trying to do.
....Mike
Thanks Mike. I sometimes wonder myself mate. :D. I just heard about using a burninshing tool to smooth edges a couple of weeks ago. OK, no worries there. I have that concept, if not the technique but understand what is required. But I also read that some people also use a burnishing tool to push the skin, of an aircraft for example, out from the inside to make it a more rounded and smooth shape. Sort of stretching the skin with the tool. I was looking for some pointers on how to do that. Do we do it on a dry model or still wet with glue - as we're trying to stretch it. I hope that makes sense. Anyhoo will read this further later. Bomarc I will also check out your link later also. Just doing a little catch up while eating lunch at my desk.

Cheers
Jim
Old 06-04-2010, 11:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 58.50 MB
I imagine being relatively new and being obliged to type over 9 messages a day would limit ones ability to become familiar with both the facilities of and earlier discussions on any forum. Might I perhaps suggest entering words like "burnishing", "burnishers" or such like into the search function in order to save on your total typing effort.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 113.50 MB
Theres a search function??
Old 06-04-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by looker View Post
I imagine being relatively new and being obliged to type over 9 messages a day would limit ones ability to become familiar with both the facilities of and earlier discussions on any forum. Might I perhaps suggest entering words like "burnishing", "burnishers" or such like into the search function in order to save on your total typing effort.
Not sure what the amount of messages I type has anything to do with my question. Not sure why you feel the need to comment on "being obliged to type over 9 messages a day" Pardon me for being over enthusiastic and enjoying the forum.
Google Adsense