Rating: +1
Favourites: 1

Report File

1/600 USS Houston CA30

File Information

Files

• USS Houston.zip 6.36 MB

More From This User

This my 1/600 scale model of the USS Houston CA30, the "Galloping Ghost of the Java Coast". Color scheme is the dark gray overall in which she was sunk at the Battle of Sunda Strait in February, 1942.

After buying the book "Ship of Ghosts" by James D. Hornfischer recommended by Don Boose, I was able to confirm the light AA armament as 4 x quad 1.1" guns in place of the original 3" L50 guns, and the use of SOC Seagull spotter aircraft. I left the 3" guns and the Kingfisher spotter in the kit for those who might want them as well.

One of the guys in our virtual gatherings had mused that the spotter aircraft might have been landed prior to the surface battles. According to the book, the 5" AA battery started firing up before the aircraft already on the catapults could be launched, and the blast overpressure stripped the fabric skin off the aircraft, leaving them looking like plucked chickens.

When I find the energy, I will recolor the Houston in her pre-war livery of pale gray.

Wayne
Report File
Reason

Report Comment
Reason

Report Link
Reason