PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Vintage Models

Old 01-17-2012, 07:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I'll have to try Neocolor crayons sometime. I haven't seen them. Early on I bought a set of watercolor markers, but found they tended to bleed into the paper a bit much. Instead, I now use a set of gauche pan type watercolor paints. I use a fine brush that isn't very wet. One advantage is I can mix colors if nothing's close enough. Still, once in awhile I overwet my brush get some unwanted bleeding.

Fantastic models, BTW. I'm saving files by the bunches. I love vintage models.

Wade
Old 01-17-2012, 10:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 210.47 MB
Don,

That has to be one of the best Desk Ornaments I have ever seen.

Jim
Old 01-18-2012, 01:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
Great job on the model, Don, but an even larger kudo for getting the word out! If anyone wants the models, PM me.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Toy Tank Number 1

Thanks Wade, Jim, and Major D.
I am thinking good thoughts for your son, Jim.

These images show the construction of the first of the Italian toy tanks sent to me by Chris Walas. Image 1 is the model. Image 2 is all the instructions that you get.

Image 3 shows me scoring the track treads.

Image 4: For some reason, the model comes with an extra hull deck, which I used to do a little appliqué of hatches and as raw maerial for a gun barrel.

Image 5: And I cut out the driver’s hatch cover.

Image 6: With these hand-drawn “simple” models, you have to be careful to measure against the actual parts. The fold lines on the model do not always align with the structure of the vehicle. Here I have cut away the tab and am scoring along the actual bend location to make the hull deck conform to the hull sides.

Images 7 and 8 show the tank and turret coming together. The gun barrel was provided only in silhouette, so I rolled one from an extra piece of paper.

More later,

Don

PS: John O – I got home from the office late last night and didn’t have a chance to take pictures of my Neocolor II shaving pallet and the technique of using the side of the crayon as a gouache pan, but hope to do so tonight.
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Toy Military Models - Decoupages-toytank01_01.jpg   Vintage Toy Military Models - Decoupages-toytank01_02.jpg   Vintage Toy Military Models - Decoupages-toytank01_03.jpg   Vintage Toy Military Models - Decoupages-toytank01_04.jpg   Vintage Toy Military Models - Decoupages-toytank01_05.jpg  

Vintage Toy Military Models - Decoupages-toytank01_06.jpg   Vintage Toy Military Models - Decoupages-toytank01_07-2-.jpg   Vintage Toy Military Models - Decoupages-toytank01_08.jpg  
Old 01-18-2012, 08:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 314.41 MB
I cant seem to get the zeppelin one to come up for me....the page locks up? The rest look great and very unique!
Google Adsense
Old 01-18-2012, 10:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.17 MB
Oh der Tank sieht sehr gut aus. Eine schöne Arbeit!
Könnten Sie mir bitte den Link zu dem Panzer geben?

Vielen Dank und beste grüße Gerald
Old 01-18-2012, 10:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
That is a cute little model Don, and the vintage models are cool. I have a old sailing model from Maly that may do sometime, would copy it, though, hate to cut up such a precious thing. The old Rigby planes were cool, and some were pretty good little gliders (why would I know that...)
Old 01-18-2012, 11:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Mike - I am not sure what the problem is. Maybe some transient glitch in your computer.

Glen - Always good to hear from you. There are lots of links to the old models at the thread I noted in the first post and Major D has indicated that he is quite receptive to receiving PMs for copies of the ones he has cleaned up.

Gerald - Vielen Dank für die Komplimente. Ich werde versuchen, den Link zu dem Panzer zu finden. Vergib mir meine schreckliche Deutsch. Ich habe es nicht für mehr als 50 Jahre studiert.

Don
Old 01-18-2012, 02:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Not much to say except I like the dioramas...can't seem to find the "like" button, it appears to be missing! =O

Old 01-19-2012, 08:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 7.59 MB
Don,
Liking the tank.I find it so informative to follow the links and see the different build techniques everyone uses. Do you really scribe with knife blade? or was that just to point out. I have been trying different methods of scribing but have not found best one from various pointed things, to kitchen knife Treadhead showed me, to rear of Revell #11 blade dulled a little. That seems best but it does crack paper, especially when doubled.
I can also understand now why you have no problem with German kits :-)
John O
Google Adsense