PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Vintage Models

Old 02-02-2012, 10:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
These are all valid and thoughtful points, Rubén Andrés. I appreciate your having given some creative and critical thinking to the subject.

It would be wonderful to have input from the owners of the pillpat and Toto sites, and others who have been collecting vintage decoupages, just as some of the major paper model firms (WAK, for example), and designers (Rosie Louise and Terry Moyle of Contour Creative, for example) interact with us in the Forum.

Pat_Craft may have contact with pillpat and it would be worth one of us trying to contact Toto's owners to let them know about the interest in their models.

Billy, who is one of the Administrators of the Forum is tracking this closely, and I have asked Jason and Rick to note this development and consider the establishment of a vintage thread category and download site. They will certainly take into consideration the legal and ethical aspects of what we propose and I am sure that they will be glad to have the benefit of your thoughts.

Don
Old 02-02-2012, 06:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 290.48 MB
"Vintage Paper Models" : Definition.

I Apologise that the expression of my thought in my previous post was not as clear as I had intended.

Certainly, those whose blogs have preserved the vintage originals are now, to most intents and purposes, "custodians" of those vintage originals.

My thought had been to nominate those who had performed restorations of vintage model sheets as "custodians" of those restorations within the Vintage Models sub-forum here on this forum, if one evolved. Rickstef has just announced the creation of a Vintage Models sub-forum, and clearly he and the other Forum Admins here are formulating the appropriate guidelines for the Vintage Models sub-forum.

Ruben Andres makes very good points, and his thoughts are logical and consistent.
Certainly inviting the blog owners who are preserving the vintage originals here to join our discussion is both a wise and prudent thing. I would hope they would perceive the restoration folk here as being contributory in a complimentary fashion to the blogs owners' ongoing efforts in preserving vintage originals.

Which brings us to attempting a reasonable definition of a "Vintage Model".
If one is dealing with a vehicle, for example, the term "Vintage" applies to a vehicle built between approximately 1920 and 1934. A vehicle built before 1920 is classed as being "Veteran". A vehicle built in 1940 would be classed as "Post-Vintage" and a vehicle built after 1950 would be classed as "Classic".
From the foregoing it is apparent that we can do-away with the "Veteran", "Post-Vintage", and "Classic" classes as regards to paper models.

Which would leave us with the term/classification of "Vintage Paper Model" applying to any paper model printed between the years of 1900 to 1960, and for which the copyright has either lapsed, has no known ownership, has defunct ownership, or is no-longer legally enforced.

Thus, Definition:

"Vintage Paper Model: any paper model printed between the years of 1900 through to 1960, and for which the copyright has either lapsed, has no known ownership, has defunct ownership, or is no-longer legally enforced."

The above is my personal proposal of a definition of a "Vintage Paper Model".

I hope it serves as a reasonable example for others more legally knowledgeable than myself to expand upon. And I hope those who have done restorations will consider my proposed definition above and expand upon it if they feel it necessary to do so.

I also hope my thoughts on this topic have been of help to those considering it.

Kind and Respectful Regards my friends, Uyraell.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
Only one minor change, Uryaell, to an otherwise excellent definition of a vintage model; 1900 (or prior). Editions Pellegrin (Epinal) started printing card toys prior to 1900.

I like the use of the term "custodians." It really strengthens the idea that we care about the history and medium enough to help with its preservation for future modelers.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:17 PM

Thank you Maj. Charles for the amendment.

I rewrite the proposed definition herewith.

Definition:

"Vintage Paper Model: any paper model printed between the years of 1900 (or prior) through to 1960, and for which the copyright has either lapsed, has no known ownership, has defunct ownership, or is no-longer legally enforced."

I hope the above amendment for the present provides a reasonable basis to work from, as regards a Definition of a Vintage Paper Model. I welcome further amendments if such are found necessary.

I am also heartened that you find the term "custodians" to be apposite and appropriate, for it was with reflections about care and preservation of the vintage originals and restorations thereof that the term "custodians" came to my mind.

Kind and Respectful Regards Maj. Charles, Uyraell.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I agree with this. Thank you, Uyraell, for writing a clear and precise definition.

Don
Google Adsense
Old 02-02-2012, 09:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uyraell View Post
Definition:

"Vintage Paper Model: any paper model printed between the years of 1900 (or prior) through to 1960, and for which the copyright has either lapsed, has no known ownership, has defunct ownership, or is no-longer legally enforced."
The 1900 really serves no purpose in this. Tatebanko pieces can pre-date even the Pellerin pieces.

Maybe ...

"Vintage Paper Model: any paper model printed prior to 1960, and for which the copyright has either lapsed, has no known ownership, has defunct ownership, or is no-longer legally enforced."

I also like the idea of having custodian/moderators for this forum.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:24 PM

V_K my friend, I see your point clearly.
The only reason I included the "1900" reference was that I had not bethought the status of Tatebankae. In as much as, although paper construction, I was considering them to be a different artform.

However: in light of the fact that Tatebankae are in fact of even more antique status than the vintage models I was considering, I accept the amendment you propose.

Definition:
"Vintage Paper Model: any paper model printed prior to 1960, and for which the copyright has either lapsed, has no known ownership, has defunct ownership, or is no-longer legally enforced."

The above definition is herewith proposed, subject to further amendment as may from time to time be necessary.

Don B my friend, Thank you for your kindness in supporting my proposal.
It is only through amicable discussions with the membership here that I took the decision to attempt a definition.
V_K, Thank you for bringing a clearer view of the matter to table than I had originally had.

Kind and Respectful Regards my friends, Uyraell.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:51 AM

In the spirit of the Rules of Order, I nominate Urayell's latest definition, duly modified, as the one to submit for consideration to the Forum monitors.

Well, done!
Old 02-03-2012, 03:52 AM

Hah! I just realized that Urayell hails from Middle Earth!
Old 02-03-2012, 04:09 AM

My warm Thanks to you Maj. Charles, for your kind support and nomination.

And yes, I hail from "Middle Earth", and made one of the largest errors of my lifetime when I turned-down work on the trilogy. I shall long regret doing so.

Kind and Respectful Regards Maj. Charles my friend, Uyraell.
Google Adsense