PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Vintage Models

Old 03-29-2013, 03:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.63 GB
Japanese Street Fighters Tatebanko

A tatebanko (paper model diorama) commemorating an early 19th century street battle between fire-fighters and sumo wrestlers has been posted in the downloads section.
This is a copy of an antique print over a century old which I found on the internet and tweaked a bit.
Google Adsense
Old 03-29-2013, 04:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 40.66 MB
Many thanks for this tatebanko, even if it is a bit too small.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat_craft View Post
Many thanks for this tatebanko, even if it is a bit too small.
Pat:
I too wish that the image resolution was better, but some of the Japanese sites that have tatebanko images are stingy about their files size. Images of tatebanko tend to be low resolution.
Surfing Japanese web sites is a very interesting process and should NEVER NEVER EVER be done at work, since a lot of innocent appearing web sites will have a link that dumps you directly into a pron or compensated dating web page, and even "serious" web pages, including some corporate web pages contain images that would be considered NSFW on this side of the Pacific Ocean. Maybe they would be OK in France.
And trying to make sense of Googlish Japaglish is a mind bending experience, your co workers would wonder about the strange howls coming out of your cubicle.
I have been able to tweak the appearance of some low res images using a photo de-blurring program, and by using some of the features of Gimp or Paint.net, then Irfanview to make the file size manageable , and then Inkscape to convert the image into vector format.
I found a couple of web sites that show several examples of the same print, both different editions, and also several different examples of the same edition of a print. There is a lot of variation, most apparently due to aging, and yellowing of the paper and fading of the dyes used to make the print. The original colors tended to be very bright, with lots of interesting contrasts. Over the years they have faded a lot, especially those that were on continuous display and were exposed to a lot of light.
The print artists and publishers did not have making a lasting product in mind, they would probably be surprised to know that people have large collections of them. When prints were popular objects, there were treated more like a newspaper or magazine. They were cheap, you bought one you liked , enjoyed it and then tossed it and bought a new one by the latest trendy artist.
But you already knew all of this.
Anyway, I invite anyone who stumbles across a download-able tatebanko, paper theatre, or vinage public domain paper model to share it here. These vintage models show the amazing accomplishments that could be achieved with just a block of wood, or a smooth stone, that had some dyes smeared on them, and then were pressed on a sheet of paper.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:27 AM

I added a new one (2456x1619, 2 sheets)

PaperModelers.com - Downloads - Chunshingura tatebanko
Old 05-15-2013, 09:24 AM

Just add another nice tatebanko...

PaperModelers.com - Downloads - Sakura farewell
Google Adsense
Old 06-20-2013, 10:50 AM

Merci beaucoup.
Thank you for rescuing two more tatebanko.
The Chusingura tatebanko is especially appreciated.
There must be many tatebanko versions of the last act of Chusingura, the invasion of Lord Kira's home by the 47 Ronin, but I have not been able to locate an un-assembled one.
I am jealous of Tony Cole who had one and put it together for display at Tokyo art gallery.
I am still hoping one eventually will turn up.