PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Vintage Models

Old 11-05-2020, 12:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I am happy to add Phillumeny to Lucifer, Euperion (High Perry), Vesuvian, Promethean, Flamer, wax Vesta, and Locofoco (the matches and self-lighting cigars, not the 1830 political faction) in my Phillumenistic vocabulary.

Many thanks.

Don
Old 11-05-2020, 01:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 553.70 MB
Hi All,

And hi, Tektonten and Don. After some measuring, I came up with two dimensions for the base of one of the models in question, the Indisk Pagode, or Indian Pagoda.

When the width of the page is measured as it's presented in an above link, the base of the completed model would be 2 7/64" X 1 19/64", or effectively 2 1/8" X 5/16"

However, the left margin of the page has been cleanly cut, reducing its size. By centering the frame drawn around the model between two margins of equal size and remeasuring, the size of the model's base is now 2 1/64" X 1 15/64", or effectively 2" X 1 1/4". That's pretty close to the 2" X 1 3/8" size of a modern American matchbox.

I was wrong when I first started reading this thread, as I though the models must surely be built to sit on a larger box of strike-anywhere kitchen matches. But no, they're meant to use an old Swedish match box as their plinth.

Building a proper Scandinavian matchbox for the models shouldn't pose a problem, as there are hundreds of vintage matchbox cover available on the internet. Check out Patricia M's Agence Eureka and flickr sites, or a Google search for many colorful varieties. Look for the Made In Sweden mark to ensure quality.

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Old 11-05-2020, 03:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 59.27 MB
Thanks for the info TD!

If anyone is interested, there is a customizable matchbox template creator located here: https://www.templatemaker.nl/ru/matchbox/
After inputting the desired dimensions, a blank template may be exported as an image file which can then be photoshopped to have an authentic vintage cover.
Old 11-06-2020, 03:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 35.81 MB
Quote:
As a side note, when we acquire scans of vintage models through friends or over the internet, there's often the question of the intended size of a completed model. Without the original page, the size and scale of the model is at best, a guess.

The models in Tom's post were designed to use a vintage, Scandinavian matchbox as their base. That's all well and good, but how big were the matchboxes? The modern American boxes I use to light my old propane torch measure 2" long by 1 3/8" wide. This looks to be the same size as the vintage matchboxes, but can anyone say for sure?
It's true that we can't always be confident in the size of the scans we find on the internet. But in this case as some of the scans I started with were full pages I believe the size I provided will be the same as the original when printed at 100%. As a guide, the drawn box around the matchbox models should be 8 3/4" wide when printed.

As for the matchboxes themselves, the Swedish boxes seem to be mostly 56x36mm. There are many vintage ones for sale on ebay and who wouldn't want a box of Impregnated Goblins? https://www.ebay.com/itm/9-MATCHBOX-...8AAOSwkydfjYfb
Old 11-06-2020, 05:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Okay, now that is just weird. Is that the best they could come up with for an advertising campaign?
Google Adsense
Old 11-06-2020, 05:46 PM

Here is more information of interest. The translation of the matchbox series instructions reads:

"Glue the pieces onto writing paper (not cardboard!), cut them out and collect them. Use a matchbox, which is already covered with gray paper, for the floor plan and stick the label on the front - see the model."

Seems the plinth for the models was intended to be solid gray and not with colorful matchbox graphics showing. I assume the "gray paper" is a wrapper that came on a new box of matches? Or could it be that certain matches came in plain gray boxes?
Old 11-07-2020, 12:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tektonten View Post
Here is more information of interest. The translation of the matchbox series instructions reads:

"Glue the pieces onto writing paper (not cardboard!), cut them out and collect them. Use a matchbox, which is already covered with gray paper, for the floor plan and stick the label on the front - see the model."

Seems the plinth for the models was intended to be solid gray and not with colorful matchbox graphics showing. I assume the "gray paper" is a wrapper that came on a new box of matches? Or could it be that certain matches came in plain gray boxes?

Happy Anniversary, sir
Old 11-07-2020, 02:09 PM

Thank you!
Old 01-01-2021, 10:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 214.95 MB
I just stumbled upon two models in this series at the Swedish Wikipedia. I do not know if they are an improvement over previously known versions. There might also be some useful information in the article if it is translated from Swedish.

Klippark – Wikipedia

Tags
illustreret, vintage