PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Vintage Models

Old 03-03-2021, 08:20 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Vintage SCW duo

Here are a couple of vintage models of military machines from the Spanish Civil War. The armored car is representative of the homemade armored vehicles used by both sides in the conflict. The yellow and red flag identifies this one as being used by the Nationalists. The original model was very blue, so I toned the coloring down a bit. The only other modification was to replace the 2D open hood vent and vision port with 3D versions. I also layered a few parts for a better look. I considered adding affiliations or slogans like "Viva Franco" but decided to maintain the vintage look and left it bare.

The Polkarpov I-15 Chato (snubnose in English) was originally all grey with Nationalist markings. Besides being kind of boring, I decided to recolor it as a Republican aircraft so both sides in the conflict would be represented. This is the plane piloted by Capt. Ivan Yeremenko, the commander of the 1st Squadron of Chatos. This vintage kit is meant to be built with a flat upper wing, but I decided to represent the I-15s distinctive gull wing. Doing this shortened the wingspan a bit, but this model is in no way accurate anyway, so I didn't see this as a problem. The publisher misinterpreted the gun sight as a machine gun, but I left it as is.

The quick photos were taken in my new (to me) home. The late day sun caused a bit of glare. I'll do better next time.
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage SCW duo-vintage_duo.jpg   Vintage SCW duo-vintageaca.jpg   Vintage SCW duo-vintageacb.jpg   Vintage SCW duo-vintageacc.jpg   Vintage SCW duo-vintageacd.jpg  

Vintage SCW duo-vintageace.jpg   Vintage SCW duo-chataa.jpg   Vintage SCW duo-chatab.jpg   Vintage SCW duo-chatac.jpg   Vintage SCW duo-chatad.jpg  

Vintage SCW duo-chatae.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 03-03-2021, 08:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Very nice work on both!

Don too
Old 03-03-2021, 10:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 317.47 MB
I agree with DB, very nice work on both!
Those vintage models may not be accurate representations of the real machines but for sure there's something captivating about them.
Old 03-03-2021, 03:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.03 MB
Beautiful...
Old 03-04-2021, 12:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 553.70 MB
Hi All,

And hi, rockpaperscissor. Nice, clean builds on both models. Toning down the blue on the armored car makes for a more convincing model, and the colorful repaint on the sesquiplane really outshines the original, bland scheme. Simple but effective gull wing technique, too. Well done.

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Google Adsense
Old 03-04-2021, 01:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
Crisp and clean as always!
Well done sir.
Old 03-04-2021, 02:05 PM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Thanks for your kind comments, fellas. I've had very little time for paper modeling for about a year now. It took me almost 6 months to finish these simple little models. Hopefully things will be more calm this year.
Old 03-07-2021, 05:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 331.88 MB
Extraordinary work as always Don, I love the cleanliness you achieve. The Spanish civil war had many interesting themes.