PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Vintage Models

Old 04-11-2022, 01:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 553.70 MB
Old, Old Micromodels

Hi All,

My friend Ron visits England every other year, and he’ll often bring me an interesting something from his trip. About four years ago, he handed me a box. Full of Micromodels. Old Micromodels. Really old Micromodels.

I was happy to get them, as I only had a couple of examples at the time. He was a bit apologetic for their condition, but I told him I was happy that they had survived at all. He found them in a boot sale, somewhere, and knew nothing about them. So, what follows is conjecture on my part.

I believe they were built by a boy between 10 and 12 years old. And while he made some errors in cutting and alignment, I certainly can’t fault his enthusiasm. There are about thirty models in this collection, and there may have been more. He used balsa as stiffeners for the floors and footplates of the cars and locomotives. But he didn’t reinforce the trucks, and many of the wheels have collapsed over the years. Judging by the fading seen on some of the models, he kept them on a windowsill for quite some time. Eventually his early railroading days were over, and the models were boxed up and sent to the attic.

I don’t know when they were built, but I think it was postwar. Also, I haven’t tracked down exactly which models they are. I recognize the steam shovel and the work train is interesting, but the rest?

Thanks Tapcho for inspiring me to finally photograph and share these old paper model survivors. And now, it’s back in the box for someone else to discover.

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Attached Thumbnails
Old, Old Micromodels-aa-mm-2.jpg   Old, Old Micromodels-aa-mm-4.jpg   Old, Old Micromodels-aa-mm-5.jpg   Old, Old Micromodels-aa-mm-6.jpg   Old, Old Micromodels-aa-mm-7.jpg  

Old, Old Micromodels-aa-mm-8.jpg   Old, Old Micromodels-aa-mm-10.jpg   Old, Old Micromodels-aa-mm-9.jpg   Old, Old Micromodels-aa-mm-3.jpg   Old, Old Micromodels-aa-mm-1.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 04-11-2022, 02:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I reckon those are pretty nice models. I would have been pleased if my models turned out as well. They make a pleasing collection, and I am very happy you shared them with us.

Don
Old 04-11-2022, 07:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
I wonder where the builder’s imagination and interest in the world took him in life?

Thanks for sharing these bits of a modeling life from years ago. And I agree with Don- the builder was good.

Wyvern
Old 04-11-2022, 11:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
Charming collection! I can sence both the challenge and a kind of solace building these must have offered to the builder. I just finnished of these model, the 'Duchess' class L.M.S. locomotive 6251 (third picture). These are not easy builds and as you stated these need reinforcement added here and there. I like the work train too. It has 'personality' of it's own compared to the rest of the gang. Thanks for sharing your collection.

Tappi
Old 04-12-2022, 03:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 164.37 MB
original MM's

I still have small number of originals - see my website, page Miscwellaneous, > Micromodels.
Google Adsense
Old 04-12-2022, 05:25 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Thanks for sharing. it's nice to see the history of our hobby on display.
Old 04-12-2022, 05:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.06 GB
Saddle Tank

Excellent collection they have lasted well. I have a couple of them and recognise most of the rest. I tackled the saddle tank many (50+ ?) years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Old, Old Micromodels-p1060991.jpg  
Old 04-12-2022, 05:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 553.70 MB
Hi All,

And thanks to everybody for your interest in my Micromodel's miscellany. And thanks again for the collection, Ron.

In the last few days, there has been a flurry of Micromodel threads, and in Tim Crowe’s excellent, New Micromodels, Philip wrote, “These are great! Come on, let's have some more.”

As one who occasionally gives into reasonable peer pressure, here you go, Philip. I built these locomotives nearly thirty years ago and with a little care, (and a dehumidifier in the basement), they demonstrate that paper models can last for decades. The blue locomotive is a Princess Coronation Class of the L.M.S. Railway, while the green loco is a West Country Class of the Southern Railway. The yellow is of course Stephenson’s Rocket…a model so nice, they issued it twice, (with different passenger carriages).

I believe the scale of Micromodel’s locomotives and rolling stock is a constant 1/200. I even found a source that identifies them as OOO scale.

It’s been fun to be a part of this discussion.

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Attached Thumbnails
Old, Old Micromodels-aa-mm-11.jpg   Old, Old Micromodels-aa-mm-12.jpg   Old, Old Micromodels-aa-mm-13.jpg   Old, Old Micromodels-aa-mm-14.jpg  
Old 04-12-2022, 10:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 198.27 MB
The castle like building looks like Cripple Gate.
Attached Thumbnails
Old, Old Micromodels-00_1_b.jpg  
Old 04-13-2022, 02:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.03 MB
A wonderful collection. Happy days!
Google Adsense