PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Vintage Models

Old 01-26-2023, 06:41 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Good show. The parade of unusual and artistic models is fascinating.
My favorite (so far): "La Forge".
Mike
Old 01-27-2023, 05:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 35.81 MB
Quote:
I use my brain almost every day. Problems arise, decisions are made, actions are taken and occasionally, I think about how to apologize for those actions. Life goes on.
Eric: as usual your descriptions are delightful and beyond informative. I hope to add a few models to the thread in the coming weeks, but I thought for now I would post this very odd model I just acquired. It's in the tradition of the French advertising camions (trucks). But in this case it's a house in the form a truck hawking the "Indicateur Bertrand" or, my best guess, The Bertrand Informer, "the most important newspaper of real estate advertisements."

I was going to speculate on it's unlikely existence, but a quick Google search showed that, in fact, the truck was for real... voila!
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Model Retrospective-camion-indicateur-bertrand.jpg   Vintage Model Retrospective-camion-bertrand-photo.jpg  
Old 01-27-2023, 09:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
It is indeed a strange looking advertising vehicle. In the course of looking for more info, I came across another (presumably French) advertising vehicle involving a giant bottle of Orangina.

Don
Old 01-28-2023, 07:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 553.70 MB
Hi All,

Many thanks to those who have followed and commented on this vintage model thread.

Tom, your “House on Wheels” is new to me and looks like it’s worth a build. And we’re looking forward to seeing more of your collection on these pages, built or unbuilt.

Speaking of advertising models, I’m including a built-up pair from Tom’s collection. First up is the custom Persil soap truck and trailer. No publisher or date is listed on the model, but it is assumed to be printed by the Henkel Corporation of Germany, the makers of Persil and many other products.

Also seen is a French delivery truck, Au Bon Marche, or, The Good Market. I believe the model comes from the drawing board of Louis Chambrelent of Paris, but no publisher is listed.

Paper advertising models used to be popular in Europe, especially France, and Tom Greensfelder has quite a collection. They are sometimes quirky and odd, but always colorful and interesting.

All for now,

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Model Retrospective-truck-1.jpg   Vintage Model Retrospective-truck-2.jpg   Vintage Model Retrospective-truck-3.jpg   Vintage Model Retrospective-truck-4.jpg   Vintage Model Retrospective-truck-5.jpg  

Vintage Model Retrospective-truck-6.jpg   Vintage Model Retrospective-truck-7.jpg   Vintage Model Retrospective-truck-8.jpg   Vintage Model Retrospective-truck-9.jpg   Vintage Model Retrospective-truck-10.jpg  

Old 01-28-2023, 08:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 969.48 MB
Thumb Dog and Tom,
Thank you, so very much, for sharing these models (especially the Au Bon Marche truck). This one brings back some great memories. My first duty station, as a brand new 2nd Lt in the USAF, was at Fairchild AFB, just outside of Spokane, WA. The upscale department store in that city was THE BON MARCHE. I walked in to their credit office, showed them my brand new military ID, told them I had a take home pay of $222.40 a month and proudly walked out, 15 minutes later, with my first credit account. Then I walked into their model shop and purchased an all brass, HO scale, Akani, Mikado steam locomotive for the price of $29.95 on credit.
John
Google Adsense
Old 01-29-2023, 03:00 PM

Hi All,

And hi, missileer. Isn’t it funny the thing that can conjure a memory? Thanks for the story from your days in the Air Force.

Here are a couple more photographs of the advertising trucks in question. I don’t know the exact dates of the real Au Bon Marché truck or the paper model, but they both bear the same squiggle paint job on their sides. The Persil truck and trailer are seen on a brick-paved road. After a rather involved search, I finally discovered the truck and trailer made their debut in 1950.

By the way, any tale that ends with the purchase of a brass model locomotive is a good story.

Thanks,

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Model Retrospective-truck-11-2-.jpg   Vintage Model Retrospective-truck-12.jpg  
Old 01-30-2023, 05:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 46.91 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumb Dog View Post
Hi All,

Many thanks to those who have followed and commented on this vintage model thread.

Tom, your “House on Wheels” is new to me and looks like it’s worth a build. And we’re looking forward to seeing more of your collection on these pages, built or unbuilt.

Speaking of advertising models, I’m including a built-up pair from Tom’s collection. First up is the custom Persil soap truck and trailer. No publisher or date is listed on the model, but it is assumed to be printed by the Henkel Corporation of Germany, the makers of Persil and many other products.

Also seen is a French delivery truck, Au Bon Marche, or, The Good Market. I believe the model comes from the drawing board of Louis Chambrelent of Paris, but no publisher is listed.

Paper advertising models used to be popular in Europe, especially France, and Tom Greensfelder has quite a collection. They are sometimes quirky and odd, but always colorful and interesting.

All for now,

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Juste a note : the Chambrelent house, founded in 1873 in Paris, which exclusively produced paper advertising objects: images, chromos, cardboard, blotters, notebook covers, and above all fans. Chambrelent quickly opened branches in major cities in France and abroad, but disappeared after the Second World War.
Old 01-30-2023, 09:29 AM

Hi All,

And hi, DougH and Paskal and thank you both for your information concerning the two advertising trucks discussed above. Like myself, I find most modelers are just as interested in the history of the things we model as the models themselves. To that end, I’ll pass along some comments and ideas about the trucks in question.
DougH sent me a PM detailing his research into the Persil truck and trailer combo. With his permission, the following is his PM:

I have enjoyed your Vintage Model Retrospective thread and found it very interesting. The Persil advertising vehicle raised a few questions. You say Persil is made and advertised by Henkel which in general is correct except for a few countries where it is marketed by Unilever. Apparently Unilever gained the rights in 1931. Unilever have a strong presence in both the Netherlands and the UK. The truck looked like one manufactured by Guy Motors in the UK and the one in the photo is right hand drive. The registration plate also looks British. A little further hunting found another Guy vehicle also being used by Persil for advertising. (see attached photo) Also the sign writing looks like Dutch rather than German.

Today UK registrations can't have an I, Q or Z where by it's position they can be mistaken for a numeric 1, 0 or 2 i. e. at the end of an alphabetic string but I don't know when that came in. So GX is OK GZ is questionable.

That was as far as I got from a quick search.

All the best Doug

Thanks Doug. As I mentioned, I had difficulty in finding information about the Persil truck, and your research helped to fill in the gaps.

Pascal, your notes concerning the House of Chambrelent were enlightening. I had seen the name on a number of paper models, but did not understand the scope of their involvement in paper product production. I’m sure Tom Greensfelder knew, and I should have asked him.

Thanks again Doug and Paskel for your interest and comments.

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Model Retrospective-truck-22.jpg  
Old 01-30-2023, 11:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 46.91 MB
Hi all again !

These trucks were actually registered in the Netherlands.
Beginning in 1906, these numbered certificates were issued by province, so each number began with one or two letters to indicate the province. After the letter identifying the province, here the (G) for "Northern Netherlands", came a maximum of five digits. In the North and South Netherlands, a single letter became insufficient, so a (X) and later an (Z) were added after the (G).
Thus, for these 2 trucks the letters GZ or GX designate the province "Northen Netherlands". In 1956, this identification system was replaced.
link here to translate => Nederlands kenteken - Wikipedia
So no more doubt DougH !
Kindly your
Old 02-02-2023, 07:59 AM

Hi All,

Railcars hold a unique place in railroading history. For the uninitiated, a railcar is a mainline, self-propelled, passenger-carrying car that either operates alone or can be joined to similar railcars to form a small train. Designed for short-haul, high-speed service, they can be considered a cross between an interurban streetcar and a passenger train.

Throughout the world, there have been quite a few railcars built and operated over the years, but in practice, the idea has never really taken hold in America. High operating costs, low passenger payload, greater distances between large cities and easy access to our superhighway system all contributed to the demise of railcars in this country. However, from a design standpoint, some railcars rate an 11 on the cool factor. The three examples seen here, all from Tom Greensfelder’s collection, will show what I mean. Let’s begin with the yellow model below.

The Schienenzeppelin, or Rail Zeppelin, was built in Germany in the early 1930s and is seen at speed in a photograph below. It was so named because of its resemblance to the silver Zeppelin airships of the time, even though its design and construction had no connection whatsoever with the Zeppelin company. The lightweight aluminum railcar was originally powered by two, six cylinder, BMW gasoline engines driving a four-bladed pusher propeller which in turn pushed the car forward. On the 21st of June, 1931, the Rail Zeppelin set a new world speed record of 143.0 mph, a railroading record that stood for 23 years. Due to the obvious dangers of an 85 foot long, lightweight aluminum missile riding on just two axles powered by a four-bladed chopper rotating just mere feet away from passengers on the platform, the type never entered service. After years of tinkering to make it safe and viable, it was finally broken up in 1939 and melted into Messerschmitts.

The paper model was published in Germany by RAPI, the same publisher of the red motorcycle seen a couple of weeks ago. The fit was fair and the build straightforward, with special attention given to preventing a twist in the long body. While not an accurate scale model, it does give a good impression of the original Schienenzeppelin.

Next up is a paper model from Argentina. Published by Billiken, the century-old Argentine children’s magazine, the model is titled, Tren Aereo, or, Air Train. It represents a suspended monorail of the Bennie Railplane type, revealed in the vintage scale model photo below. Scotsman George Bennie spent years promoting his ideas for an intercity monorail, finally seeing a 426 foot long test track built in 1929. The complex track system was to be built directly over the main lines of existing railroads, obviating the need for expensive and time consuming excavation and earthwork as the rail line had already been laid. Electric motors drove the fore and aft propellers ensuring a quick and quiet ride for the car’s passengers. But in the end, the Depression-era scheme ran out of time and money, and the test track was scrapped in 1956 with Bennie dying a year later.

The Billiken model shows a less ambitious version of the Railplane, with a shorter, boxier car and a less elaborate gantry. I put a lot of work into the paper superstructure to strengthen it and keep it in line. Argentina is not known as a paper model powerhouse, so the Tren Aereo is indeed a rare model of a rarely modeled subject.

Lastly, we return to the Rail Zeppelin, albeit in a more colorful guise. This model is known as the Schienenzepp, a cheeky, freelance design of the Rail Zeppelin concept. The original page suffered from wear and age, and it took considerable time to clean up the scan. It was a tricky build, and I even made a white model to work out the fit and kinks. After I got the giant propeller to spin, I wondered how it would ever pass through a tunnel. Believed to have been published in Germany by Erlus, the colorful railzep rounds out the trio of this week’s vintage paper models.

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Model Retrospective-monorail-1.jpg   Vintage Model Retrospective-monorail-2.jpg   Vintage Model Retrospective-monorail-3.jpg   Vintage Model Retrospective-monorail-4.jpg   Vintage Model Retrospective-monorail-5.jpg  

Vintage Model Retrospective-monorail-6.jpg   Vintage Model Retrospective-monorail-7.jpg   Vintage Model Retrospective-monorail-8.jpg   Vintage Model Retrospective-monorail-9.jpg   Vintage Model Retrospective-monorail-10.jpg  

Vintage Model Retrospective-monorail-11.jpg   Vintage Model Retrospective-monorail-12.jpg   Vintage Model Retrospective-monorail-13.jpg   Vintage Model Retrospective-monorail-14.jpg   Vintage Model Retrospective-monorail-15.jpg  

Vintage Model Retrospective-monorail-16.jpg   Vintage Model Retrospective-monorail-17.jpg   Vintage Model Retrospective-monorail-18.jpg   Vintage Model Retrospective-monorail-19.jpg   Vintage Model Retrospective-monorail-20.jpg  

Google Adsense