PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Vintage Models

Old 03-30-2023, 06:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 553.70 MB
Hi All,

It’s almost as if there is an implied contract between a paper model designer and the paper modeler. The designer agrees to do his best to create a well-proportioned, properly drawn and tastefully colored paper model that fits together without too many problems. On the other hand, the paper modeler agrees to do his best to build a clean, straight model that does credit to the design. Usually, this understanding is carried out by both parties, and everyone is happy. But sometimes, the contract is broken.

Most of my workbench failures came during my rollercoaster ride on the learning curve. Stupid mistakes such as a big, gluey thumbprint on the surface of a wing or unsightly gaps in a battleship’s hull are pretty standard for the novice modeler. These errors are to be expected. The unexpected errors come in the form of poorly designed models that can’t possibly fit together using the parts as they are drawn. This is where the designer breaks his bond with the modeler. Behold the two models seen below.

The green tractor comes from Argentina and was published by Billiken, the same publisher that issued the suspended monorail previously described. To be fair, most of the tractor’s parts fit together well enough. It is when the modeler tries to attach the rear fenders to the tractor that the big problem is discovered. The diameters of the arches that are meant hold the fenders are far too small. In the first photograph below, you can see my test model and how the rear wheels couldn’t possibly fit under the fender. The second picture shows my test solution. It’s an easy fix for an adult with a computer and printer, but a young modeler of sixty years ago might be stymied to the point of giving up. The test photos also show a set of rear-mounted access steps that were confusing and difficult to construct and were ultimately eliminated from the final build.

Both models shown here came from the collection of Tom Greensfelder. Tom gave me a heads up to the problems he had during his tractor build, so I was prepared to deal with them. He also told me that his assistant Alexandra, an experienced paper modeler, had tried her hand at building the other model seen below. Things did not go well.

The band saw model, published by the little-known French firm of Imagerie Marcel Vagné, Jarville-Nancy is the titleholder of the most egregious designer error I’ve ever seen in a published paper model. Note again in the first photograph how one side of my test band saw towers over the other side, evidence of both a wild miscalculation and not a single test build before publication. Also, notice that the four corners of the base don’t close properly. The model is really quite awful, and it was a true challenge to set it right. Lowering the high side of the band saw wasn’t that difficult but closing up the corners took some doing. Trial and error and printing out more sheets that I care to remember resulted in a passable effort, considering what I had to start with. The doctored model is a fair representation of a machine shop band saw of the time and the included figure gives the saw a needed sense of scale.

Vintage paper models can be a challenge, but the rewards can be worth the effort. But I’m not building either one of these models again. Ever.

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Model Retrospective-hard-model-1.jpg   Vintage Model Retrospective-hard-model-2.jpg   Vintage Model Retrospective-hard-model-3.jpg   Vintage Model Retrospective-hard-model-4.jpg   Vintage Model Retrospective-hard-model-5.jpg  

Vintage Model Retrospective-hard-model-6.jpg   Vintage Model Retrospective-hard-model-7.jpg   Vintage Model Retrospective-hard-model-8.jpg   Vintage Model Retrospective-hard-model-9.jpg   Vintage Model Retrospective-hard-model-10.jpg  

Vintage Model Retrospective-hard-model-11.jpg   Vintage Model Retrospective-hard-model-12.jpg   Vintage Model Retrospective-hard-model-13.jpg   Vintage Model Retrospective-hard-model-14.jpg  
Old 03-30-2023, 07:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Well, you certainly made silk purses out of a couple of sow's ears. The final models with your modifications look very good. The pale green color on both models and the simulated weathering make for a pleasing appearance.

I always enjoy your essays on the art of dealing with antique paper models.

Don
Old 03-30-2023, 02:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.03 MB
Well, you know what they say about "no pain no gain". You've done yourself proud there, and not for the first time.
Old 04-06-2023, 07:35 AM

Hi All,

And hello and thanks to Don and Philip for your continued interest and support.

It’s no surprise that the three blue ships seen below come from Germany. They instantly bring to mind the early 20th century tinplate boats of the great German toy makers Marklin, Bing, Carette and Fleishmann. The three paper models came in an undated folder titled Unsere Marine, or Our Navy, published by J. F. Schreiber. Originally, the set included four models. A close look at the folder’s cover art will reveal an early, black destroyer steaming in front of the largest ship. This destroyer is missing from the set and was probably built by its original owner. Thankfully, he was one and done, leaving the remaining three exceedingly rare boats to be collected and scanned by Tom Greensfelder.

While there are no instructions as such, there are notes scattered about the pages in German, French and English. I’ll use the English titles for my descriptions. Starting with the smallest ship, the IInd Class Ironclad-Cruiser, we find the most realistic model of the trio. No modern turrets are present, but the deck guns are protected by sloping armor. The twin military masts carry mahogany yards that support square sails, a common feature on early ironclads that depended on steam power of dubious reliability. The largest guns are carried in the hull, but they can only fire a weak, triple-gun broadside. To the modern eye, this ship is the most relatable of the three as it offers a clean, uncluttered hull and superstructure to the viewer. Such an undergunned ship might be regarded as a frigate in our WW II navy, not the cruiser it is labeled here.

Next up is the Ist Class Ironclad-Cruiser. Somewhat more formidable than the previous model, this ship really ramps up the fantasy factor. Nothing like it has ever set sail. The forward deck gun is now in a hardened housing, but because it can’t rotate, it can’t yet be called a turret. The more substantial masts with their enclosures provide stable and comfortable observation platforms from which the crew can scan the surrounding seas. A more powerful broadside will be possible as soon as the crew repositions the outsized life boats. And, if the cruiser needs to retreat, it can fire off a few parting shots from its aft battery of three rifled guns.

Come for the cruisers, stay for the battleship. The so-called Modern Ship of the Line is the last and largest of the three models and this ship can be described as a riot of imaginative design. The four sponsons that are attached to the sides of the ship were the last chance for the unknown artist to give one of his ships real turrets, but it was not to be. The sponsons are reminiscent of the similar structures found on WW I era British tanks. The guns can traverse and elevate, but are severely restricted by the physical limits of the sponsons. With its flags flying over its 19 guns and armored fighting tops, the Modern Ship of the Line is ready for tabletop battle.

I began this thread late last year to post some of the models I built in our effort to publish a book about vintage paper models. Many thanks go to fellow co-conspirator Tom Greensfelder for his generosity in sharing his vast collection with me and by extension, you. With the weather finally clearing and warmer days ahead, it’s time to wrap up this thread and move into summer. If Tom or I happen on another new and interesting old model, we may post it here sometime in the future. All the Best.

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog

P.S. The ship’s eight parts pages will be found in the following post. T. D.
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Model Retrospective-blue-boat-1.jpg   Vintage Model Retrospective-blue-boat-2.jpg   Vintage Model Retrospective-blue-boat-3.jpg   Vintage Model Retrospective-blue-boat-4.jpg   Vintage Model Retrospective-blue-boat-5.jpg  

Vintage Model Retrospective-blue-boat-6.jpg   Vintage Model Retrospective-blue-boat-7.jpg   Vintage Model Retrospective-blue-boat-8.jpg   Vintage Model Retrospective-blue-boat-9.jpg   Vintage Model Retrospective-blue-boat-10.jpg  

Vintage Model Retrospective-blue-boat-11.jpg   Vintage Model Retrospective-blue-boat-12.jpg   Vintage Model Retrospective-blue-boat-13.jpg   Vintage Model Retrospective-blue-boat-14.jpg   Vintage Model Retrospective-blue-boat-15.jpg  

Vintage Model Retrospective-blue-boat-16.jpg   Vintage Model Retrospective-blue-boat-17.jpg   Vintage Model Retrospective-blue-boat-18.jpg   Vintage Model Retrospective-blue-boat-19.jpg   Vintage Model Retrospective-blue-boat-20.jpg  

Old 04-06-2023, 07:47 AM

Hi Again,

Here are the eight pages of drawings.

T. D.
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Model Retrospective-blue-boat-21.jpg   Vintage Model Retrospective-blue-boat-22.jpg   Vintage Model Retrospective-blue-boat-23.jpg   Vintage Model Retrospective-blue-boat-24.jpg   Vintage Model Retrospective-blue-boat-25.jpg  

Vintage Model Retrospective-blue-boat-26.jpg   Vintage Model Retrospective-blue-boat-27.jpg   Vintage Model Retrospective-blue-boat-28.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 04-06-2023, 08:15 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
The “medieval appearance of “Unsere Marine” is fascinating. Plenty of fuel for the imagination.
Their configurations make them easy projects to build.

I have enjoyed this thread with all of the curious and remarkable pieces you have presented.
I hope you revisit it sometime in the future.

Regards,
Mike
Old 04-06-2023, 02:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.03 MB
Well, bye for now Thumb Dog. I do hope to see you back again in the not too distant future. Meanwhile, enjoy the summertime.
Old 04-09-2023, 07:23 AM

Hi All,

Thanks Phil and Mike for your comments. Summer awaits…

Mike, I’ve been following your Ulfberht Project with interest. I have a familiarity with freelance battleships as I built one a few years ago, albeit mine used a fiberglass hull with brass superstructure. My thread on the subject details my Clockwork Battleship and ran in Model Boat Mayhem. For interested parties, the address for the piece is:

Clockwork Battleship

Best to all,

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Model Retrospective-finished-loki-061-2-.jpg  
Old 04-09-2023, 08:39 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Thumb Dog:
I went with your link and enjoyed looking at your Clockwork Battleship project.
Absolutely gorgeous. I think you successfully achieved a “Marklin” type ship without the “Malcolm” money.
Those types of toy battleships are a pleasure to see. They provide many ideas and much inspiration to a “freelance” battleship builder.

I see your hull was fiberglass. I assume the rest of the ship was made of metal?
Old 04-10-2023, 12:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.69 GB
many thanks gentlemen for these wonderful vintage models, enjoy the summer.
Google Adsense