PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Vintage Models

Old 05-21-2010, 05:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Pat - Your Anglais is parfait, and I was delighted to find that I could read your French traduction.

It's merveillux how paper modeling brings people together across cultures and distance. There are at least six countries represented in this single thread.

Do you plan to try to reproduce the scene in the print? I would love to see a paper model of a refined, wistful kabuki actor contemplating a paper model!

Don
Old 05-21-2010, 05:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 40.66 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
Do you plan to try to reproduce the scene in the print? I would love to see a paper model of a refined, wistful kabuki actor contemplating a paper model!
Don
YES !!! I could not resist to do it !!! Or to try it...
I think that I will use the texture on the printing to give an ancient look to the papercraft...

Fisrt step, the plan of the house...
Old 05-21-2010, 06:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 614.80 MB
Most excellent translating, YuG and Don!

I shared this with Tony Cole in Tokyo. He says that the Tobacco and Salt Museum in Tokyo also has a print of this, but he had only seen it in a black and white reprint. He says also that it is a Kabuki actor contemplating the tatebanko, and supposes that the model is a depiction of a specific production (that he may be starring in). He thinks that the images above the actor's head are from the Kabuki play, and indicate which specific one it was, but has not deciphered the old script.

This image shows the sophistication of tatebanko design from before 1825, and that the market is certainly not children, but adults.

I visited the Boston Museum several years ago, hoping to see the actual prints by Hokusai. Was not able to get permission to do so on the spot, though met several enthusiastic young people doing research fellowships on prints. Possibly, with advance notice, a viewing could be arranged, but they do not make it easy. Getting a museum interested in doing a show might be one way to re-awaken this art form. Thinking wildly and randomly out of the box, Mingei Museum in San Diego might be one that could be interested... But I have little concept of how these things actually happen.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
This seems like the kind of thing that would be perfect for the Freer and Sackler Galleries of the Smithsonian in DC.

Once things get less hectic for me after the return from France and the summer teaching, I'd like to try a couple of tatebanko to bring to the IPMC in October. I know that my daughter-in-law (originally from Taiwan and quite good with all sorts of paper craft) has been following this thread. Perhaps she might build some for display -- and maybe provide some info on whether there was a Chinese equivalent (stage sets for Chinese opera).

Don
Old 05-21-2010, 12:56 PM

I start to model the house... But there is a perspective problem in the printing. I think that I have to make choices to be consistant. I probably will reduce the inferior part.
After that I will make the second part of the house (which have perspective problem too...).
Attached Thumbnails
Tatebanko 1882-img_3481bis.jpg   Tatebanko 1882-img_3482bis.jpg   Tatebanko 1882-house.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 05-21-2010, 01:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 41.26 MB
Pat_craft; It looks like a good beginning. I think the original tatebanko may have had some perspective problems too...

Don; You are spot on about the Freer and Sackler Collections! My web search turned up this press release:

"Tatebanko: Japanese Paper Dioramas
"Saturday, March 27 and April 10, at 2 p.m., and Sunday, March 28 and April 11, at 2 "p.m.
"Participants can create a diorama of a scene from the Edo period in Japan (17th "century) using copies of Japanese wood-block prints in the Freer and Sackler "collections.

My mouth is watering, but unfortunately we are a couple weeks late. Getting closer though. I sent a note asking details about what they have as well as whether there are any reproduction prints available.

If Pat_craft gives permission, I will post any results in this thread, but it seems to be morphing into a design thread, so perhaps it would be better to resurrect one of the older tatebanko thread.

What do you think? I don't want to do a hijack, especially when there's no loot.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:29 AM

Of course, Thomas, you can post any results in this thread and
you're right thomas, the build must be in a new thread.
I start it here.

I didn't found any photography about this meeting you notice, I was curious to see some...

Last edited by Pat_craft; 05-22-2010 at 12:43 AM.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 41.26 MB
Pat_craft;
I was not suggesting that you start a new thread for your design: You started this one and can do what you wish with it.

Sometimes it becomes difficult to discern exactly what the topic of a thread happens to be. The changing form, and weaving in and out of ideas is one of the things that makes this forum so interesting. I did not know where you wanted the thread to go and stopped to ask you.

You have chosen a very generous and gracious solution, and I thank you.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
I found this URL on Tatebankos: ™ƒIƒ‚ƒ`ƒƒ‚‚‚‚ Web’”́™ and as far I understand there has been Tatebankos on CD-ROm but they al seem to be sold out. Would it be worth while if some who actually can japanese could make in inquiry if those collections could be coming back on sale anyday? Very nice examples there.

And here is a Google search on Tatebankos (in Japanese)-

Last edited by Tapcho; 05-22-2010 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Added a link.
Old 05-22-2010, 01:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
This looks like a site selling some as well.
??????????????

Google Adsense