PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 02-04-2008, 02:18 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Curently live in High Desert country, Redmond, Oregon to be specific.
Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via AIM to Ashrunner
You could always build the world famous line of Flintstones models. They are found here about halfway down the page.

The designer is a member of this forum and for some strange reason pushes his designs as often as he can.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:06 PM

Some seriously cool stuff on all of these web sites. Someday I hope to work on many of them. I think I've decided on my first build. I just hope it's not too ambitious. I found a B-52 model on the Fiddlersgreen.net. It has two versions: The NASA B model in all black with the X-15 and a Viet Nam era D model. What I'd really like to do is convert the D into an H model and change the color to all grey, like the fly today. I have a lot of reference material at work to get the shorter vertical stab, the 40" plug in the tail and the plate covering the used to was tail gun port, as well as the bazillion antennae and radomes not shown in the photos on the FG website. Sorry, before anyone asks for the reference data, much of it is proprietaty and I can't give it out. If I do get the mods I'm planning done, I can release those. Not the recolor though. That would be a copyright infringement. I could release some nose art and current tail numbering info once I get that stuff done. It would have to be pasted over the proper areas if anyone so chooses and has the kit to bash. Wish me luck. Oh yeah, I don't have the kit yet. first I need to convince the powers that be that this is better than the alternative of spending $83.50 for the 1:72 scale plastic kit from Italeri.

Currently working on: ISS
Old 02-05-2008, 02:15 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee4752 View Post
I think I've decided on my first build. I just hope it's not too ambitious. I found a B-52 model on the Fiddlersgreen.net. It has two versions: The NASA B model in all black with the X-15 and a Viet Nam era D model. What I'd really like to do is convert the D into an H model and change the color to all grey, like the fly today.

Lee

You'll find a number of design errors in the Fiddlersgreen model of the BUFF. The nose could pass as an H model nose, though, so that's a big help. Several years ago, I embarked on reworking GPM's B-52D into the H model, along with fixing design problems with that kit and turning it into 56-0674, callsign Ebony 2, which was flown by a crew from the base I was stationed at the day the aircraft was shot down. Several of the crew were friends of mine. On the GPM "D" model, the nose is a G and H design, the tail gunner position is too long and the markings and paint scheme are incorrect. Bashing it to an H model "Snake" would be easy. However, I am still working on it 8v) Very slowly. Redrawing each part, and placing a new camo pattern on the bird it time consuming.

The H model I plan to turn it into is "Balls 28" which as a nuclear alert bomber at Kincheloe AFB, Mi, in 1973, began to roll during a Green Dot 8 exercise and right in front of me, the bomb bay caught fire, gear collapsed and the bird came to a sparking halt on the only active runway. Of course, it was my one and only time yelling "Broken Arrow" and running for my life (along with everyone else on the tarmac at the time). Several hours later, I began a 13 hour vigil of hand pumping the fuel off the bird so it could be moved (after special weapons were removed).

Mine has been a long road so far, I hope your's goes a bit better and quicker. Good luck, and if you need any help, give a yell.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
Lee,
As Ash said, the FG B-52 isn't the most accurate, but it is a good model. I recently built the Mothership and X-15. It went together quite well. The huge size is also nice because there isn't anything "fiddly" to mess up. It would make a good starting point. It comes in 4 versions, 5 if you count the smaller regular version. I am a big fan!
Old 02-05-2008, 09:53 PM

Well, for a first try, "accurate" isn't quite as important as "can be put together." I haven't entered a contest since 1992 at Verlinden Productions in O'Fallon, MO. The plastic, superdetailed F4U-4 for which I won a silver medal melted in my car on my way to Phoenix, AZ. Paper won't melt. Speaking of which, I'm having a time locating 1mm card stock here in Wichita, KS. I only started looking, but it shouldn't be this difficult. Even my two kids don't eat enough cereal to keep a good stock on hand. Any suggestions, online sources?

Lee

Google Adsense
Old 02-05-2008, 09:58 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
check the back of your legal pad

Desk Calendar?
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 02-05-2008, 10:02 PM

Ash,
Since I haven't yet actually purchased the FG BUFF, if you think the GPM kit is better, I'll bow to experience. Can you tell me where I might obtain it? Sounds like I'd still have to at least redraw the vertical tail and recolor it. A too long portion behind the vertical stab might be correct for an H. Else that'll just be something additional to redo. I'll also need to add the plate covering the gun port, as this will be after the tailgun was removed.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Quote:
Speaking of which, I'm having a time locating 1mm card stock here in Wichita, KS. I only started looking, but it shouldn't be this difficult. Even my two kids don't eat enough cereal to keep a good stock on hand. Any suggestions, online sources?

Lee
Can always laminate 1mm from thinner card - 3 * Manila folders is about 1mm.
Use a spray on glue to minimise distortion.

Charlie
Old 02-05-2008, 10:14 PM

I knew I'd get some more use out if that J-roller I had to but a few years ago

Old 02-06-2008, 07:58 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Ash,
Since I haven't yet actually purchased the FG BUFF, if you think the GPM kit is better, I'll bow to experience. Can you tell me where I might obtain it? Sounds like I'd still have to at least redraw the vertical tail and recolor it. A too long portion behind the vertical stab might be correct for an H. Else that'll just be something additional to redo. I'll also need to add the plate covering the gun port, as this will be after the tailgun was removed.
Lee

The GPM BUFF might be out of print, but could be available at Lou's Papermodels.net. It might also be found at some of the other online stores. And it may show up on eBay.

If you can find it, it would probably be a good starting point for a bash to an H model. But Fiddlers Green version is readily available...and with work, would also suffice.

If I do come across the GPM version, I'll let you know where I found it.
Google Adsense