PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 02-06-2008, 09:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Thanks for trying Ash, I think I'll try the FG BUFF after all. One thing though, on the picture of the FG kit I see on the papermodels.net site it looks like the wings are attached rather flat seriously lacking in attack angle. It may be the angle from which the picturewas taken, but this seems like it may be a pretty difficult correctionif it's really there. Has anyone actually done one of these kits or have info about the general overall level of correction needed?

Currently working on: ISS
Old 02-06-2008, 09:37 PM
Eternal Member

Lee: For backing card, try shirt cardboard from the cleaners. In my case that comes out around .030 inch, which works pretty well,

www.geoghegan.us
Current build: GPM Halberstadt DII
Old 02-07-2008, 01:47 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Curently live in High Desert country, Redmond, Oregon to be specific.
Send a message via AIM to Ashrunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee4752 View Post
Thanks for trying Ash, I think I'll try the FG BUFF after all. One thing though, on the picture of the FG kit I see on the papermodels.net site it looks like the wings are attached rather flat seriously lacking in attack angle. It may be the angle from which the picturewas taken, but this seems like it may be a pretty difficult correctionif it's really there. Has anyone actually done one of these kits or have info about the general overall level of correction needed?
I know of a number of people who have done the FG BUFF. I believe a couple are on this forum. If I remember correctly, the wings do have an odd attachment.

You might want to start a new thread with something about the FG B-52 in the title to grab the attention of builders of the kit. Buried in here, they may be skimming over the title and missing the info...if you know what I mean.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Lee, let me add my belated welcome to the group. Given the asking price of the FG BUFF, you might as well go a few extra bucks and purchase the CD collection it appears in (with the bonus of having a few months of free downloads of any new models they may happen to produce, but don't hold your breath on that issue). I haven't done a detailed look lately, but I think it is on the bomber collection CD. Also. the CDs usually have a black-and-white (outline) version of the later kits, which really helps the recolor process. One thing about FG models....they don't have much in the way of internal framework, and rely instead on shaping of the skin sections to maintain the model's shape. It seems to work fairly well with the smaller models, but I have concerns with something as large as the BUFF.

Last edited by Darwin; 02-07-2008 at 03:27 PM. Reason: fogged glasses from wrassling with the snowblower
Old 02-07-2008, 07:38 PM

Ash, Thought I'd wait til I actually had a kit B4 I started a new thread. It should be really soon now.

Darwin, I'd be pretty concerned myself. Fortunately, I just happen to work for Boeing and am involved with B-52 sustainment. I have access to some reference materials for this project which, I'm sorry to say I can't share due to their proprietary nature. It's not so much a matter of correcting inaccuracies in the kit as how much detail I want to install. I'm hoping to display this either at our building; at the SPO at Tinker AFB, OK; or at one of the Bomb Wings at Barksdale AFB, LA; or Minot AFB, ND; depending on which A/C I end up building. As such, I probably at least need to open the bomb bay and show the rotary launcher. This means Ill need to add all of the visible structure as well. Another thing about this airctaft is that the fuselage cross-section is constant for most of its length.

Google Adsense
Old 02-08-2008, 01:33 AM
Eternal Member

Location: Curently live in High Desert country, Redmond, Oregon to be specific.
Send a message via AIM to Ashrunner
Darwin brings up a point I had forgotten about.

The B-52 fuselage shape is very difficult to maintain without internal formers and it doesn't bode well for strength either. When Darwin mentioned it, it sent my brain into "way-back mode," and really became concerned about that possible problem.

I decided I would continue reworking my scans of my GPM version since it is well structured with framing. Keep an eye on that while you're working on it. If you have good cross sections, designing internal framing shouldn't be too hard. You can also strengthen the longer glue tabs on the top and sides which might help.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:59 AM

Send a message via AIM to APA-168 Send a message via Yahoo to APA-168 Send a message via Skype™ to APA-168
Welcome Lee and I look forward to your 52H! Probably the longest serving bomber in history. The basic 52 design will be almost 90 years old by the time the last H is retired in 2040!

[email protected]
Old 02-08-2008, 09:15 PM

I just started my BUFF thread so you may want to check there. I'm already planning on giving this model a good amount of internal structure. That way I can open up the bomb bay as well as be able to breath on it without causing major malfunctions (I think I used to work for him at Kirtland AFB).