PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 10-30-2013, 09:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Seeking New Skills

Howdy!

I am a plastic scale modeler, but became intrigued by the possibilities of card modeling when I found Harry Woodman's classic book: Scale Modeling in Plastic Card. As he wrote in the introduction, many of the techniques he used with plastic card were first developed by paper modelers. I have experimented with some of the techniques he described in his book and found them to be very useful for plastic modeling, so I am here to learn more about paper modeling that might be applied to plastic.

I am also interested in learning more about card modeling for its own sake, as it is an entirely unknown area for me and I am always curious to learn new things.

Karl
Google Adsense
Old 10-30-2013, 11:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Welcome to the forum. What types of models interest you most?
Old 10-30-2013, 02:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Welcome to the site.

You will find a lot of information about all kinds of paper models here. Do not hesitate to ask questions.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:54 PM

You must be warned; paper modeling is extremely addictive, and most of us here are lifelong addicts. Furthermore, almost all of us have built plastic models at some point, so we know exactly where you are coming from. We're glad to have you here, and can't wait to see you get started! Welcome, welcome!
Old 10-30-2013, 03:07 PM

Welcome to the dark side! We are, most of us, just sane enough to be allowed scissors and X-Acto knives.
Some of us are members of the Braille-Scale Brigade, so don't get too upset if the scale numbers below the bar get into three figures.
I believe you will find this a consensual group, devoted to the creed of: Cut - Bend- Glue - Show - Gloat - Repeat. Heh.
Have fun and show off your work (Don't be shy. We're gentlefolk here, mostly.)
Old 10-30-2013, 08:15 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Welcome aboard, Karl! Echoing the above - I think you'll find some interesting advantages in card/paper. It's cheap, relatively easy to design or scratch build your own creations, graphics are limited only by your creativity (and drawing software), and you can reprint as many parts/models as you like - see first point.
You can find info and inspiration in the design and build threads, samples to try out in the downloads (or links section), and tons of background at Card Modeling FAQ (a classic site but it's still there).
Yogi
Old 10-31-2013, 06:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 8.70 MB
Welcome Karl, I too am new to this Card/Paper modelling world. I just found this site 7 days ago. What I have found in the past 7 days is many people willing to help get you started and offer advice. There are plenty of sites offering Free downloads to get you started. I already have 5 aircraft in my "waiting" line to build. I joined this world, like you, to expand my model building skills. Poke around the Forum, Enjoy the awesome builds, and as the others have said, ask questions.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:15 AM

Thank you all for the very warm welcome! What a great group of people! You all should be very proud of the community you have here.

I just touched on the barest tip of the iceberg when I decided to join, now it's time for me to really dig in and explore.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermin_King View Post
Welcome to the forum. What types of models interest you most?
I love aircraft of all types and all eras, but have a special interest in Golden Age and late 1940s to early 1960s. There was so much experimentation going on during those eras, they were very exciting and interesting times. I like the popular types as much as the next guy, but what really turns me on are the obscure types. So many fascinating and even weird aircraft that have disappeared with almost no traces left. Modeling can be a way to preserve and maybe even in some ways resurrect the memory of those rare machines.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
I think many of us feel the same way that you do. Have you done any models, yet?
Google Adsense