PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 01-12-2014, 10:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 41.26 MB
Don't be intimidated if your first attempts don't come out as good as the Photo of the Week. We all start out with a few botched projects that end up in the wastebasket. But even the worst of these has something to teach us.

Keep your knives sharp and your fingers out of the way.
Thomas
Old 01-12-2014, 10:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 302.42 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Meek View Post
Don't be intimidated if your first attempts don't come out as good as the Photo of the Week. We all start out with a few botched projects that end up in the wastebasket. But even the worst of these has something to teach us.
Thomas
So true! Even now, I say that if you like one of my finished models, there are a couple just like it in the trash can!

Take your time, and don't get discouraged.

Les (The Voice of Authority -- VoiceofAuthority.net - The Voice Stylings of Les Dorr, Jr.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:28 PM
Time out

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakopious View Post
Tips:

1. Print model on 67 Lb cardstock. (Plain paper is too hard to work with.)

2. Score fold lines with something dull (dry ballpoint pen, crochet needle, etc.) Do the scoring on top of a piece of cardboard to get a good score. Scoring on a hard surface does not work well.

3. Elmer's white glue will work but Aleene's Tacky Glue works much better.

4. A cheap plastic kitchen cutting mat will work as well as the expensive cutting mats sold in hobby stores.

5. Touch-up the white edges to make the model look better (colored pencils, acrylic paint, etc.)

Good Luck !
Okay, I think I have a cutting surface I can use. Colored pencils I already have, something to make the edges sharper (crochet needle) I have, the glue I will have to go buy, card stock I guess I can cut to shape a page from my drawing book. I'm not sure of the "weight" but its thicker than copy paper.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
I just picked up a pack of 67 lb cardstock last week on sale. And there is always Walmart.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:34 PM
Time out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermin_King View Post
I just picked up a pack of 67 lb cardstock last week on sale. And there is always Walmart.
Ok, I will try there. I still have a few dollars left.
Google Adsense
Old 01-13-2014, 04:38 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Pacifica, Calif. near the coast over looking the Pacific Ocean near San Francisco
Total Downloaded: 842.88 MB
Howdy Stephanie and welcome aboard. If you go over again everything so far typed then you have more info then you really need but isn't great it is. Just bring your best question and I am sure someone will help you out. Good luck. wc
Old 01-13-2014, 04:43 PM
Time out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wad Cutter View Post
Howdy Stephanie and welcome aboard. If you go over again everything so far typed then you have more info then you really need but isn't great it is. Just bring your best question and I am sure someone will help you out. Good luck. wc
Thank you Wad Cutter.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Dear Stephanie:
Card stock comes in many thicknesses and art paper does too, just cut your 9x12 paper to 8.5x11 to fit the printer most of the art paper in Tablets should be about 50# weight and will work well for smaller animials from cannon. trick read the instructions from screen or print on regular paper and just print the model on cardstock. now severial members are also from Penn. send some PM to them and see if you could meet for a afternoon. Once a year is a paper models weekend at Carlyle barrecks. Try Don Boose.
Enjoy the hobby,
MILES
Old 01-13-2014, 05:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Linnabery View Post
Dear Stephanie:
Card stock comes in many thicknesses and art paper does too, just cut your 9x12 paper to 8.5x11 to fit the printer most of the art paper in Tablets should be about 50# weight and will work well for smaller animials from cannon. trick read the instructions from screen or print on regular paper and just print the model on cardstock. now severial members are also from Penn. send some PM to them and see if you could meet for a afternoon. Once a year is a paper models weekend at Carlyle barrecks. Try Don Boose.
Enjoy the hobby,
MILES
yup was gonna say never print out instructions,read them from screen saves heaps in paper and more importantly ink.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 114.17 MB
Welcome and good luck. Remember, if you make a mistake or are not satisfied you reprint the sheet and start over. That's the best part of paper modeling.
Google Adsense