PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 01-21-2014, 11:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.72 MB
Hi from San Jose, CA

Hi,
I found this forum by accident really while looking for models to work on with my grandson. I'm "almost" retired and looking forward to having more time to do this kind of stuff again. Having done mostly plastic modeling in the past, I'm interested on seeing the kind of things you guys can do.....
Google Adsense
Old 01-21-2014, 11:39 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 594.81 MB
Welcome! Glad to have you here, what sort of models are you interested in other than plastic?

If you need anything feel free to private message me, I am on here every day for hours.

-RunwayOneSixRight (Matthew)
Old 01-22-2014, 12:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Welcome to the forum. What types of models interest you and which ones would appeal to your grandson?
Old 01-22-2014, 01:23 AM

In the distant past, I built a LOT of plastic models, mostly aircraft, but everything else as well, then got into balsa planes, and boats, but I got into electronics and the modeling sort of fell by the wayside. My grandson (6 years old) is renewing my interest. We build stuff with Lego and Rokenbok, and I think he's got the patience now to start building some real models. I'm thinking I'll start him with the inevitable Spitfire, but I'm sure we'll end up doing Space vehicles and Science fiction stuff. Actually what pulled me in to this site was finding pictures of paper models of the Sno-Cat from the Trans Antarctic Expedition. I remember seeing pictures of them in the paper when I was my Grandson's age, and being thoroughly fascinated by them. I think I'll make one (said he naively).
Old 01-22-2014, 08:32 AM

You don't have to do it that detailed at first. That was an amazing build. If you haven't discovered fiddlersgreen.net, yet, you should go over there and register. When you register you get three free models to get you started.
Google Adsense
Old 01-22-2014, 10:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Welcome to the site.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 7.83 MB
Welcome! I appreciate the whole grandson thing here is a picture of mine helping me with his Canon Carousel and Eagle. These are both free on Canon site
Paper Craft - Canon CREATIVE PARK There are more models here for your grandson than you could build in your retirement and all free. Enjoy I have already built a dozen or so of these. He loves them.
Attached Thumbnails
Hi from San Jose, CA-photo0094.jpg   Hi from San Jose, CA-photo0144.jpg  

"Oh wisdom thou are fled to brutish beasts and men have lost their reason" (Bill Shakespear)
Old 01-22-2014, 11:09 AM

And the one-page Canon animals are great starter models
Old 01-22-2014, 11:23 AM

Thanks for the replies and pointers guys. That's what I need to start with. I'll spend some time tonight looking at these sites. Are there recommendations there or somewhere else regarding the type of paper and glue to use?
Old 01-22-2014, 12:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 7.83 MB
I use 110 lb stock others use 70. It depends on what your printer can handle. Straight through printers handle the heavy stock quite well but the other types do not. If you can't use heavy stock simply laminate two layers together for parts requiring more stiffness. You can spread a thin layer of Aleen's Tacky glue and a press together with a rolling pin. There are a million suggestions available on this site on how to do just about anything. We have some pretty smart and talented people here.

"Oh wisdom thou are fled to brutish beasts and men have lost their reason" (Bill Shakespear)
Google Adsense