PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 06-15-2009, 06:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
Smile Hi, I'm Simon...

...I've been lurking here for a while but never really got round to introducing myself but after all the fuss elsewhere, figured I might as well front up at Happy Hour and say Hi...so "Hi"...

I'm just new to paper modelling, although have been dabbling ion plastic for many years, struggling to rationalise procurement and production ratios without much success. At the moment most of my plastic modelling is all packed for a number of reason like didn't get the hobby hut finished before the onset of winter, have the grandtwins a lot so more aware of putting risky things away out of reach, etc. At the moment paper modelling is my happy medium because I only really have to keep track of one knife and one tube of glue and if the Munchkins get into the models, I can always print out a replacement...

I have cold injuries to my hands so my fingers are much like the Thunderbirds acting, rather wooden, so I am not a very subtle modeller and get frustrated quickly by fiddly parts. Hence I prefer to model in larger scales (another win for paper modelling as I can scale to fit) and argue the toss with my beloved later over storage/display space. I am learning lots of techniques at the rapid rate from the paper modelling community so hopefully so you should see some improvement over time.

My interests are in things that are different and preferably large so lots of prototypes, what-ifs, one-offs, conceptual designs etc across the various domains e.g. aviation, land, maritime etc. I did undertake to try a paper model from each domain first to see what I really like but so far the aviation far are leading 3-nil to all the rest...I am a big Gerry Anderson fan so you will probably be seeing a G.A.P. model or two from me at some stage. My three current projects are the BV p.170 in 1/35, Air Classique Whittakers Tiggie in 1/48 and Nobis XF-103 scale TBA...

Happy to be here and getting on with modelling
Google Adsense
Old 06-15-2009, 06:58 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Glad to see you're here. You might try the Lower Hudson Valley Challenger Center (jleslie48.com) - mostly space, not aviation but a bit of variety. Jon Leslie has several rocket models posted in both the real space and miscellaneous download pages that go together easy - AND that you could do with the grandkids. Also some rocket launchers at the bottom of the misc downloads that are cheap to make and sturdy enough for the grandkids (and might drive their parents nuts too - a win all around).

Yogi
Old 06-15-2009, 09:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hi Simon, (I know, we've met) glad to see you!
Welcome!

Old 06-15-2009, 11:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.95 GB
Hi Simon

Sorry I called you Scott earlier, it's reading too much of the Fandersons thread that does that. I don't know about fiddly but the bigger the better as far as I am concerned. Paper models don't seem to take up as much room as the others sort - maybe because you know they can be scrunched up and binned quickly.

Your fellow tunneller.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Welcome, Simon. I hear you about the plastic stuff being in boxes waiting for the hobby shack to be done....I'm still hanging sheetrock in mine. Does tend to slow the modeling up a bit.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:25 AM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Arrow yo.... Join in with the fun at our place !

If you are into Gerry and Sylvia Anderson come and join the fun at our place{s} We really do DO G&SA and re-live our childhood dreams :D
F.A.B.... P.W.O.R.... Spectrum is Green and so on Nice to have you here ! We live here now after all the probs at Z... But this is a far better home for us :D
Old 06-16-2009, 08:49 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Okay. I'll bite. What are F.A.B., P.W.O.R., Spectrum is Green and, for pity's sake, what on earth are Fandersons and why are they everywhere?

Bewildered minds want to know.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Welcome! Glad you made it over. :-)
Old 06-16-2009, 09:15 AM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott View Post
Okay. I'll bite. What are F.A.B., P.W.O.R., Spectrum is Green and, for pity's sake, what on earth are Fandersons and why are they everywhere?

Bewildered minds want to know.
Ok here goes... F.A.B is one of the stings {one liner} that stays with you for ever..{From THUNDERBIRDS} to put F.A.B into a sentence it would read thus : "Virgil, you are within 12 miles of base" Virgils reply "F.A.B" now to tell you what it stands for.... I haven't got a clue neither have the guys who made it all up :D it means NOTHING ! but i guess you could say it means "ok, thanks" P.W.O.R is a sting from STINGRAY and that stands for "PROCEEDING WITH ORDERS RECIEVED" and as for SPECTRUM IS GREEN they say it as "S.I.G" that's just "EVERTHING IS O.K AND READY" well i hope that helps you mate. Cheers :D or F.A.B almost forgot FANDERSONS = Fans of everthing to do with Gerry and Sylvia Anderson - the creaters of our childhood ! and still there productions LIVE ON through us FOREVER... and we are EVERYWHERE not just in the U.K ! ok S.I.G

Last edited by peter taft; 06-16-2009 at 09:24 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 06-16-2009, 10:30 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Ahhh. The joy that comes from being enlightened. I'd thought that if Fandersons were everywhere perhaps I should get out the vacuum cleaner or bug spray or something. :D

F.A.B.
Google Adsense