PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 10-01-2016, 11:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.92 MB
Hi From South Wales, U.K.

Hello everyone at Paper Modelers.com. May name is Ian, and I'm a long time large scale modeler from Wales in the U.K.

I've recently had to relocate and currently have no workshop, so I decided to look for an interesting alternative to RC modeling to keep my mind active. Paper modeling looks to be the one.

Totally new to this, so I have a lot to learn. Looking forward to meeting a few of you in the forum pages.

Suggestions on a good first model welcomed (I'm a vehicle guy - Aircraft, ships trains, armour etc).

cheers,

Ian
Google Adsense
Old 10-01-2016, 01:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Cool. I'm no longer the only forum member in Wales. Wrong end of the country though. I'm up north near Snowdonia, and I'm afraid I'm not actually Welsh, but a Cockney incomer. Been here for over ten years though, and I'll die here now.

How simple or complex do you want to start with? Just feed 'Paper models' , 'Paper cars', or 'Papercraft' into a Google Images search and you'll wade through thousands of suggestions.
Old 10-01-2016, 01:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 20.45 MB
Hi Ian, I'm getting ready to try my first attempt but looking through the pages of this website makes me wonder.... I haven't found one thing yet that doesn't look like it shouldn't be in a museum. The bar has been set very high as they say.

Anyway welcome aboard.

Tom
Old 10-01-2016, 01:36 PM

Hi John,

Wow... only two of us from Wales? Glad to be aboard. Looks like a really interesting hobby.

I've had a quick gander around the site here and indeed the net, and the array of models is bewildering. I see a lot of them seem to come from Eastern Europe and have instructions in languages I'm not cleaver enough to be able to decider.

I'm guessing this is where the experience and skill come in?

I'm not sure where to start, but it will be with something simple. Crawl before walking and all that. I need a new cutting mat, as mine has seen the rough side or way too many a blade and balsa dust galore. Reading a little about printers too. I only have a basic A4 office inkjet, so perhaps an upgrade in the future.

Is there a standard people use? Or do the more experinaced builders go for the A3 photo printers ?

Sooooo many questions. Do forgive me. By the way... hate ya! Lol. I'd kill to live by Snowdonia. My other passion involves a lot of walking and hiking. So many I've not been up in your neck of the woods.

Ian
Old 10-01-2016, 01:41 PM

Hi Tom, oh, I'm a way off your mark yet. Lots to read and learn before I decide on a model. Something simple that will give a result, and teach me a few basic techniques will win.

I agree. Many of the models here are incredible. lots to learn

Thanks for the welcome. Look forward to seeing your build

Ian
Google Adsense
Old 10-01-2016, 01:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Welcome to the site.

Here are a couple of threads that have some basic building techniques demostrated in a build thread. You can download the model files by clicking on the cutandfold link at the bottom of any of airdave's posts. That will take you to a page with a link to the Dave's Card Creations site. The model files are on there in one of the categories.
Mystery Machine found at Koolwheelz - Cartoonz
Batman Tumbler found at Koolwheelz - StarCarz

Mystery Machine easy build
KoolWheelz Mystery Machine Group Build & Tutorial

Batman Tumbler medium build:
KoolWheelz Tutorial Build - Batman Tumbler

You can also check out the links on this page to find models of varying difficulty:
Free Paper Toys, Paper Models and Paper Crafts at ss42.com
Old 10-01-2016, 02:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
Welcome to the forum

Tim
Old 10-01-2016, 03:55 PM

Hi Doug and Tim,

Just spent an hour reading through the builds you list above. I've picked up quite a few things already. Excellent place to start. Thanks for that.

Seems I'm ok with tools and glues, but lack papers and card stock. I'll have to see what I can dig up at my local art store, or failing that, Ebay.

I'm not sure what will run through my printer (it's only a cheap HP all in one I use for work). It will do for now though time to have a dig through the free model and see what is available.

Cheers once more, Ian
Old 10-01-2016, 04:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
welcome.as learner models which are well served by instructions i would suggest you liik at the canon site,ships,aircraft and heaps more.i only have an a4 printer but have access to a cheap,freindly local quick print shop that do any a3 pages i need

Last edited by herky; 10-01-2016 at 04:06 PM. Reason: add ons
Old 10-02-2016, 03:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.74 GB
Big welcome from Bristol, guess I'm close to south wales as i can get lol