PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 03-14-2017, 10:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 985.89 MB
Something that wasn't mentioned in depth here is scissors. I would suggest you read the thread http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/t...-new-post.html. I use scissors for almost everything. The technique that I use is as follows. I hold the part that I am cutting between my thumb and index finger and use the rest of my fingers as a rest for the side of the bottom scissor blade (see photo). That way you have a firm connection between the card stock and the scissors and you don't have to rest you forearms on the table. You can lean back in your easy chair and relax. It also makes it easy to pivot the card around the scissor blades or the blades around the card (or both), while still maintaining a firm connection. When I'm cutting or gluing, I use an Opti-Visor with a built in light, so that I am not tied to a specific work space. I'm basically lazy, so this way, I don't have to clean up my messy work table.
Attached Thumbnails
For a Paper Beginner-20170314_113557.jpg  
Old 03-14-2017, 11:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
To add to what missileer posted, I cut with just the tips of my fiskars microtip....more like nibbling than cutting, as each cut is only about an eighth of an inch long or so. I find it gives me much better control on curves. And, for long straight cuts, the trusty old Xacto knife and metal straightedge can't be beat.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 190.24 MB
KoolWheelz - Scooby Doo Van Group Build Tutorial

This thread starts with a free model, shows the tools to use, then shows how to use the tools.

It goes step by step, led by the designer of the model.

KoolWheelz Mystery Machine Group Build & Tutorial

-Steve
Old 03-15-2017, 05:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 78.31 MB
Thanks to everyone. A most welcoming response from all. Look forward to knowing you gentlemen further as I progress. Much appreciated.
BB
Old 03-15-2017, 08:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 528.35 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Linnabery View Post
Dear BB:
First start with a scale cube several buried in Toys in our download section One page one part model they have to be scored and cut accurately to look good screw up print another.
Having said that I will say go to the canon paper model site. All types of models but more importantly good instructions to each model.

Canon Creative Park Paper Craft - Canon Creative Park

Hope the link works
Enjoy,
Miles
I also recommend starting with Canon Creative park models. they are very well designed and have very good instructions. They are good basic entry level models, and you can embellish them to make them really good. That's the beauty of paper modeling: anything in the house is material. I did a blinged up version of Canon's cutty sark, and its won modeling competitions against the rivet counters in plastic.
Google Adsense
Old 03-16-2017, 09:20 AM

Location: No longer living in NYC. Mooresville, NC is my home now.
Total Downloaded: 2.51 GB
Hello and welcome. All the mentioned info is great advice, but there's one thing to always remember.
This is a hobby, something to be enjoyed. Something to get away from the days stress or events. Build whatever you like, and like whatever you build.
Make sure you start off slow and with downloaded free kits, there's plenty of all types and sizes. The beauty of a downloaded kit is, if you make a mistake, simply print that part over again, or worse case, reprint the entire kit and start over.
Simply sit back and enjoy!