PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 10-31-2020, 07:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hello from new member

Hi everyone, i have been modelling for many years now with plastic kits and would like to have a go at paper/card models. I am usually a tank buff WW1 and 2. I would like to venture into laser cut models doing my own thing. At the moment i am learning fusion 360 which is quite easy but you have to use it a lot otherwise its easy to forget how you have created things. I would like to find out what are the best kits to get and make and the hints and tips associated with paper card modelling, hopefully you guys can assist.
Google Adsense
Old 11-01-2020, 03:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
Welcome to the forum

Tim
Old 11-01-2020, 05:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 34.87 MB
Welcome, Topfmine!

For browsing top end card armor models, I recommend visiting GPM, an online store based in Poland. Set Google Translate to whatever language you prefer. Currency can display in US Dollars, Euros, and Polish Zils. On the left, under 'Categories', select 'Carton Models', then 'Military Vehicles', then a scale of '1/25'. This will produce a long list of hard and soft skinned military vehicles. The detail view of a kit often includes a few pictures of the finished model. Other card model retailers exist, but to my knowledge, GPM offers the most extensive selection and the most pictures.

For learning how to build card models of military vehicles, I recommend visiting the World of Tanks card model website and trying one or two you like. They currently have about 100 free vehicle models in 1/50 scale including a few World War I offerings. If you want to adjust colors or make revisions, all models easily import into Inkscape.

These days, hundreds of sites offer military vehicle card models, some free, some for purchase, especially in smaller scales. I will leave it to more knowledgeable members of this forum to help with such links. For starters, you can browse the Downloads section of this site.

I am not aware of any comprehensive tutorial on building high end card models. The question comes up often but I have never seen a truly comprehensive guide on the subject. Lots of build threads exist but they rarely include detailed commentary. Perhaps someone else will know where to steer you for such information.

Good luck and when you have more questions, please ask!
Old 11-01-2020, 06:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Thanks Damraska, i will follow that up.
Old 11-01-2020, 06:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 133.91 MB
Hello Topfmine,
welcome from Italy!

Building with paper is quite different from doing with plastic, the fun and fascinating thing I experienced is the building of the 3D parts starting from a flat sheet.

There are some tutorials and guides in the "Self Help Library" category of the Download forum section and a good guide about tools, modeling and designing.

Have a nice stay here.
Old 11-01-2020, 03:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.03 MB
Hello, Topfmine.
Old 11-01-2020, 04:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Also Landships II has >100 WW1 and Interwar cardmodels as well as a small (but growing) number of .stl files for 3D printing.

There are three products related to the WAK Covenanter on WAK's website:

- The model booklet - (WAK 2016/01) everything is there but you cut, fold and edge colour everything yourself.
- Laser cut parts - (LAS 1601) - they don't say but it's usually the frames and some 1mm parts.
- Laser cut tracks - (TRA 1310) - ready to assemble and paint

I have a recollection that the Crusader/Covenanter tracks are made of small and fiddly pieces the laser cut tracks might be worth it.

Regards,

Charlie