PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 08-28-2021, 01:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
first post but not the last post

As requested this post is for the moderators.I have been building model ships and boats for about 60 years. plastic kits as well as wooden plank on frame. Yesterday I placed an order for GPM kit of USS Lexington. My first paper kit but the Lexington has been my favorite ship since 1962. The Lexington has a very special place in Australian history for reasons that anyone with an interest in ww2 will be aware of. I believe that I will need help and advice from the members of this forum. On a personal level, this is the first forum I have joined so I will need time to find my way around but look forward to getting to know some of you. There will be more talk about Lexington in the future. regards aussiejeff
Google Adsense
Old 08-28-2021, 01:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 553.70 MB
Hi All,

And hi, aussiejeff, and welcome to the forum. Many of our members, and myself included, share your story of being multi-media modelers for years before they came to the pastime of paper modeling. The hobby we practice here may not be as well-known as plastic and wood modeling, but it has its own unique challenges and rewards. We wish you the best of luck in your endeavors.

As you said you would like to hear some advice from your fellow forum members regarding your build of the USS Lexington, I thought I’d offer a few comments. I have seen photographs of a completed Lady Lex on the internet, and it builds into a remarkable model. It carries GPM’s highest skill rating at 3. And at 1/200 scale, your finished Lex will be 53 inches long. Add to that the fact that the model has 8488 parts, it will require a major commitment of time and space.

To be frank, I would recommend that you set aside your Lexington model when you get it and start your paper modeling hobby with something a bit smaller.

While the basics of the hobby are simple, there is much to learn if you want to build a straight and clean paper model. It would be a shame to become frustrated with such a large and expensive project as the Lexington and, in abandoning it, not continue on with paper modeling.

There are many smaller, more easily constructed ship models available in published forum. And a quick search on the internet will reveal many freely available models ready to print out and build. I urge you to try a few smaller models before you tackle the Lex. Your collected experiences in building these first models will help you in the larger projects to come.

Best of luck in the hobby.

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Old 08-28-2021, 01:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Welcome to the site.

Paper takes a different set of skills. Here you will cut the parts out, then form them to shape before gluing.

Most here end up with several different "tools" to help with the gluing and pre-shaping the parts.
If you get hooked, soon you might find yourself looking at different papers, glues and such way more than time spent on plastic or wood.

The beauty of paper is all the materials mentioned can be used to enhance the paper model.

We used to have an "old sailing ship" builder here, Doris, who built some of the most impressive builds I've ever seen.

You'll probably have many questions, don't hesitate to ask, plenty here will jump in with the way they do things.

Thank you for joining the site!

Mike

Last edited by mbauer; 08-28-2021 at 01:22 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-28-2021, 02:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.03 MB
Hello from the UK.
Old 09-03-2021, 08:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 133.91 MB
Hello aussiejeff,
welcome from Italy!