PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 09-17-2021, 05:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.64 MB
Obligatory Introduction

I guess I'm supposed to write something in order to become and remain a member. I have been building with cardstock since 1980. In about 2002, I met George Taylor (just prior to his launching his company, Paper Creek) and had an epiphany when he told me he created his artwork with an Epson inkjet printer. I went home, cranked up Photoshop, and have been creating structures from inkjet printed card or art paper ever since.

I own Westlake Publishing Company and published Finescale Railroader magazine for many years. I gradually transitioned that into three annual books; the last appeared in 2014. I still host a small Modeler's Forum that includes some of the world's most talented builders.

It's unlikely I will post much here but I'm the only one on my forum working mainly with paper so I'll no doubt spend time lurking. And I may have a question or two ... or maybe even an answer should somebody ask me anything.

Incidentally, I see no reason for pseudonyms. My name is

Russ Reinberg
Google Adsense
Old 09-17-2021, 05:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Welcome Russ:
Lots of different modelers are here on the forum, ask questions or lurk which ever you are confortable with .
Enjoy,
Miles
Old 09-17-2021, 11:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 452.18 MB
Hello Russ, and welcome!

You neglected to mention your excellent article in the December, 2005 issue of Finescale Railroader on cardstock modeling.

There is a lot of talent here, and we would certainly welcome anything you feel like contributing.

Nice to run into you again- You may not remember me, but 15-20(ish) years ago I used to create and submit ads to you for "The World's Largest Model Train Store"...

Welcome aboard!

Glenn
Old 09-18-2021, 06:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Good to see you Russ...
Old 09-18-2021, 02:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.03 MB
Nice to meet you, Russ.
Google Adsense
Old 09-18-2021, 10:12 PM

Thanks to each of you for welcoming me. And, yes, Glenn, I certainly remember you; after you left, they never found anyone as competent.

I'm rather surprised to hear from the four of you and wasn't planning to post anything unless somebody seriously wants to see a model. From what I've seen on various forums, I probably use a somewhat non-traditional method to create my structures.

Russ

Last edited by finescalerr; 09-18-2021 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 09-19-2021, 07:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 73.24 MB
Welcome finescalerr! I too remember the article in Finescale Railroader on cardstock modeling. I have never understood why cardstock hasn't replaced "plastic" for structures in many cases. Thanks for joining the forum.
Old 09-19-2021, 07:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Dear Russ :
Non traditional approch to paper modeling fits right in to the forum we all like to see different aproches to the craft.
Enjoy,
Miles
Old 09-19-2021, 07:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 452.18 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by finescalerr View Post
Thanks to each of you for welcoming me. And, yes, Glenn, I certainly remember you; after you left, they never found anyone as competent.

I'm rather surprised to hear from the four of you and wasn't planning to post anything unless somebody seriously wants to see a model. From what I've seen on various forums, I probably use a somewhat non-traditional method to create my structures.

Russ
Wow, thank you for the compliment sir.

Non-traditional- Wood that be the bracing (see what I did there) like you did in your article ?

It would be interesting to see what you have done. After all, your magazines catered to the ultra-realism crowd, and to show that cardstock modeling can hold its own in that arena is what we like to see.

BTW, ever see Dave Meek's On30 Thunder Mesa Mining Company layout? His structures are 100 percent cardstock.
Old 09-19-2021, 10:01 PM

Here's part of a 1:48 scale warehouse I build a couple of years ago. The stairs, deck, and freight dock are wood because I wanted those parts as durable as possible. Everything else is paper. And, yes, there is a lot of internal bracing, mainly wood, inside. I was trying to create a finish realistic enough to compete with advanced painting and weathering techniques. -- Russ
Attached Thumbnails
Obligatory Introduction-close.jpg  

Last edited by finescalerr; 09-19-2021 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Too clumsy to post image on first attempt.
Google Adsense