PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 01-24-2022, 10:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
Doonie from Orstraya.

G'day. It's hot here this time of year. Too hot to get out in the shed where all my models, plus UFO's, are laying around waiting for attention. I have an Artesania Latina "Atlantic" tug up to the part where it floats, goes and doesn't leak. But it's too damn hot to get out there and get on with it so I am having a go at paper models. I am an absolute newbie, neophyte, virgin and I know nothing about the sport. I found a thing on the web called a Delphin which I have downloaded and made a start on. Wow, this is a really tricky sport.
I'm a retired bloke with a lot of skills to do with RC trucks, cars' boats and a bit of planes but this looks like being a far bigger challenge than I thought.
Google Adsense
Old 01-25-2022, 10:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Welcome.

If it's hot where you are it must be Western Australia - the other side of Australia hasn't been real hot this year.

It's all too easy to get in over your head as a beginner - if you're finding it too hard perhaps back off and find an easier model until your skills come up to match your ambition. I know jack about ship models but there are plenty of people on this forum that do.

Regards,

Charlie
Old 01-25-2022, 03:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.03 MB
Welcome from the UK., old bean. Spiffing to meet you.
Old 01-25-2022, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieC View Post
Welcome.

If it's hot where you are it must be Western Australia

Charlie
South East Gippsland surprisingly. We are having a long hot humid spell and it is getting up my nose.
Thanks for the reply
Old 01-25-2022, 03:46 PM

Thanks Charlie and Phillip, and Charlie, I know even less than Jack but if determination counts, I'll get there.

I finished old number one, the Delphin. Well, finished to my satisfaction and it will get a place on the shelf so that I can look at it every now and again to check my progress. I have a "Dona Diana" on the way from Papermodel.com.au. Keen to get started on this new journey.
Google Adsense
Old 01-26-2022, 09:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 133.91 MB
Hello Doonie,
welcome from Italy!
Old 01-26-2022, 05:37 PM

Location: Ripon, WI, 20 mi from Oshkosh - center of the Aviation Universe
Total Downloaded: 1.51 GB
Howdy, Doonie, from USA. I have a sister-in-law from Orstraya. She's been here 30 years and still sound like she just walked in from the bush. "I like my accent! Gonna keep it!" A wonderful lady, bit crazy though.

I like to send newbies, virgins, and acolytes to Currell Paper Models. His V-1 and V-2 rockets are nice models with excellent instructions. They are free and they will teach you many of the basic techniques. They also make nice display models.

If you are into architectural models, look in the download section here for the Randsburg Barber shop. Mine always gets mistaken for a wood craftsman kit.

I'm sorry to hear about your heat wave. Here in Wisconsin (the "Great White North") we don't have that problem just now. Our temp tonight is heading toward -27 C. and it's too damn cold in the basement to work on my model RR. I mention this in the hope that just thinking about -27C. might cool you off a bit.

Cheers!
Old 01-27-2022, 07:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Welcome from nearby in the Western Sydney area (Spring Farm). I myself am just getting started. Just finished my last Piececool metal ship (have all 9 WWII ones now) the HMS Hood... now starting my first paper 1:200 kit.

-Andrew
Old 01-28-2022, 05:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.13 GB
G'day mate. From an US expat in Burnett Heads, QLD
Old 02-01-2022, 09:44 PM

The learning process continues. I make mistakes and I, hopefully learn from that. Here is a little progress vid. I am making random stuff whilst I wait for the Done Diana to arrive. Hopefully I will be skilled enough to do a good job of that when it does get here. Cheers.

Progress 1 - YouTube
Google Adsense