PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Zio Prudenzio Contest

Old 05-27-2011, 06:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Looks like a challenge, but the SM79 is one of my favorites and this should be a good-looking model when done.

After the museum-quality Lysander you produced for the Old Troll Mały contest, I have great faith that you will manage to do a fine job on this one, Chris.

Don
Old 05-28-2011, 08:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Upscaled mine

When I downloaded these kits, they were very simple, but colorful in 1/72 scale. I wanted them larger so I scaled it up to 1/48 scale. I must say, they did not scale well enough due to their simplicity and the type of design ( essentially a one piece fuselage. Anyhow, they were stil fun builds.

Here are pictures of some that I built about 10+ years ago.

Isaac
Attached Thumbnails
Prudenzio Contest SM 79-sm79.jpg   Prudenzio Contest SM 79-fiat-g50.jpg   Prudenzio Contest SM 79-breda.jpg  
Old 05-28-2011, 09:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Isaac, those look fine and your build of the SM 79 will be a great reference for me, thanks. I can see where Zio's kits wouldn't scale up very well. The same seems true of scaling them down, if my kubelwagon is any indication.
Chris
Old 05-31-2011, 12:26 PM

Just to show that I have actually begun this one, here's a few shots of the fuselage and tail feathers coming together. I decided to go with separate connecting strips and I think I'm glad I did. As with a number of Zio's kits, there's some stressing of the paper to make the fit and the strips held well.
Work is busy this week, so progress will be slow.
Prudenzio Contest SM 79-img_4861.jpg

Prudenzio Contest SM 79-img_4862.jpg

Prudenzio Contest SM 79-img_4863.jpg
Old 05-31-2011, 12:48 PM

Nice work on that fuselage and tail assembly, Chris. Modification noted for future reference. I printed the Ba.65 on bond paper during the weekend and it appears to be close to 1/72 when shrunk to letter size. Once the Carden Loyd is complete, I will give the Breda a go and may try one of the SM.79s eventually. I will be particularly interested in seeing how you construct the undercarriage.

Don
Google Adsense
Old 05-31-2011, 01:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Great, clean build so far. Just one thing to let you know is that the stabilizer wings are on backwards. Still an amazing build
Old 05-31-2011, 01:20 PM

:roll eyes:
I have to stop building these things when I'm watching TV. I just assumed the folded at the leading edge like every other plane I've built. I think Zio designed them this way just to confuse me. I'm afraid it's all too obvious that I'm not very familiar with this plane! Thanks for pointing that out, I will fix.
Chris
Old 06-01-2011, 01:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.02 GB
Very nice SM-79, watching with interest...
Old 06-01-2011, 10:39 PM

Well, I should have taken the hint after I put the tail wings on backward. The main wings have gone slightly worse. After managing to fix the tail, I ran into a plethora of minor misfits and assembling on the main wings. I won't go into all the oddities and irregularities; all I'll say is that I don't like to not finish a model, no matter how bad. I consider them all learning experiences and it's good to see them all the way through regardless. Having said that, if it weren't for the money being donated to Zio for each completed kit of his, I'd toss this one right now.
Prudenzio Contest SM 79-img_4865.jpg
After much test fitting, I couldn't seem to get all the angles and edges to meet up, so I decided to glue the bottom of the wings on in hopes that I would be able to line up the upper surfaces after. This proved only partially successful;

Prudenzio Contest SM 79-img_4869.jpg

When I finished gluing the wings, I discovered that the wings torqued noticeably. Haven't done anything this bad in years. Undaunted, I assembled the engines and found there was no way I could possibly get them lined up properly on the plane.

Prudenzio Contest SM 79-img_4870.jpg

Yes, I know I also forgot to color the inside of the fuselage engine cowl. I'll get it.
Anyway, I'm going to finish this for Zio's sake alone. Still have landing gear, props, and guns to do.

Prudenzio Contest SM 79-img_4871.jpgPrudenzio Contest SM 79-img_4872.jpg

Chris
Old 06-02-2011, 08:15 AM

Too bad about the misfit parts. There is certainly very little of evidence of your trials and tribulations visible in the photos (except perhaps for what looks like a little gap above the downthrust nose engine).

I still want to try to build this one, but will keep all of your lessons learned in mind.

Because this is such a popular aircraft with some of us, and because of the very beautiful Zio colors, I think it would be worth while for you to set out all the mods you found necessary to produce an acceptable finished model. Knowing all that in advance would help enormously for those of us who also try to build this Sparrowhawk.

Don
Google Adsense