PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Zio Prudenzio Contest

Old 05-27-2011, 10:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Prudenzio Contest SM 79

After I finish up the Stuka, I'm going for the Savoia Marchetti SM 79. I like tri-motors but have yet to build one and this seems like the perfect opportunity. The kit is two pages and I suspect it's one of the largest of Zio's plane models. It looks to be about the same size as a small 1/33 fighter model.
Prudenzio Contest SM 79-zp-sm79.jpg

There are no instructions and I've spotted a few parts that I have no idea what they could be or where they fit, so some investigation is in order before I get going on this one. Has anyone built this kit before?
Chris
Google Adsense
Old 05-27-2011, 10:31 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjwalas View Post
After I finish up the Stuka, I'm going for the Savoia Marchetti SM 79. I like tri-motors but have yet to build one and this seems like the perfect opportunity. The kit is two pages and I suspect it's one of the largest of Zio's plane models. It looks to be about the same size as a small 1/33 fighter model.
Attachment 89834

There are no instructions and I've spotted a few parts that I have no idea what they could be or where they fit, so some investigation is in order before I get going on this one. Has anyone built this kit before?
Chris
I noticed that last night when thinking oh do a plane no instructions. what you need is the bear do who tends not to bother looking at the instructions then wonders why he got four parts left over. trust me on that I have not finished many models that I don't end up with spare parts.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 205.52 MB
As Humphrey Bogart once said "Instructions, we don't need no stinking instructions." As long as you finish it does not matter how many parts you have remaining I wouldn't think.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:57 AM

I agree that just getting the thing finished is more important than whether you used all the parts or not, but I like the challenge of trying to figure it all out. As a lot of us have discovered, this hobby is often as much puzzle-solving as it is building.
Chris
Old 05-27-2011, 02:33 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
some of the parts might actually be from the Torpedo the maritime versions carried
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Google Adsense
Old 05-27-2011, 03:00 PM

Thanks Rick! Your suggestion was a double help. I downloaded one of the torpedo versions and sure enough, there was a set of instructions telling me that unknown parts on my model are torpedo hangers. Plus I notice that I was wrong, the kit DOES have a diagram sheet. It was just so small in the PDF that I didn't notice it. (Must have coffee before paper models)
Thanks again!
Chris
Old 05-27-2011, 03:36 PM

I have started this one...same version...but I'll bet your's will be better. One reccomendation: cut one set of tabs off, as it makes it MUCH easier.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ju52man View Post
I have started this one...same version...but I'll bet your's will be better. One reccomendation: cut one set of tabs off, as it makes it MUCH easier.
I'm assuming you mean on the fuselage, right? I had that thought as I looked at the print out; I have never tried the double tab system he uses and it does seem that it might be easier as you suggest. I'll try it, thanks.
Chris
Old 05-27-2011, 04:22 PM
Eternal Member

it may well work out better i thought it was to give strength when it has no formers. its a pity my wing now seems to be curling like the wicked witch of the wests shoes in the wizard of oz. started doing it just now in fact it is starting to be like one of them fish things got in Christmas crackers and is curling up really slowly only noticed it now and the curl is worse than it was then minutes ago and the glue has to be dry for about two hours now.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:25 PM
cModerator

Total Downloaded: 37.66 MB
Send a message via AIM to cMags
The double-tab system does wonders to keep a rolled tube straight. It forms an I beam down the centerline and helps avoid twisting. Just make sure you color the tabs to match body color so you don't see the gap, and I think you'll like the results. I've used this method on long cylinders and it is very effective. I'm looking forward to trying it on multiple parts like Zio's models.
Put on hold build (someday I'll finish): F-35A Lightning II 1:72
Previous builds: cMags' Card Model Builds
Google Adsense