PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Zio Prudenzio Contest

Old 06-05-2011, 03:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Thanks, Don. Then it is clearly a landaulette. I love those terms for horse drawn vehicles and early automobiles and am glad to be able to refine my vehicle nomenclature.

And I hope to get this particular landaulette assembled soon.

Don
Old 06-06-2011, 01:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 23.50 MB
Hi Don,
I saw the construction of the tires is very good, at least for this scale.
To get an idea of proportion, maybe you can help these sites:

Rolls-Royce Classic Car Tyres | Longstone Tyres
1920 Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost Images (40/50 HP, 40/50HP) | Conceptcarz.com

Orazio
Old 06-06-2011, 05:42 AM

Thank you for stopping by and for providing these useful sites, Orazio. I now feel more comfortable about the width of the tires and, after looking at many of the pictures, am more certain that Zio has produced an impressionistic version of an early 20th century Rolls Royce, rather than a particular vehicle. The body style seems to put it in the pre-WWI period, but so far, I haven't found any image of a Rolls Royce with spoked wheels. They all seem to have either wire or solid steel wheels.

Don
Old 06-06-2011, 07:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
It's coming along nicely, Don! I really like your work with the wheels.

Wyvern
Old 06-06-2011, 12:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 58.50 MB
Very useful links(ta) - and -
1914 Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost Images, Information and History (40/50HP) | Conceptcarz.com
1914 Rolls-Royce Limousine

but it seems you need to go back to 1907 for spokes
1907 Rolls-Royce 40/50 HP Silver Ghost Images, Information and History (40/50HP) | Conceptcarz.com

Google Adsense
Old 06-06-2011, 01:36 PM

Thanks, Looker. I think we are closing in on the prototype. Allowing for a bit of artistic license (8 spokes instead of 10 and a few other minor points), I tentatively conclude that Zio based this model on a surviving blue 1914 Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost Double Cabriolet.
Film and Photgraphic Work
1914 Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost Barker Double Cabriolet | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Old 06-06-2011, 01:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Brilliant deduction, Holmes!
chris
Old 06-06-2011, 02:40 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
In addition to a nice build and sometimes a new trick or two, your threads are always educational. Thanks Don for all around good build threads.

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 06-07-2011, 09:13 PM

Big Tsimmis

Belated thanks to Wyvern for stopping by to give encouragement.

Chris – As Holmes said after finishing a plate of pasta: “It was alimentary, Watson.”

Ray – Many thanks for the nice words, Flyboy!

After a long day of grading papers, I decided that, among the three on-going Zio projects, the Rolls would be the easiest. Just goes to show how clouded my crystal ball is.

It started out well enough. I glued on the cabriolet body and the driver’s seat. Image 7A.

Image 8 shows how the driver’s compartment goes together. Note that the dash board folds down behind the lower edge of the windscreen. I thought it would be nice (and easy) to put glass in the windscreen by cutting out a second copy from bond paper, taping down some cellophane from a chewing gum package, and gluing the windscreen frame to the cellophane. Image 9.

While this conglomeration was drying, I decided to glue in the luggage chest. Dry fitting it, I found that the white interior showed behind the inward curve of the cabriolet body, so I painted the inside dark blue, cut a rectangle of black from the bond paper copy of the model, and glued it to the open end of the chest. Image 10.

Now life began to get complicated. Remember, this is a model that I started a long time ago. I had already folded down and glued the dash board. Image 11. This made it impossible to attach the newly fabricated cellophaned frame, so I cut the dashboard away from the cowl and carefully cut away the second thickness of paper. I then cut out the frame that was glued to the cellophane expecting to simply glue it to the back side of the windscreen frame.

Image 12. That’s when I discovered that the paper copy of the windscreen frame was narrower than the windscreen frame on the old model.

This morning at the office I read Leif's lament about a printer that prints a little off in one dimension. Lo and behold I found that, while the windscreen I printed today is wider than the old one, it is the same height. Image 13 shows how the old model compares in two dimensions with the one I printed today.

Image 14: Thinks: “Why not simply print out a new driver’s compartment that will be compatible with the paper copy?” Answer: “Because then the entire driver’s compartment will be out of proportion to the existing model.” [This turned out not to be true, but I didn’t discover that until I had done a lot more work.]

Image 15: I decided to cut the old windscreen away from the driver’s compartment and cut it to fit the new paper copy. When I cut it away, the cowl shaped itself into a curve, so I glued the dash panel to a piece of thick card. See also the steering wheel crudely cut out and a steering wheel column rolled from a piece of brown paper (the kit instructions call for the wheel to be glued directly to the dash board).

Image 16: I applied glue to the inside of the cowl and the top of the dash board (those to whom the words “banana oil,” “dope,” and “carve balsa to shape” are still meaningful will also remember the term “double gluing”) and pushed the dash board down against the cowl.

Image 17: These are all the parts I fabricated this evening. I found that I had glued the windscreen frame on sloppily, but the overlap will be on the inside.

Doing a trial fitting, I found that the driver’s seat interferes with the gluing tabs on the sides of the driver’s compartment, so I cut them a way a bit. Then I found that the driver’s compartment is actually a little too wide for the chassis. A new one cut from the copy I printed today would probably fit, but it’s late, so I am going to sleep on the situation and see how I feel about it tomorrow. Image 18 shows the status of the build tonight.

I realize that compared to the work Darwin is doing on the Alpha Romeo and many of the other superb builds in the Forum, this is kid stuff, but for my skill level, it’s pretty challenging.

More later,

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Prudenzio Contest - Rolls Royce by Boose-zio-rolls-royce-007a.jpg   Prudenzio Contest - Rolls Royce by Boose-zio-rolls-royce-008.jpg   Prudenzio Contest - Rolls Royce by Boose-zio-rolls-royce-009.jpg   Prudenzio Contest - Rolls Royce by Boose-zio-rolls-royce-010.jpg   Prudenzio Contest - Rolls Royce by Boose-zio-rolls-royce-011.jpg  

Prudenzio Contest - Rolls Royce by Boose-zio-rolls-royce-012.jpg   Prudenzio Contest - Rolls Royce by Boose-zio-rolls-royce-013.jpg   Prudenzio Contest - Rolls Royce by Boose-zio-rolls-royce-014.jpg   Prudenzio Contest - Rolls Royce by Boose-zio-rolls-royce-016.jpg   Prudenzio Contest - Rolls Royce by Boose-zio-rolls-royce-017.jpg  

Prudenzio Contest - Rolls Royce by Boose-zio-rolls-royce-018.jpg  
Old 06-07-2011, 09:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Other than the mis-sized prints, I had the same issues as you on this. I did manage to crush in a bit of cellophane in the window frame, but it wasn't a joyous experience. The driver's compartment was where I had the most issues as well. I too, had to trim the tabs.
I chose the coward's way out on the size of it and simply crushed the section to fit.
Your addition of the steering wheel shaft makes a big difference.

And I sympathize with your troubles printing new to match an old printed copy. I'm still struggling to sort out a single page on a Bristol Beaufighter that I can't get to match.

You are most definitely elevating the eye appeal of this appealing little kit!
Chris
Google Adsense