PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Zio Prudenzio Contest

Old 07-30-2011, 08:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 271.84 MB
Zio Prudenzio Contest - Gr-950

I've been building about 8 models simultaneously for the last two or three weeks while I wait for my accountant to approve the purchase of a new set of markers that has a better range of grays than my current set, so I figured that since I don't need the grays for this one (yet) I should settle down and focus on getting this one done. So here we go.

I printed on 110lb bright white card stock already printed with another model - these were extra pages, and since I had no alternative, a guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do - using my company's color laser. I was able to get it very close to true HO by printing it at 24%. This results in a deviation of less than 2mm over 27cm.

As I mentioned in Darwin's build thread for this model, getting the frame of this model together has been the bane of my existence for the last two weeks or so.

My first attempt I didn't understand Zio's pattern of folding pieces in half, and so the frame rails were cut out and trimmed separately, then glued together. I folded the deck according to the markings on the piece and the instructions, no dry fitting at all - but the instructions don't match the model in this case! The instructions call for a 90° bend near the front of the deck, when the model (at least, if you match the deck to the rails) requires a curve. Combine this with the curves being too big, and I thought this was a throw-away.

My second attempt I got some new card stock from a friend at work - 100lb but more ivory than white - and I added ~1mm cardboard between the faces of the rails to add strength. This certainly made it harder to cut, but the resulting rails are definitely straighter and stronger than the first set. Getting the deck right, however... so I learned from my previous mistake, and this time dry fit, dry fit, dry fit before scoring and folding. Didn't help. I started from the back, made the two tiny 90° folds, and dry fit again - and it didn't fit. I trimmed away at the rails to make it fit, then moved to the first curved fold. Again, dry fit, dry fit, dry fit, then score and fold - and again, it doesn't fit, but somehow this time the first fold is now where it should have been, making my trimming unnecessary! I'm starting to wonder if maybe the first set is better, and THIS one is the throw-away. Or will I have to make a 3rd attempt?

So I bit the bullet and decided to proceed with my first attempt. All in all, I'm quite pleased with how it turned out. It's not perfect, but if a master modeler such as Darwin can accept the irregularities in the deck (I mean no offense here - I'm just a perfectionist) then I should learn to accept them as well.

Moving on to the boiler, I decided to deviate a bit and go for the seamless join instead of the flaps. I'm pretty pleased with the results here. The orange on the front of the frame is just a quirk of my lighting, the model doesn't actually look orange.

More to follow as I go!
Google Adsense
Old 07-30-2011, 09:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Looking good. Sometimes one must be pragmatic and accept that perfection need give way to 'the-best-I-can-do.' I took the same approach to the boilers...I hate tabs.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Another great build of this engine. Lookin' good.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:23 PM

I forgot to take pics of the progress, so all you get to see is the end result of this weekend's work... I can say without a shred of doubt that this is the most difficult model I've ever attempted - and I haven't even begun the fiddly bits!

I've encountered/identified a few errors in this model... firstly, the sides of the deck/platform that extend to either side of the cab are the underside of the downward-facing deck, with no upward-facing piece(s) to provide coloration. Darwin chose to color his red, as well as coloring the edge of the deck red - I went with black because I'd already colored the edges of the deck black. Secondly, there are two tabs under the front of the water tanks that don't seem to attach to anything. If I do this build again, I'll cut those off. Finally, it seems that the boiler doesn't line up with the cut-outs in the water tanks. This pushes the tanks outward, and contributes to the overall torquing of the model.

Speaking of torquing, the pressure needed to square the corners of the boilers and the main cab has severely warped this build. If I do this again, I'll have to be much more careful.

The build continues!
Old 07-31-2011, 10:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
The jig I cobbled together for holding my model was very effective at keeping it straight during the build. I wound up removing those tabs as well...it almost looks as if Zio intended putting in a part to close the bottom of the 'shelf' at the front of the water tank.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:31 PM

Just realized I had the front of the boiler on wrong... time for surgery!
Old 08-17-2011, 08:03 PM

Long overdue update... life has gotten crazy, but I'm still hoping to get this done by the deadline, and maybe a P51 as well.

The pieces are going on, bit by bit.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:55 AM

It's time for me to officially throw in the towel. I may have bitten off more than I can chew with this one - there's no way I'm getting this done by the deadline, and with the mistakes I've made, there's no way I'm going to be happy with the result.

This has been a very interesting experience for me - I've definitely learned a lot about paper modeling that I didn't know before, and hopefully that'll lead to better quality models, so it isn't a total loss.

Thanks, Zio Prudenzio, for some very good (but very difficult, at least in this case) models, and thanks to this forum for introducing me to them. Best of luck to everyone competing!
Old 08-25-2011, 05:50 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
I think your ok there is talk of an extentsion to the end of the contest Darwin i think wants to tackle a ship that Zio added on Tuesday are monday afternoon. His not the only one wanting more time Darwin and i think that build of yours looks great. Is that printed on photo paper it looks glossy

Last edited by doctormax; 08-25-2011 at 06:23 AM.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Fine looking model, Dabeer. Don't give up, it looks so nice.
Seems there may be and extension in the works.
Google Adsense