PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Zoo

Old 03-02-2013, 08:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin WS View Post
I am enjoying the build at the moment, and it is nice to do something that requires a bit of thought! Trouble is I don't have much time to do it, what with working and renovations and being tired!
I know the feeling. All this stinking snow here. Ten-hour days of work (with computer issues sticking their ugly heads in there) then dealing with snow. I've only done a couple quick buildings for the neighbor kid to use with his HotWheelz.

The bird looks really good, even if it isn't 100% by the book. If you do a second one from the scan, with the 'proper' alignment, you could have two birds in-flight, which could be interesting. I do a lot of those little Java sparrow models for a nursing home, and slightly adjusting the size of the print, subtle changes in wings and position of head makes for more variety. That's another option for this model, too.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.12 GB
Thanks for the build pictures

I received the woodpecker kit as a Xmas present from my wife....had a bear of a time trying to understand the directions provided in the kit....

My first try at the build has been a disaster...after seeing your build pictures I can see why I had problems....I will try another build now....hope for better results.....I also have a kit for the Owl and that huge Osprey....any chance of seeing build pictures for those guys.

Thanks a lot for the build pictures
Old 03-02-2013, 01:31 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
The Osprey I will do soon - i am about to order as I have nearly scratched the money together.

And yes, Lakedad, the instructions are rough.

Two things I have found are really important.

1. Assemble the parts in exactly the sequences shown. You can figure out sub-assemblies to do but still follow the assembly sequence.

2. Align to the end of the "arrowed lines" when gluing. Dry fit to make sure you can do this and keep flexing the paper unitl you can. Critical, otherwise the shape will not be right and things will subsequently not fit.

Have done a bit more and will post the pics when I get to my computer.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
I had the Osprey scanned today. I've now printed it out at half size on A4.
It still looks like it's gonna be massive.

Incidently while it was being scanned, I asked what the cost would be to copy and print it to A3 card. 22 pages in colour = £55 plus the £5 I paid for the scans.

It's cheaper to buy one from Diderick.

I guess I'll be cutting up the original if I decide to go full size after making it up in 1:2 scale.

I'll try and remember to set the camera up on a tripod while I'm making the 1/2 scale one. As Kev has found, you get carried away with these things and totally forget to take pictures at the pertinent stages.

Johnny.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:34 AM
Eternal Member

I look forward to seeing this progress!

Varnish the fish in gloss?
Old 03-04-2013, 09:05 AM
Eternal Member

Nearly there – head to be made and go on and that’s it! Two parts only for the head – the head and the beak!

Picture 1 – the head before assembly. It requires quite a bit of flexing beforehand so it can be shaped without creasing. I flexed the head up and then working it by pulling each “tab” to its location, re-flexing if it did not quite go etc. Patience!

Picture 2 – The head glued together and ready to attach to the beak. The beak is made up and filled with glue to give some strength to the point.
I then attached the head to the body and lastly attached the beak to the head. I did the latter last as I had the feeling that with the head on the body the beak would be easier to align. It was!

Picture 3 – the finished bird.

Picture 4 – a close-up, warts and all.

I wanted to paint the eye gloss and test on some scrap – gloss varnish, Johnsons Pledge, and an acrylic varnish. None worked vrey well. So I will have to think of something else. Maybe some enamel varnish.

Anyway, a nice build, which I enjoyed doing – once I had figured out how to read the instructions! Next Bird Mobile should be easy!
Attached Thumbnails
Lesser Spotted Woodpecker-2013-03-04-04-23-58-pm.jpg   Lesser Spotted Woodpecker-img_6821.jpg   Lesser Spotted Woodpecker-img_6827.jpg   Lesser Spotted Woodpecker-img_6829.jpg  
Old 03-04-2013, 09:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Turned out real good.
Yep, those instructions do take some interpretation.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:40 AM
Eternal Member

Thanks Doug.

And here is the bird "in flight".
Attached Thumbnails
Lesser Spotted Woodpecker-flight-1.jpg   Lesser Spotted Woodpecker-flight-2a.jpg  
Old 03-04-2013, 04:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
For a first Bird that is really excellent Kev. All that edge colouring really does pay off doesn't it? How have you suspended it? Can't see a thread at all. or have you "manipulated" the photo?

I'm nearly half way through the 1:2 scale Osprey (Body, tail, and 2/3 of a wing). Even at half size this is way too big for my work space. I may have to take over the kitchen table for the assembly stage. God knows where I'll go to make up the full size one.

If you thought the Woodpecker instructions (or lack of) were complicated, I suggest you do a bit more practice on a few of the freebies before taking on the Osprey Kev. It does have four pages of instructions, but again they are just pictures and not too easy to interpret.

There are subtle little tabs that are cunningly disguised as feathers, and very easy to miss. Once you've found them and look back at the instruction sheet ... they ARE shown, but not in a way that draws attention to them. A couple of times I've had to stab cut them on a made up part. There are also shaping cuts in amongst the feathers that would be so much easier to find if they were marked in a prominent colour. They are so well blended in they wouldn't show if they weren't cut, but it would make it very awkward to get the parts to fit properly.

Needless to say, again I got so engrossed in the model that taking pictures got completely forgotten.

Johnny.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:49 PM
Eternal Member

Thanks Johnny.

I actually suspended it on thread and then photo shopped the thread out.

------------------------------

Do not blame you on the pictures. I actually find it quite disruptive, and it throws me out of my stride sometimes!