PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Zoo

Old 02-01-2015, 08:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 164.37 MB
Birdmobile - Merlin - is this a record?

It probably is. Since I started importing Malcolm Topp's Birdmobile series here in Holland back in 2001, lots of small shops and nature visitors' centers sold them like hot cakes. Especially when I offered to build a sample merlin for them. I kept track, and I am now working on number 44. Not quite blindfolded, but with the same satisfaction at seeing the wonderful natural shapes growing in your hands!
First picture: all double thickness parts ready and edge-colored, body and tail taking shape.
Picture 2: Body finished, wings nearing completion.
Many more paper bird pictures on my Collection: www.flickr.com/photos/zeist_bouwplaten/
Attached Thumbnails
Birdmobile - Merlin - is this a record?-merlin-1.jpg   Birdmobile - Merlin - is this a record?-merlin-2.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 02-01-2015, 09:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Dear Diderick:
How often do you have to get a new water color Box of Paints? And Do you try to match the color or go lighter or darker? I am still using water color pencils and just going for close in color. Seeing your photo may have pushed me over the edge to get a water color set to try.
Thanks,
Miles
Old 02-01-2015, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Linnabery View Post
Dear Diderick:
How often do you have to get a new water color Box of Paints? And Do you try to match the color or go lighter or darker? I am still using water color pencils and just going for close in color. Seeing your photo may have pushed me over the edge to get a water color set to try.
Thanks,
Miles
Believe it or not: I have been using this box regularly for over 20 years... but have had it since my first grammar school years, ca. 1956. Black is now nearly finished. I hate throwing things away unnecessarily, so I hope I can get a refill. White is another story: you have to get a new tube every few years, because it dries out.

I always make the colour slightly lighter than the printed colour: it dries up darker while soaking into the edge of the paper.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:47 AM

While working on this I had the following idea. It is difficult for many people to imagine the fascination of a piece of paper gradually changing into a naturally shaped 3D object. So now you can try for yourself. Copy and print the picture, then build the head yourself. Size between the two ballpoint arrows is exactly 17cms.

The instructions are as follows:
'Cut 46A and accurately position on 46. Score 46 with care against the curved edges of 46A. Shape 46 so that all tabs overlap, then first glue tabs above eyes followed by top, lower, then sides. (My addition: the eyes are curved inward, resulting in hollows). Glue 47 to shape and glue on to 46. Shape and glue on 48. Bend and glue together top edges only of beak 49, then attach.'

If you build this, you will probably agree with me that these natural curves are much better (and yes, more natural) than any computer generated animal...

Have fun.
Attached Thumbnails
Birdmobile - Merlin - is this a record?-merlin-3.jpg  
Old 02-01-2015, 01:59 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Well Diderick, I think you have two records here - one the number of Merlin builds (clever idea that by the way and great marketing), and secondly the lifespan of your paint box!
Old 02-01-2015, 02:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 263.00 MB
Have you recolored the model? The one I purchased 31 years ago wasn't nearly as vibrant. I finally built it last year for my wife.

If you have redone these, where are the available?

Beard
Old 02-01-2015, 02:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diderick A. den Bakker View Post
If you build this, you will probably agree with me that these natural curves are much better (and yes, more natural) than any computer generated animal...
Thanks to building many of Malcolm's hand drawn marvels, I started ignoring most of the fold lines in Pepakura or similarly generated animals. This makes construction a lot more difficult, but it allows the card to fall into much more natural curved forms. It also helps greatly if you build from a line-less print, or at least a softened outline.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
Thanks to building many of Malcolm's hand drawn marvels, I started ignoring most of the fold lines in Pepakura or similarly generated animals. This makes construction a lot more difficult, but it allows the card to fall into much more natural curved forms. It also helps greatly if you build from a line-less print, or at least a softened outline.
Just after I wrote my remark about computer generated 3D models, I remembered an example. There are some Pepakura models out there of Hieromymus Bosch animals. They can be printed with or without folding lines. As they are definitely not easy, this is a great idea: you can practise on the version with folding lines, then build a much more natural one without the lines.

The 'helmet bird' in the picture was built by Carlos Felipe. More in my Collection on www.flickr.com/photos/zeist_bouwplaten/
Attached Thumbnails
Birdmobile - Merlin - is this a record?-helmet-bird.jpg  
Old 02-01-2015, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Beard View Post
Have you recolored the model? The one I purchased 31 years ago wasn't nearly as vibrant. I finally built it last year for my wife.

If you have redone these, where are the available?

Beard
Well spotted. The change from traditional offset printing methods to digital techniques has indeed made the colours a lot livelier. As stocks ran out over the last few years almost all Malcolm's models have been re-issued by his wife and his daughter, using the original drawings. (Malcolm has not been involved, but of course gave his consent - he handed over the whole business to them many years ago).
I have no idea if they are available in the USA at all - but you can of course order them via my website at zeistbouwplaten.nl, where you will find them on Page Diversen > animals.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 263.00 MB
Thank you,

Beard
Google Adsense