PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Zoo

Old 01-16-2021, 06:46 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
A very attractive model. Excellent work as always. They are common and bold little birds. One in particular would take seed directly from the palm of my grandfather's hand (early '70s memory). Speaking of the early '70s, the Boreal or Brown Capped Chickadee used to be equally as common in the mid-Hudson Valley winter months back then. I haven't seen one in close to 50 years.
Old 01-16-2021, 06:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickstef View Post
I did not, I have been able to collect all the Birdmobile kits, so yes, whenever I get to them.....

I do have some of Johan's kits from Leon Schuijt, I doubt that I will have trouble with the instructions

Rick
My memory might be going ha, some birdmobile models are available in the US through the Northwest Nature Shop, not expensive and ship quick. I did get the merlin and the osprey.. the printed kits of Johan are a bit pricy to ship but the Barn owl looked too tempting anyway
Old 01-16-2021, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer View Post
Hi Glen,

Another beautiful build.

Just can't imagine how you "reach" inside such a small opening to glue the rump. From the scale of the marker, that opening doesn't look like my little finger when I was 10-y/o would fit.

Thank you for bringing the sounds back from last summer.

This time of year only Ravens, Eagles and Magpies are outside. Watched some Ravens this morning just as it was getting light in the sky, but still dark on the ground (9:56am sunrise today). Doing some kind of dance, about 6-total.

Best regards,
Mike
Thanks Mike it sound very different where you live, but would love to see the birds up there sometime (summer nesters anyway ha)
Old 01-16-2021, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithdr View Post
And I complain about one petal design on a spinner. Very neat job, Glen.
Did I tell you my wife got me a paper red-tailed hawk for Christmas? I need to make that one up soon.

Dan
Thanks Dan the small size of these is a bit challenging but I have built much smaller ha, I don't recall a Redtail, except the FG version? There are some very nice models for this sort of thing on Canon papercraft, the peregrine was fun.
Old 01-16-2021, 06:35 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Quote:
Originally Posted by birder View Post
My memory might be going ha, some birdmobile models are available in the US through the Northwest Nature Shop, not expensive and ship quick. I did get the merlin and the osprey.. the printed kits of Johan are a bit pricy to ship but the Barn owl looked too tempting anyway
Well, check out Pete Heesch's site https://hbprecisioncard.com/
He has some of the LS bird kits, so you might be able to save on postage being Stateside instead of coming across the big pond
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Google Adsense
Old 01-16-2021, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCEtoAUX View Post
Great looking model of an engaging little bird.

I like the way the chickadees here will fly to the birdfeeder, grab a sunflower seed, then flit away to a nearby branch to process and eat the sunflower seed. Then repeat as necessary.

They will also sometimes fly right close and land when I am filling the feeders, waiting for the hooman to hurry up and get finished with that all important function.
Cool Doug it seems like alot of work for a sunflower seed to open them individually doesn't it?
Old 01-16-2021, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockpaperscissor View Post
A very attractive model. Excellent work as always. They are common and bold little birds. One in particular would take seed directly from the palm of my grandfather's hand (early '70s memory). Speaking of the early '70s, the Boreal or Brown Capped Chickadee used to be equally as common in the mid-Hudson Valley winter months back then. I haven't seen one in close to 50 years.
They are cool little forest inhabitants, all the Chickadees, the boreal can be found at high altitudes, Otherwise it is mostly the BC and Mountain chickadees in this area rarely the Chestnut backs show up in the winter
Old 01-16-2021, 06:42 PM

The branch and base are similar to my other ones, foam core covered by a picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Black Capped Chickadee-dsc_0637.jpg   Black Capped Chickadee-dsc_0645.jpg   Black Capped Chickadee-dsc_0642.jpg   Black Capped Chickadee-dsc_0644.jpg   Black Capped Chickadee-dsc_0636.jpg  

Old 01-16-2021, 07:44 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
I am becoming a "Birder" student.
It is a pleasure to watch you build them.
But just as much fun . . . I am learning an awful lot about the various species when you describe their habits, habitat, and other characteristics, as you did with this one.
So I look forward to reading more.
Mike
Old 01-17-2021, 06:48 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
A beautiful little thing. Truly a work of art.
Google Adsense