PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Zoo

Old 12-31-2022, 03:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
Getting back to the flicker, I did change the rump/tail cone part quite a bit to get the wings to go on easier, and the first picture shows this revised. then to the wings, the Primaries are backed with orangish paper, and glued together showing some area of this backing to trim around the primaries, and the secondaries are glued where tabs. They glue together simply, when a bit dry quite a bit of curve/warp of the wings needed, with almost 90 degrees or so looking from the front of curve added with some inward curve along the black primaries. The tail construction is pretty similar leaving a bit of extra white showing of the lower part to trim the top. The tail slot is cut in the tail cone and with quite a bit of curve the tail slides in place lining up straight, and glued in place.
Old 12-31-2022, 04:59 PM

Getting back to the flicker, I did change the rump/tail cone part quite a bit to get the wings to go on easier, and the first picture shows this revised. then to the wings, the Primaries are backed with orangish paper, and glued together showing some area of this backing to trim around the primaries, and the secondaries are glued where tabs. They glue together simply, when a bit dry quite a bit of curve/warp of the wings needed, with almost 90 degrees or so looking from the front of curve added with some inward curve along the black primaries. The tail construction is pretty similar leaving a bit of extra white showing of the lower part to trim the top. The tail slot is cut in the tail cone and with quite a bit of curve the tail slides in place lining up straight, and glued in place.
Old 12-31-2022, 05:03 PM

some pictures, just a note regarding the wings I found it easier to glue the front first reaching into the model from the front to set there, and lining up about the same length for both putting the second one on, I also put some glue (I used ca gel) to glue the underside of the wing to the tail cone to hold the wing closer to the body in the back.
Attached Thumbnails
Northern Flicker new model-flicker14.jpg   Northern Flicker new model-flicker13.jpg   Northern Flicker new model-flicker12.jpg   Northern Flicker new model-flicker11.jpg   Northern Flicker new model-flicker9.jpg  

Northern Flicker new model-flicker7.jpg   Northern Flicker new model-flicker8.jpg   Northern Flicker new model-flicker6.jpg  

Last edited by birder; 12-31-2022 at 05:15 PM.
Old 12-31-2022, 05:24 PM

I did take a picture of using a card piece glued perpendicular to add width to the bill and glued lengthwise, does not have to extend to the base of the bill very close, can be quite a bit shorter than the bill. Gluing the head on is simple adding to inside of head rather than to the body part, and holding with pressure long enough to be firmly set. The head is meant to turn to the R a bit, as can be seen in the photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Northern Flicker new model-flicker4.jpg   Northern Flicker new model-flicker5.jpg   Northern Flicker new model-flicker2.jpg   Northern Flicker new model-flicker1.jpg  
Old 12-31-2022, 06:13 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Really looks good in that final photo!
Google Adsense
Old 12-31-2022, 06:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 263.00 MB
Very nice, great job.
Old 12-31-2022, 07:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Another excellent bird model. By coincidence, a northern flicker spent the day in our back garden. First one I have seen for a long time. I would lke to believe that your model brought it back, Glen. Don
Old 01-01-2023, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Mash View Post
Really looks good in that final photo!
Thank you Mike!
Old 01-01-2023, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Beard View Post
Very nice, great job.
Thanks again, this one has been really fun since is entirely my own
Old 01-01-2023, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
Another excellent bird model. By coincidence, a northern flicker spent the day in our back garden. First one I have seen for a long time. I would lke to believe that your model brought it back, Glen. Don
Your response is quite kind Don, thank you, what woodpeckers do you more commonly see? Red Bellied or Downies?