PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Zoo

Old 12-19-2022, 02:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
Northern Flicker new model

I've been absent from here for awhile but working on this one, my first one designed in a computer modeling program, to pepakura to unfold, then to work the confusing mess of polygons to a bird! It helps that advances in programs makes this especially timely. You tube to learn ect.
Once a pattern is settled on...... this is a process....then to paint scan, improve ect ... I think this one is about ready to show.

I guess although the flicker is the best known American Woodpecker, may a bit of info, even if one of the first birds most learn when you start noticing birdlife. Most of you are familiar if you live in North America, this bird can leave in suburban (urban?) environments (parks,ect.) as has a wide range of diet, and is generally resident where it lives regardless of the winter, as turns from bugs on the ground (ants are a special favorite) to leftover fruit and tree boring larvae in the winter. They are social birds and I believe they stay in a family group through the winter as do the Geese. When you come upon a tail or wing feather of a flicker when you are hiking, just looking at the markings is a wonder.

Blender, what an awesome program, coupled with Pepakura is amazing.

Last edited by birder; 12-19-2022 at 02:35 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 12-19-2022, 02:26 PM

Starting with the body, upper and lower parts.
Attached Thumbnails
Northern Flicker new model-model1.jpg   Northern Flicker new model-model2.jpg   Northern Flicker new model-model3.jpg  

Last edited by birder; 12-19-2022 at 02:47 PM.
Old 12-19-2022, 03:01 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Looking forward to your Flicker Glen.
Your birds are always a pleasure to see.
Looks like a “scratch” build . . . very interesting.

Mike
Old 12-19-2022, 03:10 PM

Thank you Mike, your suggestions and support have been helpful for me to get over my reluctance to learn 3d computer modeling
Old 12-19-2022, 03:18 PM

The tail cone is then glued to the the lower body and the upper part glued on to this, and sighting from the back giving about yhe same amount of room for the wings the tab from the back is glued to the tail cone.
Attached Thumbnails
Northern Flicker new model-model4.jpg   Northern Flicker new model-model6.jpg   Northern Flicker new model-model7.jpg  
Old 12-20-2022, 09:40 AM

As I type a flicker is on the suet feeder....it is on the deck post so can hear it hitting the suet like it's a tree. After attaching the body parts, then
moving to the head there are a couple spots that I try to avoid overlapping the card (I'm using 90 lb but I think it is mismarked as feels thinner more like 75 or so). if needed I put a bit of typing paper behind the seam. I think it goes together ok and then the beak is formed can be glued flat with the tabs only, and then spread from the open end after dry, if any separation of edge can use a tiny bit of ca glue. With a bit of touch up paint on the edge of the bill it can be glued on pretty easily.
Attached Thumbnails
Northern Flicker new model-model8.jpg   Northern Flicker new model-model9.jpg   Northern Flicker new model-model11.jpg   Northern Flicker new model-model12.jpg   Northern Flicker new model-model13.jpg  

Northern Flicker new model-model14.jpg   Northern Flicker new model-model15.jpg   Northern Flicker new model-modelbill.jpg  

Last edited by birder; 12-20-2022 at 09:55 AM.
Old 12-20-2022, 10:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
I went and looked it up and what a beautifull bird. Looking forward seeing the final result. Good work so far (I tip my hat for the desing work).

Tappi
Old 12-20-2022, 11:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 263.00 MB
Will this be available for purchase, my wife loves these birds and we have theme visit in the winter.

Great job!
Old 12-21-2022, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapcho View Post
I went and looked it up and what a beautifull bird. Looking forward seeing the final result. Good work so far (I tip my hat for the desing work).

Tappi
Thank you! I see Birthday greeting are also in order The equivalent European bird might be the green woodpecker
Old 12-21-2022, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Beard View Post
Will this be available for purchase, my wife loves these birds and we have theme visit in the winter.

Great job!
I love them too, I hope to have it available still tweaking things.... as always