PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Zoo

Old 05-11-2023, 10:46 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Nice to see a new scratch built flyer.
I don't know if I have ever seen a Northern Shrike.
Regarding its size: What other type of bird is it comparable to?
Old 05-11-2023, 02:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
Thanks Mike, this has been fun but each one is a bit more work than I think its going to be ha. This is not a common bird since nests in the far North and not often noticed in the midwinter fields that it may be found in. They are slightly smaller than a Robin (10 in) but seem about the same size
Old 05-14-2023, 07:23 PM

The base is pretty sturdy and I tried to make it interesting, in order to be strong on the bevel there are 2 boxes inside, the upper is glued by the perimeter to the top, and the lower is glued by the tabs folded under
Attached Thumbnails
Northern Shrike new model-b1.jpg   Northern Shrike new model-b2.jpg   Northern Shrike new model-b3.jpg   Northern Shrike new model-b4.jpg   Northern Shrike new model-b5.jpg  

Northern Shrike new model-b6.jpg   Northern Shrike new model-b7.jpg  
Old 05-14-2023, 07:30 PM

The branch goes together pretty easily, and the bend in the middle helps to make it look a bit better, and discs glued over the open ends. The smaller branch needs a little ca glue to be solid at the upper attachment to the larger branch, and later when holes are made in it you have to remember is just a cylinder of card..
I thought to attach well to the base, a hole is cut for the white joining part, and to be solid should go through the lower box too. This the branch slides over and glues easily, let it dry well.
Attached Thumbnails
Northern Shrike new model-b8.jpg   Northern Shrike new model-b9.jpg   Northern Shrike new model-b12.jpg   Northern Shrike new model-b13.jpg  
Old 05-14-2023, 07:49 PM

next up are the feet and the trickier part of positioning the bird. The feet are pretty simple, scored and folder (I used a popsicle stich here to fold over) the inside part of two forward toes need paint, I like acrylic I think they are strengthened a bit with this, but have to wait for it to dry.
Wire is put inside the folded leg and the hind toes glued together I used floral wire but any small wire is fine, although I think it should be glued with ca glue gel to be really solid, although other glues can be used. Now to see how they fit on the branch, with holes made in the branch about 3/4 inch apart, with the feet facing in this direction, facing the other way is harder, but it's up to the builder. the marked holes on the bird are opened with a blade, and the legs go most of the way into the bird model, dry fit it to see, then pull them out a little to glue them into the bird with white glue. the feet go back into the branch the way you liked them, and draw down on the wires under the branch to bring the feet to the branch, position the bird straight about as shown, then prop the bird up to dry the legs in this way.

Both the legs in the bird and the feet on the branch need ca glue to stabilize them, but I like to glue in the legs with white glue first to be sure you like the way it looks, then can add the ca when dry.
Attached Thumbnails
Northern Shrike new model-f3.jpg   Northern Shrike new model-f5.jpg   Northern Shrike new model-f11.jpg   Northern Shrike new model-f13.jpg   Northern Shrike new model-f10.jpg  

Northern Shrike new model-f15.jpg   Northern Shrike new model-f16.jpg   Northern Shrike new model-foot-d.jpg   Northern Shrike new model-f7.jpg   Northern Shrike new model-f8.jpg  

Northern Shrike new model-dsc_0369.jpg   Northern Shrike new model-dsc_0372.jpg  

Last edited by birder; 05-14-2023 at 08:12 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 05-14-2023, 08:16 PM

the above picture are a bit out of order, the legs are glued into the body with white glue and the bird propped up to dry and positioned straight the leg that is lower needs to be a little longer below the bird to have the bird level, the the balance about straight when the eye stripe is level ...
Old 05-22-2023, 04:42 PM

I was able to upload this to Ecardmodels this weekend, thank you to those that have bought it. I think the perch and base could be adapted for other uses, originally I drew the base to go with the Yellow Rump warbler model, but never did complete it then. I hope this builds up ok let me know on private message if you have any question on this or the flicker.
Old 05-23-2023, 07:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 204.72 MB
That one turned out great, I will have to show these to my daughter to see if it sparks an interest in her.

Doug