PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 06-30-2009, 08:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 12.28 MB
CD,
This build is looking better and better!

I sure wish mine turned out that good when I first built her. Thanks all for the kind words! That really helps keep us designers focused on finishing up works in progress!

Best Regards,
Old 07-01-2009, 12:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 140.78 MB
Hey Ron, looking at the blank 1:350 ship gave me an idea. Could you perhaps put up the modular pieces without registry numbers and pinstriping, and maybe include some letters and numbers along with the pinstriping on a separate page? I'd like to create a 1:350 Saladin out of the kit.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 195.91 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chthulhu View Post
Be sure to check the fit of the cutout in the secondary hull's forward section where it fits around the pylon; that was the area I had the most trouble with as it tended to want to push upward on the pylon, and you may want to extend the cutout a bit toward the front.
I'll bear that in mind, thanks Mike.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:21 AM

The secondary hull forward section, although not entirely finished, is ready to be mated to the rear:-

You can see here just how much I had to extend the cutout for the front of the dorsal pylon, thanks for the warning about that Mike . I did this by gently pushing against the opening with the back of a pair of angled tweezers, then slitting the tabs still further:-

Well, the two halves of the secondary hull are now one. I must confess that I'm not entirely happy with this join. I think there might be a very slight discrepancy with the diameters of the two ends, as they didn't seem to come together quite as expected. Either way there is a slight, but pronounced, step between the two halves. It's not really that bad I suppose - I can certainly live with it!:-

All that's left to do now is to add the last and smallest of the brown deflector amp rings and the dish, and the primary + secondary hulls are finished:-

Next up are the warp nacelles!
Old 07-03-2009, 05:00 AM

The main body of the port warp nacelle is formed:-

You can just see the pylon positioner in place here:-

I've glued the rear end on too:-

This is the fin assembly that fits between the nacelle itself and the bussard collector (or propulsion dome, as Ron calls it):-

I came across a slight problem when glueing the petals of the dome - there seemed to be too many of them! Whether this was because I'd cut off all the tabs here and edge glued them or not I don't know:-

I had to cut one of the petals off to close everything up satisfactorily, and here is the finished article resting in place on the fin assembly:-

Unfortunately, due to it being one petal short it's a bit smaller than intended and doesn't quite cover up the white area like it should, plus the three 'strap' details don't match up. I'm not quite sure whether to leave it like this or to try again:-
Google Adsense
Old 07-03-2009, 07:04 AM

UPDATE:- I've just had another go with the starboard nacelle's dome, and this time I was successful in assembling it as intended . I obviously must have done something different this time, don't know what though!
Old 07-03-2009, 07:08 AM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwheatley View Post
UPDATE:- I've just had another go with the starboard nacelle's dome, and this time I was successful in assembling it as intended . I obviously must have done something different this time, don't know what though!
The way to go matey... if at first you don't succeed - try and try again ! you did and you WON Looking great thus far, but never expected any less from your hands mate
Old 07-03-2009, 07:13 AM

Thanks Pete . I really didn't want to do this part any more than necessary as I hate doing petals, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist so I felt compelled to give it another go!
Old 07-03-2009, 07:28 AM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwheatley View Post
Thanks Pete . I really didn't want to do this part any more than necessary as I hate doing petals, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist so I felt compelled to give it another go!
It's that PERFECTION you {we} desire that spurs us on to do the very best that we can... no matter what it takes. Some interiors to aircraft i have made in the dim and distant past had every little bit painted even though it wouldn't be seen.... my dad {not with us anymore} used to say i was nuts to do that level of work in an area what wouldn't get viewed properly... i said yes, but if it got dropped on the floor and broke into several parts it would then be seen ! Oh well maybe i was barmy Keep to your perfection mate and never compromise your builds cos you would never be happy with the end result. You are an EXCELLENT MODEL BUILDER !
Old 07-04-2009, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter taft View Post
You are an EXCELLENT MODEL BUILDER !
Wow thank you Pete, very kind and much appreciated .

A little more progress - here is the port warp nacelle, very nearly finished:-

The plan is to get the other nacelle up to this stage as well, and then add all the little greebles and nurnies that will finish them both off.
Google Adsense