PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 09-02-2009, 10:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Kolywopter Beta (cabin)

As I am sure all are aware Outersketcher (David Church) is designing a retro-futuristic flying machine he calls the Kolywopter.

I recommend you visit his site cover and click on the red button.

The kolywopter design thread starts here Kolywopter

I have started a beta build of the Kolywopter's cabin. So far I have only cut out a few of the door pieces for one side but I am so excited about this model I felt I had to post something. Besides freehand cutting this many inner and outer circles is about all that I can handle for one evening.

The cabin is eight pages of extremely well organized parts, a one page template for the cabin and door glass and five way diagram view of the kolywopter. There are 6 pages of step-by-step instructons with clear exploded diagrams for each assembly.

The only thing I have noticed out of sorts so far is a couple of un-numbered parts on page B.
Attached Thumbnails
Kolywopter Beta (cabin)-koly-1.jpg   Kolywopter Beta (cabin)-koly-2.jpg   Kolywopter Beta (cabin)-koly-koly-2a.jpg   Kolywopter Beta (cabin)-koly-3.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 09-03-2009, 09:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Those unmarked pieces are part of the wing cable setup. Specifically, the point where all the wing cables meet at the top of the cabin.

There needs to be a hole...

David
Old 09-03-2009, 10:54 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 23.70 MB
That last picture of the all those rings, remind me of the insides of a time piece.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
You've got a very steady hand to be able to cut those rings so uniformly.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 12.28 MB
Wow! This is looking better and better!

Best Regards,
Google Adsense
Old 09-05-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outersketcher View Post
Those unmarked pieces are part of the wing cable setup. Specifically, the point where all the wing cables meet at the top of the cabin.
There needs to be a hole...
David
David - thanks.
silveroxide - I was thinking the same thing
rmks2000 - I have found that using a magnifying visor enables me to see the lines better and therefore cut better circles. That and a little patience of course.

I built the cabin exterior twice (so far) the first time I used CA glue. As you can see it separated in a couple of places plus I managed to get some on the plastic (yuck).

The second time I used Terrifically Tacky Tape (R). Amazon.com: Terrifically Tacky Tape 1/8 In. x 5 Yds.: Kitchen & Dining
This stuff is fantastic. It comes in a variey of widths (and sheets), is extremely thin and cures to a permanent bond in 24hrs. It is a bit finicky to work with as it starts curing as soon as exposed to air but does the trick. I got the door frame on one side then some how managed to cut myself and bleed on the exterior skin. Do I build it a third time grrr (it is a beta build after all).

Absolutely not problems so far. I trimmed two pieces for length (about 1mm) but I think that is to be expected in any build.

cheers
~Douglas
Attached Thumbnails
Kolywopter Beta (cabin)-koly-.jpg   Kolywopter Beta (cabin)-koly-b.jpg  
Old 09-06-2009, 02:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
In rolling the paper pieces to the cabin... I used 3M Super 77 spray glue. My favorite for laminating different materials to each other. You can get it at Home Depot in the US.

Maybe I should put that in the instructions...

That tape idea sounds easier on the lungs.

Turn that blood spot into a grease stain maybe?

David
Old 09-06-2009, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outersketcher View Post
In rolling the paper pieces to the cabin... I used 3M Super 77 spray glue. My favorite for laminating different materials to each other. You can get it at Home Depot in the US. Maybe I should put that in the instructions...That tape idea sounds easier on the lungs. Turn that blood spot into a grease stain maybe? David
I have the spray glue and it is mentioned in the instructions. I have trouble aligning full sheets of card before they stick together. I could not even imagine trying to do it with these parts cutout.

I covered the blood stain with a reprint of that area of the outer skin. Not an elegant solution but it looks better than the mess.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:11 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
It's a good omen - blood sacrifice to the gods of paper (works in carpentry or boatbuilding anyway - got to put some blood into it somewhere).

Yogi
Old 09-07-2009, 08:53 PM

I got the other door frame on, I will probably print the tabbed part on thinner paper on the final build when it is released. It works fine as is but thinner paper will (I think) result in a cleaner build. Yes the tabs are required on this piece.

I put a patch over the blood sacrifice, not pretty but less offensive.

I started on the interior. No problems here. I did add a few pieces of reinforcement (probably not required). I decided to make part part 31 (foot pedal cable) out of wire. I am not sure where it is supposed to terminate. David, does it just get glued to the bottom of part 20 as in photo a? If so the wire will have to be trimmed for length.
Attached Thumbnails
Kolywopter Beta (cabin)-koly1.jpg   Kolywopter Beta (cabin)-koly2.jpg   Kolywopter Beta (cabin)-koly2aa.jpg   Kolywopter Beta (cabin)-koly2ab.jpg  
Google Adsense